capo and keys

willem

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:34 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
TGNeil Wrote:
The key you are actually in is the absolute key- the key the piano or bass player thinks in.
This helps me get my head around it.

I suppose the piano player doesn't have a capo big enough. :ohmy:

Do Bass players use capo's too.... I can't say I've ever seen one"

:blush: :blush:
:S

What key would you tell the keyboard player to play in...!!! ;) :P

TGNesh

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 pm

A keyboard player??

Well I'd tell him to play the same chords and adjust the key with the transpose-button!!! :laugh: :laugh: :P

willem wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
TGNeil Wrote:
The key you are actually in is the absolute key- the key the piano or bass player thinks in.

willem

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 pm

tgvanessa wrote:
A keyboard player??

Well I'd tell him to play the same chords and adjust the key with the transpose-button!!! :laugh: :laugh: :P

willem wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
TGNeil Wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: meeeeeeeeeeeee toooooooooo :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TGNesh

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Whahahaha!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: High five Willem! :P ;) :laugh:

willem wrote:
tgvanessa wrote:
A keyboard player??

willem wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: meeeeeeeeeeeee toooooooooo :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

daryl

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
TGNeil Wrote:

McCartney has used a bass capo:

http://www.sternercapo.se/Capomuseum/Sp ... sscapo.htm

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Daryl

Thanks for the link.

:) :)

michelew

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:36 am

tgvanessa wrote:
Quiz :) :

I was playing in Drop A the other day, strings tuned as: AEADF#B, I was capoed at the second fret playing in the key of G, so what was the absolute key/pitch? What should I tell my pianoplayer???! :P
michelew wrote:
OK - this feels like a trick question and at the risk of feeling like an idiot if I get it wrong...

It doesn't matter what you're turned to, if you're playing in the key of G but you're capoed at the second fret then your pianist should play in A
So...I'm awake now...the reason I thought this was a trick question, was because I thought Ness was saying that after tuning the guitar down she was playing in the key of G in absolute terms. I get now that you meant playing chords shapes for the key of G as if in standard tuning (or drop D).

So the absolute key = [chord shapes as if in standard tuning - if you're using them] adjusted by [tuning] adjusted by the [capo placement]

And hope the bass player knows what they should be playing in :) there's no transpose button... It's all bassist. :)

Maybe I'm just suspicious. This felt like one of those trick physics questions where you get a whole bunch of info like weather, time of day, wind direction, speed of the train, number of passenger and a few station names and the real question is what did the engine driver eat for lunch. ;)

michelew

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:38 am

daryl wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
TGNeil Wrote:

McCartney has used a bass capo:

http://www.sternercapo.se/Capomuseum/Sp ... sscapo.htm
Capo for bass...interesting. I have to say I'd be afraid of being laughed out of the music shop or off the playground by the real bass players. I can see it now, the giggling and the name calling like..."haha guitar player!"

Naaaaaahhh I can't see a bass capo in my future, especially when I'm trying to work on my bass cred. :)

TGNesh

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 am

haha!! :laugh: :laugh:

But you're definitely awake now! ;) And no, I 'never' talk about the absolute pitch or key whenever I capo the guitar or tune it down or whatever. (I'd only mention it as extra info or whenever I do play with a pianist or bassplayer and so on). It's all relative to the capo. I do notice that some on the forum keep mixing it up because of that.

And yes, it does come in handy to know what absolute key you're actually playing in, especially as already mentioned when you play with someone else. But when it comes down to whát you're playing, chordshapes that is, then again, it's all relative to the capo.

So please, lets all look at it as relative to the capo! And keep a picture of an octave of the piano at hand as a reference when you want to know the absolute key.

http://squeezehead.com/uniform-keyboard ... miliar.jpg

My two cents! :)

michelew wrote:
tgvanessa wrote:
Quiz :) :

I was playing in Drop A the other day, strings tuned as: AEADF#B, I was capoed at the second fret playing in the key of G, so what was the absolute key/pitch? What should I tell my pianoplayer???! :P
michelew wrote:
OK - this feels like a trick question and at the risk of feeling like an idiot if I get it wrong...

It doesn't matter what you're turned to, if you're playing in the key of G but you're capoed at the second fret then your pianist should play in A
So...I'm awake now...the reason I thought this was a trick question, was because I thought Ness was saying that after tuning the guitar down she was playing in the key of G in absolute terms. I get now that you meant playing chords shapes for the key of G as if in standard tuning (or drop D).

So the absolute key = [chord shapes as if in standard tuning - if you're using them] adjusted by [tuning] adjusted by the [capo placement]

And hope the bass player knows what they should be playing in :) there's no transpose button... It's all bassist. :)

Maybe I'm just suspicious. This felt like one of those trick physics questions where you get a whole bunch of info like weather, time of day, wind direction, speed of the train, number of passenger and a few station names and the real question is what did the engine driver eat for lunch. ;)

michelew

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 am

It's a deal. :)

I'll go you one better. I'll keep a keyboard close by instead. :)

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic