In a tangle? - staying tangle free - cable care

michelew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Shel, on the shorter cables (3m or less) it is best to hang them on the wall. It allows them to straighten naturally and puts less stress on the shield wires inside the cable. (This is particularly true for video cables) This will reduce future tangling. For cables that are instrument specific, you may want to use color-coded labeling tape and mark each "Go-Zinta" and "Go-Zouta".

Bill

Edit: Oops, sorry for the engineer's slang. "Go-Zinta" = Goes into, "Go-Zouta" = Goes out of. :)
I got the fancy engineering lingo. :)

Thanks for this advice, it's useful. I'm guessing you're one tall man. I'm about 1.7m (5'7" ish) and ... trying to get the end of a 3m cable onto a rack, held by the end I assume (perhaps you're draping them)...well I think I'd need arm extensions. :). I'm assuming that they need to be doubled in some way.

Thanks.

M

michelew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Shel:

I am the proud owner of w huge jumbled mess of cables.... :P I try to keep them rolled up and hanging out the way while not in use, but when I have things plugged in, the cables are laid out all over the floor.

Jason
Thanks Jason.

Haha! Jumbled mess, yep been there. :)

What do you hang them on?

michelew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:59 pm

wiley wrote:
Shel,

First thing, try and avoid mixing audio/signal cables with power cables, even 'sheilded' cables can and will have RFI/EFI if they are 'bundled' together with each other.

I use a 'wrap' sort of thing, like a big long plastic tube cut to circle around cables to 'gather' them. It make it easier to go back, unwrap and put more cales withi the same bunch. I also have a spefic drawer where I store spare/not in use cables, circling them and then putting them in 'baggies'. That way I can see what is what and they are easy to grab. The idea of circling them and doing something like a tie-wrap or one of those tie-wire things also works then hanging them on a wall, if you have the space and/or don't have a drawer for storage.

Busy day today, I'll try and post a few pictures of some of the things I've done around here later, if I don't, just start PMing me crazy like!!

As for the cables lying all over the floor, computer rooms, in the old days, had a 'false' or 'lifted' floor with removable panals so cabling could be installed and replaced/removed and for the most part, not be 'underfoot'.

There are some products out there that do a somewhat decent job of this. More later......
There's some new and interesting ideas in here. Thanks.

M

michelew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 pm

sbutler wrote:
michelew wrote:
Hey Scott!

Haha! :)

Actually, there's absolutely nothing wrong with analogue, many would argue it's better I'm sure, especially in the world of sound. In fact, because you're not being distracted by the hundred million new things there is to learn about electrified instruments and pickups and recording them (pickup settings, amp and pedal emulators, etc.) you can focus on the main game. I'm guessing your guitar skills are more solid. I'm sure I could be much better at play guitars if I spent more time .....ahhhhh... well...playing them...and less time trying to understand through trial and error (mostly the latter) how to get a good sound from the paraphernalia.

Shel (trying to be a sponge....though I suspect it's just another form of marshmallow-syndrome)
Michele, I am envious of those of you that can get such great sound out of your stuff. Neils lessons still amaze me. I've been there with him, and all he has (that I saw) was a tiny little camera, several feet away, and his sound quality is top notch.
Scott, if I could play like Neil.... He is amazing.

michelew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Michelle Wrote:
Has anyone found a good solution that keeps you untangled and protects your cables from damage?
Yep, unplug all leads, hang them in the cupboard, close the door hiding all leads and play acoustic !

:laugh: :laugh:

Can You Spot Michelle Behind The Leads ?
:ohmy:

Sorry Michelle

:blush: :blush: :blush:
:S :S
Dermot,

You're a funny man.

Yep...that looks familiar.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic