fingers squeaking strings

kep67

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:58 pm

String squeak is driving me crazy! Just started learning a couple Foo Fighters songs - sliding power chords on the acoustic.
Not an issue on the electric as I like the overdrive channel.

I've not really had a problem before, but in the last few days it has become constant.
Filed down the calluses a bit, they're pretty thick. but that did not help much.
I've tried to 'press lighter' on the strings, but that's kind of tough while sliding a power chord.
It seems the same whether strings are coated or not.

Any simple fix?

daryl

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Good question. I'm sure someone will be by shortly with a good/proper answer but have you tried baby powder on your hands or perhaps a hand lotion. I know, the hand lotion will leave residue on your strings and kill them more quickly but it might reduce the string squeaks.

dennisg

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:40 pm

I have not tried this because I don't seem to have a string-squeak issue, but in another forum I use, the guys and gals there swear by polyweb coatings. Not sure what kind of strings you're using, but I know Elixer makes a polyweb string. It's actually cheaper than their nanowebs.

I think baby powder is a good idea. It completely eliminated my diaper rash.

BigBear

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey Kep67, great question. We all fight string squeak. I do NOT favor adding anything to my hands or fingers. Powder might be acceptable but no lotions. One of the reasons strings go dead is a build-up of oils from your hands. If you use lotions or oils you will kill your strings very quickly. I always try to wash my hands before I play.

I love the sound of D'Addario EJ17 Phosphor Bronze strings (I use both Lights and Mediums on different guitars). But they squeak like crazy, especially if my calluses aren't really hard (like now). So, like Dennis correctly said, I long switched to Elixir Nanowebs. The coating on these strings dramatically cuts down on squeaking and the strings last much longer. But not enough longer to justify the much higher cost. We have had severely spirited debates on this subject. Look up the topic in the archives if you are interested.

Everything with the guitar seems to be a trade-off. You lose some fidelity with coated strings but you cut down on squeaking. And you change your strings much less often.

Try a set of Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings and see if you like them. Most people do. And let us know what you think.

Cheers! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:58 pm

BigBear wrote:
I love the sound of D'Addario EJ17 Phosphor Bronze strings (I use both Lights and Mediums on different guitars). But they squeak like crazy, especially if my calluses aren't really hard (like now). So, like Dennis correctly said, I long switched to Elixir Nanowebs. The coating on these strings dramatically cuts down on squeaking and the strings last much longer. But not enough longer to justify the much higher cost. We have had severely spirited debates on this subject. Look up the topic in the archives if you are interested.

Everything with the guitar seems to be a trade-off. You lose some fidelity with coated strings but you cut down on squeaking. And you change your strings much less often.

Try a set of Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings and see if you like them. Most people do. And let us know what you think.

I recently tried the D'Addario version of coated strings with a pack of EXP17's, and they sound very good (at least to me). Basically the same as the Elixirs.

Jason

BigBear

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
BigBear wrote:

I recently tried the D'Addario version of coated strings with a pack of EXP17's, and they sound very good (at least to me). Basically the same as the Elixirs.

Jason

Since D'Addario builds great strings I'd expect their coated strings to be excellent too. Are they any cheaper?

Music Junkie

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 pm

BigBear wrote:
Since D'Addario builds great strings I'd expect their coated strings to be excellent too. Are they any cheaper?
No, much more... :(

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:14 am

Jason and BigBear

Do you know how D'Addario EJ16's compare with EXP17's ?

Just curious as I've been using EJ16's Phosphor Bronze.... non coated strings and they sound good.

That said, I am currently trying Martin 80/20 Bronze light's, although different I like them too.

I suppose it all sends on the guitarist and guitar they are fitted too also

Dermot

mark

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:56 am

String Squeak is caused by the sliding of the fingers on the strings and is worse on the wound bass strings.

To eliminate the squeak you need to lift your fingers off the strings vertically before replacing them on the strings.
So its like a helicopter lift. If you lift off at an angle you will still get some squeak.
I use this technique sometimes if the squeak is noticable, maybe when doing a descending bass run which has a slide in it.
This technique has its problems as well as it makes your playing a little more stracatto and so you have to be a bit quicker at replacing your fingers.

The other possibility is to play a little louder. The volume of the squeak is constant because it is caused by the fingers on the string. If you play louder, the squeak will be quieter relative to your playing.

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:16 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Jason and BigBear

Do you know how D'Addario EJ16's compare with EXP17's ?

Just curious as I've been using EJ16's Phosphor Bronze.... non coated strings and they sound good.

That said, I am currently trying Martin 80/20 Bronze light's, although different I like them too.

I suppose it all sends on the guitarist and guitar they are fitted too also

Dermot
Dermot: The EXP17's are the same size as the EJ17's, only coated. The EJ17's (0.013-0.056) are just a heavier string than the EJ16's (0.012-0.053). Going with a heavier string changes the tone slightly, and so far I like it. It does change the action a little too, so beware.

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic