Sheet music / chord charts on the IPad or other tablets - Questions

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Hey everyone:

I have been gathering up a rather huge collection of music via TG and my own transcriptions. I have several binders, and it is becoming a bit cumbersome.... :(

I have been toying with going digital with this mess. I found a few apps that will allow the use of PDF files, which would be easy to convert my hard copies to. I can scan, or convert my transcriptions (which are made in Word), and the TG files are in PDF format already. Guitar Pro also allows for the export of files in PDF format. One of the apps that gets great reviews is "forScore". There are a few others that get very good reviews as well. The concern I have is having to swipe to turn pages as I play along. Currently, I have my music laid out in the binders in a way that makes them fairly easy to follow. I have been able to get 90% of them down to two pages and, with the binder open, I can see everything without turning pages. I found a few page turners for the IPad..... AirTurn, PageFlip and Bili's all offer units that will either plug in or sync up to allow for page turning with the use of pedals you can use with your feet. I like that idea, but was wondering if anyone has gone down that road yet, and if they had any feedback. Someone mentioned something at camp, but I cannot remember who it was, or what the app was.. :huh:

If I can get my collection of binders into my IPad, that would sure be a lot easier than lugging those darn things around.

So, any feedback or information on other apps/hardware would be appreciated. :)

Jason

thereshopeyet

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Hey Willem

It's sure safer than having Déborah François as your Page Turner !!

Dermot

:woohoo: :woohoo:

willem

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:49 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hey Willem

It's sure safer than having Déborah François as your Page Turner !!

Dermot

:woohoo: :woohoo:
She could cary all the binders,, :laugh: B)

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Willem:

That is one of the units I was looking at. :) I was hoping someone else might have checked it out and had some feedback, either positive or negative. Having one IPad versus several binders would sure a be a space saver.... ;)

willem wrote:

willem

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Willem:

That is one of the units I was looking at. :) I was hoping someone else might have checked it out and had some feedback, either positive or negative. Having one IPad versus several binders would sure a be a space saver.... ;)

willem wrote:

I saw a band using it and i ask them and they showed me,,,this is a must if you use an iPAD for your sheets...

W.

thereshopeyet

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Willem Wrote:
She could cary all the binders,,
She wouldn't manage my binders....

I'd need Arnie !!!

:laugh: :laugh:

willem

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:05 pm

willem wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Willem:

willem wrote:

I saw a band using it and i ask them and they showed me,,,this is a must if you use an iPAD for your sheets...

W.
Edit,,I think also that you must know a bit of what is coming on the next page..

TGNesh

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I use the PageFlip from Cicada, it works great. I use it along with forScore, I like the layout of that one. However it doesn't work with pdf's, but you can open any pdf with forScore though.

So yeah i use it with the videolessons all the time. The only thing that bugs me is when you zoom in, to read more clearly, it doesnt work. Also when I'm playing, sometimes it's not so easy to actually play ánd lift your foot to use the pedal, especially when the piece requires good posture. Like when I recorded Rosa May, it was actually a pain and you could hear my chair squeek every time I tried to lift my foot, which interferes in my playing as well, it throws you off a bit...

Still, I do like it very much, but like with many things, you gotta develop a relationship with it! :laugh:

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:42 pm

tgvanessa wrote:
I use the PageFlip from Cicada, it works great. I use it along with forScore, I like the layout of that one. However it doesn't work with pdf's, but you can open any pdf with forScore though.

So yeah i use it with the videolessons all the time. The only thing that bugs me is when you zoom in, to read more clearly, it doesnt work. Also when I'm playing, sometimes it's not so easy to actually play ánd lift your foot to use the pedal, especially when the piece requires good posture. Like when I recorded Rosa May, it was actually a pain and you could hear my chair squeek every time I tried to lift my foot, which interferes in my playing as well, it throws you off a bit...

Still, I do like it very much, but like with many things, you gotta develop a relationship with it! :laugh:
Ness:

Thank you very much. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. In the reviews of "forScore", it says it is compatible with PDF's, co I will have to look at that a bit more. Not really sure what you meant in your response there. Are you saying that "forScore" will open the PDF's, but the page turner does not change the page on a PDF? If so, that would certainly be less appealing.... :unsure:

I can also see how tapping the pedal could throw you off a bit on a more complicate piece. I am still mostly a strummer, so that would not be too bad. Willem makes a good point, that it would still be helpful to know a little of what is coming on the next page. On simpler songs, that would not be as big a deal.

Thanks again, Vanessa. I appreciate it very much.

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic