Why don't you post more videos, or any? - poll attached

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:03 pm

You all already know that I consider the video postings the best thing on TG (after Neil's lessons) and there can't be enough IMHO. Recently, I have not had time/energy/inspiration to post much but I have always gotten so much out of everything I have posted... even though I'm still cringing at myself on just about every post... the cringing has become less inhibiting. As Dennis points out, videoing yourself, just as a matter of course, is a great teaching tool.

Jean, we all did the headless player bit on our first videos and then we all came out of the closet. There was no pain. I'm not sure Vanessa's tip about hiding the video will work as you have to click on "public" for us to see it here, I believe, but Vanessa may have already done just that and knows it does work. Ness? Anyway, seeing as the NSA, MI& and the world's entire spy network routinely sees all we do, say, post and think... what's left to hide? :-)

TGNesh

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Yep, it absolutely works!

I have done that several times, I believe Kevin does the same here and there (he often takes them down after a while, but mine are still here). You just need to post the link/url. :)

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I'm not sure Vanessa's tip about hiding the video will work as you have to click on "public" for us to see it here, I believe, but Vanessa may have already done just that and knows it does work. Ness?

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks for that tip Vanessa... good to know!

michelew

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 pm

tgvanessa wrote:

I have done that several times, I believe Kevin does the same here and there (he often takes them down after a while, but mine are still here). You just need to post the link/url. :)

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I'm not sure Vanessa's tip about hiding the video will work as you have to click on "public" for us to see it here, I believe, but Vanessa may have already done just that and knows it does work. Ness?
That's what I do too. If I'm not using the uploader (which hasn't worked for me recently from memory - the busking uploader) then I post a link from my YouTube account and restrict those who can see it to people who have the link. It also means you don't end up with trolls commenting on it, only TGers. It works well.

M

daryl

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:04 pm

michelew wrote:
tgvanessa wrote:

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That's what I do too. If I'm not using the uploader (which hasn't worked for me recently from memory - the busking uploader) then I post a link from my YouTube account and restrict those who can see it to people who have the link. It also means you don't end up with trolls commenting on it, only TGers. It works well.

M
The YouTube options are:

PUBLIC (everyone can see it)
PRIVATE (no one can see it; it's just for yourself or for individuals you allow to see it)
UNLISTED (only those who are given the URL can see it).

michelew

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:22 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Dennis, Willem,

Yeah, I think you are absolutely right. I'm sitting there with guitar and iPad anyway. I should be recording what I play. And maybe I will horrify myself, but since there's no one there to watch it with me . . .why didn't I think of this myself? I guess that's why the Forum is a good thing. OK, so tomorrow ill have a little time on my hands. I record myself to see what happens only if everyone promises to virtually dry my tears if it's that bad. LOL!
It's a deal! I'll have the virtual tissues ready for you just in case Jean. :)

Remember you can rerecord for yourself too, if you're not happy with the take. You can record it until it's as good as it can be on camera. Playing in front of the camera takes practice all by itself. Believe me I was a mess of nerves when I first started. I'm still nervous but much better. The first video is the hardest. They get easier with each one.

Good luck and have fun.

M

Hydroman52

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Michele,

I answered Other. I'm sort of busy, and, when I do have some time, I've usually landed in a location that has slow or no Internet connection. Not condusive to uploading larger video files. Right now, I'm in a band situation, and that takes a lot more than just showing up and playing guitar. As I get older, it takes more time and effort to learn and retain things. There is also no staying up until all hours of the morning trying to get a few songs down like a person can do when they're a teenager. Less energy, more effort needed to do everything. What's with all that?

Hydroman52

Fred

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Michelle - Great topic/poll - I voted "combo"....

Many reasons have already been mentioned and they resonate with me.

I'd say for me, it mainly is a "time" thing. When I practice/play, it's generally well after the dinner hour and while I dont need to be overly concerned with the volume (no little ones that may be disturbed or others in the house cant hear their TV programs, etc), by that time of the day my focus (what's left of it after the workday) is to try practice pointers from my time with Neil while they are fresh in my mind. I also want to "play" songs all the way through. So I may grab a song(s) that I can get through - there are not many, but there is a sense of accomplishment completing a song.

I also need to imporve in other areas - scales and theory beinig near the top of that list...so I try get some work in on those areas.

I do have a camera and if I put my mind to it, I'm sure I could figure posting out....again a "time" thing. :(

I do go back from time to time and re-visit the FOTW sessions. I'd like to say that there has been improvement (at least in the playing department, see improvement area "theory" above - still a work in progress). So I do have a reference point to draw from.

At the end of the day, I'd like to post something at some point in the future. I think it's a goal to shoot for.

Fred

willem

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Fred wrote:
Michelle - Great topic/poll - I voted "combo"....

Many reasons have already been mentioned and they resonate with me.

I'd say for me, it mainly is a "time" thing. When I practice/play, it's generally well after the dinner hour and while I dont need to be overly concerned with the volume (no little ones that may be disturbed or others in the house cant hear their TV programs, etc), by that time of the day my focus (what's left of it after the workday) is to try practice pointers from my time with Neil while they are fresh in my mind. I also want to "play" songs all the way through. So I may grab a song(s) that I can get through - there are not many, but there is a sense of accomplishment completing a song.

I also need to imporve in other areas - scales and theory beinig near the top of that list...so I try get some work in on those areas.

I do have a camera and if I put my mind to it, I'm sure I could figure posting out....again a "time" thing. :(

I do go back from time to time and re-visit the FOTW sessions. I'd like to say that there has been improvement (at least in the playing department, see improvement area "theory" above - still a work in progress). So I do have a reference point to draw from.

At the end of the day, I'd like to post something at some point in the future. I think it's a goal to shoot for.

Fred
The best way to record/film your self a whole song is when there is no one around...play a bit,,practice a bit and try-------------------
Willem

BigBear

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 pm

As a heavy poster of TG videos, I should weigh in here. My Scottish/ New Zealand friend or maybe it's New Zealand/ Scottish friend, Chas, and I have a lot in common. Every time I've done a video I've been disgusted by the results. Plus I don''t have good gear to do it with either. But that's just an excuse. I think bottom line is I don't feel the need to bore you with my stuff. I have a pretty good idea of my shortcomings with the guitar. It's like golf. My only problem as a golfer are the 14 clubs in my bag. If it weren't for those I'd be a pretty good player.

Same with the guitar. If I had the time to play I'd improve but with hand problems and life there just doesn't seem to be much time. Maybe the desire to play isn't there right now. Or maybe I lack the courage.

So to all of you who do post videos all I can say is "well done and keep going". I enjoy them and watch them when I can. I remain in awe of some of you who barely knew how to hold a guitar a couple of years ago and are now banging out some really challenging pieces.

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic