capo and keys

willem

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 am

tgvanessa wrote:
Quiz :) :

I was playing in Drop A the other day, strings tuned as: AEADF#B, I was capoed at the second fret playing in the key of G, so what was the absolute key/pitch? What should I tell my pianoplayer???! :P
WE can win or lose,,,but win is better.tell the pianoman to play in D?? NOT RIGHT I KNOW..

WHEN I grip a G chord(6 strings) then i get the absolute notes (D)G#BEG#E..what chord is that,,,Jason Marz knows I forgot!!!lol x20003

ITS E!!!! TELL the painoman its E...

WilleM

daryl

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:19 am

tgvanessa wrote:
Quiz :) :

I was playing in Drop A the other day, strings tuned as: AEADF#B, I was capoed at the second fret playing in the key of G, so what was the absolute key/pitch? What should I tell my pianoplayer???! :P
It seems to me that you have tuned your guitar down 5 half steps (and the thickest string down 7 half steps).
Putting the capo on the 2nd fret, makes it as if you have tuned your guitar down 3 half steps (ignoring the thickest string).
Now if your play a G chord on your guitar it will sound 3 half steps lower than standard tuning.
So your G chord will sound like an E chord (G -> F# -> F -> E).

So I say tell the player to play in the key of E.

After it's recorded, if I'm wrong, it can always get corrected in the DAW! ;)

michelew

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 am

OK I can picture it now.

TGVanessa is sitting at her computer giggling her head off (with a BIG smirk on her face as a minimum) because she knows she's gotten at least two of us if not more. I imagine she'll wait until there are a few more responses. Just how many different keys can she collect before she puts us out of our misery and spills the beans on the correct answer?

Ratbag!

B)

willem

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 am

michelew wrote:
OK I can picture it now.

TGVanessa is sitting at her computer giggling her head off (with a BIG smirk on her face as a minimum) because she knows she's gotten at least two of us if not more. I imagine she'll wait until there are a few more responses. Just how many different keys can she collect before she puts us out of our misery and spills the beans on the correct answer?

Ratbag!

B)
I edit my post,,get a wake shelllllllllllyyyy

daryl

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 am

michelew wrote:
OK - this feels like a trick question and at the risk of feeling like an idiot if I get it wrong...

It doesn't matter what you're turned to, if you're playing in the key of G but you're capoed at the second fret then your pianist should play in A
I think you're almost right Michele. Given that Vanessa said "I'm playing in the key of G" then the piano player should also play in the key of G.

But, I think what Vanessa was really saying was "I'm playing in the key of G RELATIVE TO THE CAPO"......

michelew

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 am

daryl wrote:
michelew wrote:
OK - this feels like a trick question and at the risk of feeling like an idiot if I get it wrong...

It doesn't matter what you're turned to, if you're playing in the key of G but you're capoed at the second fret then your pianist should play in A
I think you're almost right Michele. Given that Vanessa said "I'm playing in the key of G" then the piano player should also play in the key of G.

But, I think what Vanessa was really saying was "I'm playing in the key of G RELATIVE TO THE CAPO"......
Yes Daryl, that's absolutely how I took it since we guitar players generally talk about the key we're playing in relative to the capo. If she was playing in the key of G in absolute terms then the piano player would of course also need to play in the key of G.

TGNesh

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 am

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Thanks for playing guys and gal! :) :)

And yeah, we got a winner, DARYL!!! :woohoo: Yes Willem, you got it too! I could 'hear' you shout it, haha! :laugh:

Indeed, if I was just in standard tuning, capo II, playing in the key of G, my pianist or bassplayer should play in the key of A.

Bút I was in Drop A. Well I don't have to elaborate on it, Daryl already did! ;)

And Shel, in what key are you playing 'I'm coming over', on bass I mean??? :P

However, when explaining it to another guitarplayer, i indeed would talk about the key of G. Whenever you put a capo on the guitar, everything is relative to that, period. :)

A ratbag eh??! :laugh: :laugh: B)

michelew

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 am

Damn! I knew I should resist this one.

I play it in E of course!

OK add to the list of things I SUCK at, ... Alternate turnings.

Yes...ABSOLUTELY a ratbag. :) :) :) :P

I'll consider myself well and truly gotten. :)

wiley

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:16 am

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:31 pm

TGNeil Wrote:
The key you are actually in is the absolute key- the key the piano or bass player thinks in.
Thanks Neil

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic