Guitar stand question

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:36 am

I use a combo of stands and wall hangers. I don't get the humidity issues some mention, although I do have a hygrometer sensor from my home weather station in the music room just in case (or not in the case as the case may be)

A 'crappy' stand for my cheapest guitar and an expensive one for my Epiphone

These are all Hercules wall hangers which have the locking bar across the headstock, note all covered by hats from the old TG hat days, only old TG farts like me will understand that comment lol

michelew

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:53 am

Hey Chas, Ahhh...I believe it's possible to understand your hat comment and NOT be an 'old TG fart'. :) Nice hat collection. Tony would be proud.

OK the reason I've responded to this is 2 fold:

- I've purchased several hygrometers and placed them in different parts of the house. (I think I need to go back to the hardware store and get a couple more of the digital one) any way, so as to not hi jack this thread, I'm starting another one on humidity. The results have me a little worried and i'm doing more research.

- I've tried 5 different types of stands. I prefer the Hercules (I have a couple of different ones - I use them for my bass which is very heavy), and the K&M range (solid construction, folds up well, non-reactive rubber). I have to agree with Chris about the crappy one. Perhaps mine was broken, but I found the bottom kept spinning and you had to be careful how you placed the guitar on it (everyone that uses it and you) or it could be knocked off relatively easily (it happened to me quite a few times). I gave it away. The difference in price is $35-60 for the good ones and $15-20 for the cheap one. It's a no brainer for me now. I find the more expensive ones are just more stable and use the weight of the guitar to hold it securely in place, they have the right type of rubber on them too. I like the ones that hang the guitar by the neck and then rest on the pads on side of the stand. That's my a little bit less than 2 cents worth since our dollar is now falling against the US$.

Jean if your guitar is in a place where it's no likely to get knocked and you're only going to leave it out of it's case and on the stand for short periods of time, then the stand probably doesn't matter that much. If you're leaving it out for a while or permanently (like me) and it's in an area where it might be knocked or affected by the floor vibrations of people walking past (bounce a little) then you might consider one of the other models that people have suggested if you get yourself another stand. Either way, you current stand is likely to be fine until you need to visit a music store again at which point you can look at the other options and consider whether the one you have already serves your needs. Good hunting.

M

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:07 am

The "Crap" one causes the guitar to fall of if you are not careful as the bottom part turns around and and tips the guitar off... I had the same experience as Michele. I gave it away too!
The 2nd one has the Hercules grip on it for the neck and works really well and looks good.
The 3rd one (mine is a K&M made in Germany) is very stable and takes up no room at all... an elegant solution.

Ale's Seagull on the K&M stand:

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:04 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
The "Crap" one causes the guitar to fall of if you are not careful as the bottom part turns around and and tips the guitar off... I had the same experience as Michele. I gave it away too!
The 2nd one has the Hercules grip on it for the neck and works really well and looks good.
The 3rd one (mine is a K&M made in Germany) is very stable and takes up no room at all... an elegant solution.

Ale's Seagull on the K&M stand:

What no hats!!!

I've never had a problem with the crappy ones, maybe more luck than design though

wiley

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 am

willem

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:13 pm

Do you collect wood Wiley??

wiley wrote:
Image Image They all turn to 'crapola' when you sit 'em out in the middle of the room! Image

wiley

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Sitting on the couch, 35" Flat Screen, linked to laptop Image

Couch area Image

Window, across from workstation/desk and to left of couch Image

The floor is incomplete, as is the ceiling. Note to Michelle, the boxy sort of thing under the TV and up to it is a 'raceway', two seperate channels lie in it, one for audio, one for power. This wraps around and ties into tHe desk/workstation and has 'notched openings' on the bottom, allowing cabling to be drawn through and then across to devices. One of the ways I keep my 'cabling' tidy.

willem

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Nice pics Wiley,,,WOW thats a music room...Robbie Williams could be jelous..

Willem

ps VIDEO?? from the room

TGNesh

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Gosh.....what an awesome musicroom Wiley!!! :ohmy: :cheer:

michelew

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:15 pm

It's a BEAUTIFUL day in Sydney today, cool but blue skies (no clouds at all) and it's warm in the sun. I've been sitting in my garden playing and now I'm thinking.... Damn I need a guitar stand out here. :) I guess the edge of the bench will have to do for the moment. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic