capo and keys

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:52 am

Vanessa Wrote:
So please, lets all look at it as relative to the capo! And keep a picture of an octave of the piano at hand as a reference when you want to know the absolute key.

squeezehead.com/uniform-keyboard/layout-familiar.jpg
What was the link you posted?
It doesn't seem to work for me !

This has forum been another interesting review of the Capo.

Absolute or relative..... absolutely relative !

:)

TGNesh

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:17 am

Haha! Indeed, it's all ábsolutely relative! :laugh: :laugh:

The link was just a picture of an octave on the piano, C to C. For whatever reason I still can't attach pics or pdf's on my posts...... :S

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa Wrote:
So please, lets all look at it as relative to the capo! And keep a picture of an octave of the piano at hand as a reference when you want to know the absolute key.

squeezehead.com/uniform-keyboard/layout-familiar.jpg
What was the link you posted?
It doesn't seem to work for me !

This has forum been another interesting review of the Capo.

Absolute or relative..... absolutely relative !

Sometimes !

:blush: :blush:

:S

:laugh: :laugh:

Hydroman52

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:41 pm

michelew wrote:
daryl wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
TGNeil Wrote:

Do Bass players use capo's too.... I can't say I've ever seen one"

:blush: :blush:
McCartney has used a bass capo:

http://www.sternercapo.se/Capomuseum/Sp ... sscapo.htm
Capo for bass...interesting. I have to say I'd be afraid of being laughed out of the music shop or off the playground by the real bass players. I can see it now, the giggling and the name calling like..."haha guitar player!"

Naaaaaahhh I can't see a bass capo in my future, especially when I'm trying to work on my bass cred. :)

Bassman Jerry has been using a capo (sparingly) for about a year now (he also tunes his acoustic bass down a whole step). We had never seen it done before, but there was a need to quickly change keys to match our singing range. I was sliding my capo around and he was trying to transpose. It was biting into our rehearsal time. I'm not sure how it came about exactly, but I think I threw him my capo and said something like, "just put it on the same fret that I am and play the same patterns as you would if it wasn't there". It's a quick fix and it works, but I guess it's just not too macho or something. One thing that it does is it eliminates the ability to play open strings at the nut where notes seem to have a mellower tone.

Michele, The simpler method is usually the best. I wouldn't worry about anyone laughing at you . . . . . if someone snickers, just tell them you are applying the philosophy of Occam's razor. I've learned that, just because no one is doing something, that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Hydroman52

Afterthought . . . . . why couldn't a capo be used as a tool to learning patterns in different places (Keys) on the fretboard?

wiley

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 pm

michelew

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
michelew wrote:
daryl wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:

McCartney has used a bass capo:

http://www.sternercapo.se/Capomuseum/Sp ... sscapo.htm
Capo for bass...interesting. I have to say I'd be afraid of being laughed out of the music shop or off the playground by the real bass players. I can see it now, the giggling and the name calling like..."haha guitar player!"

Naaaaaahhh I can't see a bass capo in my future, especially when I'm trying to work on my bass cred. :)

Bassman Jerry has been using a capo (sparingly) for about a year now (he also tunes his acoustic bass down a whole step). We had never seen it done before, but there was a need to quickly change keys to match our singing range. I was sliding my capo around and he was trying to transpose. It was biting into our rehearsal time. I'm not sure how it came about exactly, but I think I threw him my capo and said something like, "just put it on the same fret that I am and play the same patterns as you would if it wasn't there". It's a quick fix and it works, but I guess it's just not too macho or something. One thing that it does is it eliminates the ability to play open strings at the nut where notes seem to have a mellower tone.

Michele, The simpler method is usually the best. I wouldn't worry about anyone laughing at you . . . . . if someone snickers, just tell them you are applying the philosophy of Occam's razor. I've learned that, just because no one is doing something, that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Hydroman52

Afterthought . . . . . why couldn't a capo be used as a tool to learning patterns in different places (Keys) on the fretboard?
Thanks for the pep talk Hydro. :)

I do believe in the KISS principle - keep it simple sweetie. - same, same. OK then. I'll keep an open mind. :) Bassman Jerry's cool. No one would laugh at him.

Hydroman52

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:40 am

wiley wrote:
Here in Texas we would say - "Why you keep beating that dead horse Cowboy?"
Tenderizing?

wiley

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:31 am

michelew

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Wiley - well you can use "stupid" if you like. But, it didn't feel appropriate for this audience. :) I've ditched it.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Michelle wrote:
well you can use "stupid" if you like. But, it didn't feel appropriate for this audience
;) Yep .....no politicians here !

Edit
Probably the only politically correct thing I've ever said !!

:ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic