Why don't you post more videos, or any? - poll attached

jimcjimc

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:19 am

Good question, Michele.

This may sound ironic on a "learning to play the guitar" web site, but after posting quite a few videos on the 3-4 chord busking thread and other busking threads early last year, I resolved not to post any more videos until I learn to play better.

Jim

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:19 am

That's how I feel too. I feel that I would want to be playing half way decently before I post. But the other idea of just doing a video for myself is a good one. And who knows? I might just decide one of those is in decent enough shape to post. I know the videos are not supposed to be considered a performance or anything, but for me they would have to be up to a certain level. But you guys are encouraging a least.

Jean

dennisg

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:34 am

fjeanmur wrote:
That's how I feel too. I feel that I would want to be playing half way decently before I post. But the other idea of just doing a video for myself is a good one. And who knows? I might just decide one of those is in decent enough shape to post. I know the videos are not supposed to be considered a performance or anything, but for me they would have to be up to a certain level. But you guys are encouraging a least.

Jean
Jean,

I can't tell you how many times people have said in this forum that they were playing a song really well ... until they turned the camera on, and then the wheels fell off. I feel for them, but at the same time I know it doesn't have to be that way. I've always been a proponent of aversion therapy, where a person is exposed to the very thing he or she is afraid of, in an effort to become desensitized. Relating this to guitar playing, if the camera scares you, use it all the time. Record your practice sessions, then review how you did. Pretty soon the camera will cease to be a monster and instead become part of your routine. Try it. It works.

willem

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:56 am

hI,, I record myself a lot for how it sounds and see the weaknesses or faults,,I agree the most with Dennis and Daryl and I should work/practice that way(maybe now),, I know a lot but its not whole songs,, I rebind my binders and lets look what I can and not can and which I want to learn(whole song),,

Sometimes I need more tips and do a upload for review,, I know my uploads also in the busking thread but for me it works like a sort of review...

come on and lets show off!!!! lol

Willem

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Dennis, Willem,

Yeah, I think you are absolutely right. I'm sitting there with guitar and iPad anyway. I should be recording what I play. And maybe I will horrify myself, but since there's no one there to watch it with me . . .why didn't I think of this myself? I guess that's why the Forum is a good thing. OK, so tomorrow ill have a little time on my hands. I record myself to see what happens only if everyone promises to virtually dry my tears if it's that bad. LOL!

daryl

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Dennis, Willem,

Yeah, I think you are absolutely right. I'm sitting there with guitar and iPad anyway. I should be recording what I play. And maybe I will horrify myself, but since there's no one there to watch it with me . . .why didn't I think of this myself? I guess that's why the Forum is a good thing. OK, so tomorrow ill have a little time on my hands. I record myself to see what happens only if everyone promises to virtually dry my tears if it's that bad. LOL!
Great news! The really interesting thing here is that if the first video recording you watch is "that" bad, you'll be amazed at how much improvement there will be when you watch the second video recording. Looking forward to hearing your report.

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for the prompting, Daryl. I do appreciate it.

TGNesh

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Gosh Guys and Gal....... :blush: :blush: You're too sweet...... :kiss: and alright I hear you! ;)

Corina, well I do think I will need her help for a Play Through, the song is for some bits kinda out of my range....... :S :P ......so that will happen some time again! :) :)

Jean, if I may add something, I do understand the idea of a video on youtube doesn't feel comfortable. Another thing you could do is to indeed upload it directly to youtube as a 'hidden track' (that way no one will be able to watch it without having the link.) and then post the link in here. You can always take it down at one point. In the meanwhile, just us on the forum will know that it's there and are able to watch it. Just a thought! :)

Ness

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks, TG Vanessa,

That may be an idea too. Let me see hoe things go. B)

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Well as one of the longest serving TG non students (as Neil put it) I voted a Combo. I don't have good enough recording gear, nor am I really savvy with how to use the stuff I do have, certainly with the current job I don't have anything like enough time at present, I am rarely happy with those videos I have made for myself.

I do however get benefit from those videos I have made for myself as has already been suggested to Jean. They really highlighted that my timing sucks and that I need to be more disciplined with the metronome. For some time I felt undue pressure about singing along, now singing I don't do! So should I ever get all my little demons sorted I won't be singing it will be purely and totally guitar!

When my old PC crashed and died I lost a heap of stuff I'd recorded for the TG Banner video and I got quite disillusioned after that.

I have bought a Micro BR for recording now, just have to get my head around how to use it! (Wheres AL when you need him, a course of video lessons on that would be great) I also bought a new Cam which is better than the one I had although limited. I have yet to replace the software for making a decent video as I also lost the version I had , can't recall what it was called now though ... so maybe some suggestions... Movie maker doesn't really cut it.

Just read the other post/poll and I guess should be honest also like MJ doing the funky chicken here also, that's a big part of the reason .... :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic