Why do you post videos? - poll attached

michelew

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I was talking to another TG'er about the 'fact' that the number of video posts seems to have gone down a little recently. In the interest of newer members and as a reminder and encouragement to long-serving members who haven't done it for a while (or perhaps ever), I thought I'd kick off a discussion about posting videos. Why do you do it? Why don't you do it? What are the benefits? What stops you? What do you love and hate about it?

I've created a couple of polls too; one here "Why do you post videos?", another in a new thread, "Why don't you post more videos?"

For me, I post for a whole bunch of reasons, the main reason changes often. I'm happy for you to choose the "all of the above" option. Or, tell us why you primarily post.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Shel (on a wet, wet, wet and cold day in Sydney).

Music Junkie

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Hey Shel...

I voted "I never Post", cause I am a chicken. Not much of an excuse, but it's honest.... ;)

J

michelew

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:15 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Hey Shel...

I voted "I never Post", cause I am a chicken. Not much of an excuse, but it's honest.... ;)

J
Damn! I just posted the other poll, I forgot the "buck, buck, buguuuuuuuuuuck" option. :) :) :) :)

MJ, if I can get over my camera nerves, there's hope for EVERYONE, even you. You know you want to. :) :) :) we don't bite. :) close your eyes, run and jump; you just might learn how to fly before you hit the ground. Otherwise, we'll all catch you. Promise. :)

Shel

TGNesh

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 am

Yep, indeed all of the above! ;)

daryl

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 am

I voted "so I'll finish a song properly". That's my primary motivating factor. If I didn't have that goal, I probably wouldn't know any songs all the way through.

But I also post videos to record the fact that I do know how to play the song, and if I don't play it for a while, I can go review my own video to quickly remember all the parts and how I played it.

I also post videos because I find it a lot of fun to do the multi-tracking production thing.

And Jason, please don't be chicken. You could start like I did and just show your guitar. No one would know it's you. And the best part about video recording yourself, is that if you don't like the way it turns out, you can always delete it before you upload it. I used to have extreme gitters when the camera was on. But I've come to see the camera as some inanimate object that's just there on my desk (like my coffee cup). It holds no power over me. I hold the power over it! If I don't like what it "sees", I just hit the delete button and try again. And I only record no more than 3 or 4 minute snippets. It's not like I record for a continuous hour, though I may work all day (or all week) on a video. Please give it a try. And I'd be happy to help in any way I could.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:36 am

I voted all of the above as they're all valid.

Mainly for constructive criticism from Neil and now Vanessa, although I'd hope the instructor best suited to the song advice on it,
which would be I assume based on their experience playing it. I think that's a fair comment, what do others think.

Also seeking advice regarding how to move forward from where I'm at with respect to the uploaded song.

:)

dennisg

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:46 am

I'm with Daryl on this: if it weren't for the busking threads and open-mic nights, I'd have more trouble learning songs all the way through and then retaining them. But having a specific plan for a song is strong motivation to whip it into shape. I think that if it weren't for the busking threads, I'd never record myself; but I'm glad I do, if for no other reason than to have a digital scrapbook of my accomplishments.

And I would never discount the fact that it just feels good to have other people appreciate my hard work and passion.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:14 pm

I post because if I didn't, my life would be empty and meaningless! Well, mostly because its my way of playing with others and having savy people give me feedback or just a pat on the back. I enjoy the sharing. I originally posted to get advice from Neil... and I did so that was a blast!

dtaylor

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 pm

For me it was a way of connecting with the membership a bit more, I've got a lot of useful feedback from Neil as well.

It's been a way of charting progress, since I started as a complete beginner and it's nice to have a record of development to recall al leisure.

The membership is supportive to a fault so one rarely gets critical feedback, that would be my only gripe, if there were more comments that were aimed at weak areas that needed improving I'd probably put more videos up.

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Shel & Daryl:

Thanks for the support. I am not afraid of being seen on video, I just don't really feel that my playing ability is suitable. I get the camera out when I have some quite moments here at the house (vary rare). It just seems that the result is usually pretty bad. So, like Daryl says, I just delete it. I'll get there, but for now, I just continue to play for fun and try to get better a little at a time.

Thanks again for the kind words... ;)

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic