Why don't you post more videos, or any? - poll attached

dennisg

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:00 pm

BigBear wrote:
As a heavy poster of TG videos, I should weigh in here. My Scottish/ New Zealand friend or maybe it's New Zealand/ Scottish friend, Chas, and I have a lot in common. Every time I've done a video I've been disgusted by the results. Plus I don''t have good gear to do it with either. But that's just an excuse. I think bottom line is I don't feel the need to bore you with my stuff. I have a pretty good idea of my shortcomings with the guitar. It's like golf. My only problem as a golfer are the 14 clubs in my bag. If it weren't for those I'd be a pretty good player.

Same with the guitar. If I had the time to play I'd improve but with hand problems and life there just doesn't seem to be much time. Maybe the desire to play isn't there right now. Or maybe I lack the courage.

So to all of you who do post videos all I can say is "well done and keep going". I enjoy them and watch them when I can. I remain in awe of some of you who barely knew how to hold a guitar a couple of years ago and are now banging out some really challenging pieces.

Cheers! :cheer:
1. Many of us are disgusted by our results. We post anyway. Self-loathing is part of the human condition.

2. Most of us have barely acceptable gear. (I record with an iPad.) We post anyway.

3. Many of us have heard you play, and were blown away by your skill.

4. Having an objective, such as posting a video, is a great motivator to learn new songs and techniques.

5. Hey, Rick, post anyway.

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Combo.

1. I don't think I am good enough - I believe this to be true, but it is really a cop out for my fear. I have recorded and posted a couple of things in my time here, but nothing on a regular basis, and nothing that I have submitted for review. To be honest, that is exactly what I should be doing in order to improve. We all know that those who brave the posting water will receive nothing but solid encouragement here. This is about as safe a place to put yourself out there as I have seen.

2. My playing is crappy on camera - Again, another cop out... Truth is, my playing is pretty crappy without the camera too.... ;) I have a night, once in a while, when I am on and I can get through a few songs in a decent manner. It always seems to happen on a night with no camera on. I would just put the camera up every night, but most nights, it is just plain too loud in the house. I have to practice in the living room, and it just seems that everyone else is there too, and the TV is blaring, or the kids are being kids. By the time they hit the sack, I am almost done. I tend to hit the sack fairly early, as I get up for work at 5am. I would love to have a music room where I could just shut everyone out for a bit when I am wide awake and ready to go.

For any reason, I can usually find an excuse, which is something I hope to change soon.

These answers are all very interesting. :)

Jason

michelew

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 am

Fred, Bear and Jason,

Thanks SO much for your responses to this thread, it's great to hear what's happening for you. All I can say is this is the most supportive audience you'll get and if not now then when?

BigBear

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:02 am

dennisg wrote:
BigBear wrote:
As a heavy poster of TG videos, I should weigh in here. My Scottish/ New Zealand friend or maybe it's New Zealand/ Scottish friend, Chas, and I have a lot in common. Every time I've done a video I've been disgusted by the results. Plus I don''t have good gear to do it with either. But that's just an excuse. I think bottom line is I don't feel the need to bore you with my stuff. I have a pretty good idea of my shortcomings with the guitar. It's like golf. My only problem as a golfer are the 14 clubs in my bag. If it weren't for those I'd be a pretty good player.

Same with the guitar. If I had the time to play I'd improve but with hand problems and life there just doesn't seem to be much time. Maybe the desire to play isn't there right now. Or maybe I lack the courage.

So to all of you who do post videos all I can say is "well done and keep going". I enjoy them and watch them when I can. I remain in awe of some of you who barely knew how to hold a guitar a couple of years ago and are now banging out some really challenging pieces.

Cheers! :cheer:
1. Many of us are disgusted by our results. We post anyway. Self-loathing is part of the human condition.

2. Most of us have barely acceptable gear. (I record with an iPad.) We post anyway.

3. Many of us have heard you play, and were blown away by your skill.

4. Having an objective, such as posting a video, is a great motivator to learn new songs and techniques.

5. Hey, Rick, post anyway.

Dennis- I can offer no good defense. You are correct on every point. Thank you for the kind words but I don't share your enthusiasm for my playing. I just have to get off my butt and do it!! :unsure:

michelew

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:44 am

Bear,

I have to agree with Den on all counts. I also really enjoyed your uploads with Gerry. Maybe you need to organise another get together, that might inspire you to play more and perhaps record. Even if we don't see you any time soon, I really hope you find the desire to get some indentations in those big ol' paws of yours.

M

Fred

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am

Hi Michelle;

Related to your comment on a suppoting community - I agree. Being on the FOTW, I've recieved much support from the TG family. They've watched me fumble with chords, struggle with theory and attempt to show improvement over time. And though I've not psoted much feedback to my fellow TG'ers who do post videos, I do applaud them and am inspired by the level of talent that is present here.

Thanks again for a great topic/thread to share these thoughts.

Hi Bear;

Your golf game sounds like mine!

Fred

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic