Newbie question

auntlynnie

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Well, I'm not a newbie to TG, but I know nothing about Guitar Pro.

So what is it, and why would I want it? I'm asking this honestly.

Thanks,

Lynn

wiley

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:35 pm

I use it to tab out songs that I am trying to learn, mostly. It never really occurred to me to use it as a looper. Great idea. One nice thing about it, is that if you open one of the .gp5 or .gpx files that Neil posts, you can listen to the proper rhythm and see it written out. That can be a big help sometimes, at least for me.

Jason

familyman4

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for asking the question Lynn. I've been wondering the same thing for a while too.

Wiley, when you say you can loop it, is that the tabs for the music or is it the actual video and tabs?

Wiley and Jason, thanks for your responses. If anyone else has some feedback for Lynn, I will also be looking in on the answers.

Thanks...
Bart

michelew

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 am

Lynn,

GP is great for hearing what the music as written should sound like, especially for those bits that have an unusual timing. If the arrangement has multiple section, some of which repeat in a complex way, then it will also show you the order that you need to play them in. It does that by jumping you back to wherever you need to be. While playing against the original is really useful (slowed down especially), GP also helps by allowing you to just hear the track you're learning.

I don't use many of its features, but I find it useful for helping me to learn songs.

Have fun.

Shel

willem

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:51 am

Its a tool,,a must have tool,,it reads and playback the tabs given with the lessons,,you can slow down the beats per minute and practice along(but thats all said in de other posts),,It has a very realistic sound,,,

Its a working tool for guitarists,,its on his best when the song is fingerpicked,,the only thing thats bothers me is when a song is written out straight and the playing must be in swingtime it does'nt do that,,(hope you get what i mean)..

Willem

wiley

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 am

tombo1230

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 am

I agree with what's been said already. I use guitar Pro as a slowdowner for sections I am working on.
It doubles up as a metronome and you also hear the timing better. Just loop the tab and set it for your practice speed as
mentioned by Willey.

A handy thing it has as well, is you can add a capo to the tabs, the tab stays as is, but the playback is
at the capo'd tone, so you can play allong with it and it won't jar. This is handy if the lesson is taught with
no capo and you want to play it with one.You change capo settings by selecting the guitar icon if my memory
serves me. Then store the tabs with a new name, xzyxxzy capo 3 etc, etc. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned)

I find this to be probably my greatest guitar playing aid, next to Neil and his great lessons. :)
If you hate using a metronome this is much better. It also has a built in metronome you can have on or off.

I can't recommend it enough. Great for fingerpicking pieces.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 am

There is also a 'freebie' program out there that claims to be just as good as GP. Has something like a penguin type thingy logo, I downloaded and ended up having hell getting rid of an unwanted 'task bar'!! Even the pro level of Malwarebytes would not remove it and that's what it is, malware. So beware the imitations.
-Wiley
This would be Tuxguitar. I have it installed and use it instead of GP (as it is free) with no problems at all.
You need to use Neil's GP5 files in Tux.

auntlynnie

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Wow, thanks for all the information.

Does anyone use the ipad app version? I know it has limitations, but if I only wanted to used it to slow the tempo and loop sections, would the app work for that?

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic