Sheet music / chord charts on the IPad or other tablets - Questions

Hydroman52

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Jason,

Like Vanessa, I also use the PageFlip from Cicada. But I'm using it with an Acer A500 tablet (Android) with the program GuitarTapp Pro. I much prefer the scrolling teleprompter format that GuitarTapp Pro provides than the page turning format that the .pdf format gives. As with any software, there is a learning curve. It does include the use of ChordPro coding to write and customize my own music. GuitarTapp also has an Autoscroll function that allows a person to set the music to scroll automatically at a designated “speed”. Actually, you define the amount of time it takes to scroll the entire score and it will determine the actual speed.

I thought that this would be all that I needed. Just set the time length of the song, tap Autoscroll, and go. But, after using it for a while, there were too many variables (playing a song faster or slower than normal, extending an instrumental, a band member skips or adds song parts, etc.) and I soon realized that a foot pedal would be very handy. I bought the PageFlip and have been very happy with it so far.

There are a lot of programs now out there that allow you to reduce your sheet music to electronic format. Back when I was originally looking, there was only a handful. GuitarTapp does what I need and I haven't looked any further. Also, haven't had any problems with the Cicada. That being said, I haven’t used it, yet, for a live gig. Still relying on my sheet music notes for that. I may ease into it, but so far, only used it for rehearsal and practice. You can bet that the first times that I try it out, I’ll also have the sheet music book set up along side so I’m not taking any chances.

I did come across a WEB site that has some interesting articles that address the software and foot pedal issues. You may find some more information here to help you decide what tools you need.

http://performingarts.uncg.edu/patech/?p=199

http://performingarts.uncg.edu/patech/

Hope this helps,

Hydroman52

Music Junkie

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 am

Hydro:

That is great feedback, thank you very much. Although I won't be performing anytime soon, I like the idea of something that could be used for that someday. Those article look very interesting. I will read them tomorrow morning. I think the main thing is going to be the page turning/flipping with the use of PDF files. PDF seems to be so common, that I am surprised at issues some of these apps have. They can open them and read them, but they just don't "handle" them well...

Thanks again!

Jasonb

michelew

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:05 am

Hey Jason,

Like Ness, I use ForScore to store and sort my music, which is mostly PDFs. You can make playlists and study lists too and a bunch of key words. The search function's usefulness depends on the metadata you include for each song.

The cicada PageFlip works really well with ForScore. It doesn't work with the standard PDF readers apps I have. PageFlip is also really light (sometimes too light as it can travel on a hard floor) and it's small and would be easy to transport. One thing you need to be aware of is when the page turner is active, it overrides the keybaord on the iPad, so if you want to search you library or indeed start writing an email you need to turn the page turner off. I drove me crazy one night before I worked out what was happening.

To get around the issues Ness has with the font size, I often use ForScore in landscape. I have a stand that allows me to flip the orientation of the iPad. You can also crop the white off of a PDF using the edit function. (Ness let me know if you'd like more info on how to do that).

ForScore also allows you to set a tempo and the number of beats on a page and to have the program flip the page according to the tempo you set! you can set a visual metronome too. It's tricky to set up. The pageflip is much better.

The flip doesn't work with some other music library apps I have, like The musicnotes app, which SUCKS. Well it didn't last time I tried.

If you're learning a complex piece adding in the pageflip foot pedal can be another thing to distract your brain. I found that with some piano stuff I was trying to learn, where my brain was already overloaded trying to coordinate some many new things. But, it's far superior to having to do it manually. :)

My vote, iPad, ForScore, pageflip - works great - but I haven't really tried other combos.

BTW - a big thanks to whoever it was on in the community who recommended the pageflip (perhap Dean - sorry I've forgotten - they also suggested Songsterr too which has also been great).

Have fun.

Shel

Music Junkie

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Shel:

Thank you for the detailed response. After a bit more reading last night, I am coming to the same conclusion you have put forward..... forScore and the PageFlip....... :) For the price and convenience, PageFlip seems to be a nice unit. The AirTurn is nice, but you have to buy separate pedals.... :( You can buy their all in one unit, but the price goes up drastically.... :( The next step will be getting all my Word docs converted to PDF's.... Not too bad a deal though, as free software called Primo PDF works really well. You just set it up as the printer, and point it to the directory you want to save it to. It will output pretty much anything in PDF format. It has come in handy for a lot of things the last few years.

Thanks again!

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic