fingers squeaking strings

snipe

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 am

I use a product called Finger Ease. Cleans and lubricates. Works for me. Get it at Guitar Center.

Mike

wiley

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:41 am

willem

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:47 am

mark wrote:
String Squeak is caused by the sliding of the fingers on the strings and is worse on the wound bass strings.

To eliminate the squeak you need to lift your fingers off the strings vertically before replacing them on the strings.
So its like a helicopter lift. If you lift off at an angle you will still get some squeak.
I use this technique sometimes if the squeak is noticable, maybe when doing a descending bass run which has a slide in it.
This technique has its problems as well as it makes your playing a little more stracatto and so you have to be a bit quicker at replacing your fingers.

The other possibility is to play a little louder. The volume of the squeak is constant because it is caused by the fingers on the string. If you play louder, the squeak will be quieter relative to your playing.

Mark,thats the way to do it,,,and smooth strings,,elixer!!!

wiley

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:18 am

BigBear

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:39 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Jason and BigBear

Do you know how D'Addario EJ16's compare with EXP17's ?

Just curious as I've been using EJ16's Phosphor Bronze.... non coated strings and they sound good.

That said, I am currently trying Martin 80/20 Bronze light's, although different I like them too.

I suppose it all sends on the guitarist and guitar they are fitted too also

Dermot
Dermot- I think it all depends on the guitar. To my ear the non-coated strings always sound brighter. The EJ16's are D'Addarios most popular string set. I use the EJ16's and 17's.

They sound wonderful for the first few days but if I play a lot (I wish) they seem to get dirty pretty quickly. And their brightness drops off. I think the sharpness of the windings collects dirt and oils much more quickly than coated strings.

As far as a comparison I have not tried the EXP17's because I've been really happy with the Elixir Nanowebs. Jason may have tried both and probably has an opinion. I may try a set just to see how they sound.

Cheers!! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:12 pm

wiley wrote:
MJ -

Using 'heavier' strings doesn't really change the 'action' - as long as the string themselves fit properly in the nut slots. A straight line is a straight line and even with fatter strings, that bottom (string to fret) clearance stays the same.

What does change is the tension - as such it can cause the 'relief' on your neck to change due to more tension (so it can change the action in this way). It also 'feels' different ( perceived playability as it is referred to in many circles) because they will be a bit harder to land.

Of course, changing to 'lighter' strings can change the neck relief also, by decreasing the tension.

One thing to be wary of in increasing the string size and ergo the tension is the bracing of the guitar top (soundboard - specifically things like the bridge area and plate). The engineering behind a lot of today's acoustics is geared towards specifics and as such, the bracing may be a bit light. Check with the manufacturer as some may not honor a warranty if heavier stings have been used.
Wiley:

As always, you explain things much better, and in much more detail than I do... :) Action was the wrong term, you are correct. Playability is really more what I was talking about. I noticed a difference right away. The heavier strings took a bit more pressure to fret correctly. On strumming songs, it was not really an issue. On fingerpicking songs, it was a bit more difficult for a lazy player such as myself... ;)

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic