Practicing songs with complex structures - how do YOU do it?

michelew

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:53 am

Hi y'all,

I'm learning Nick Drake's - Things behind the Sun, which I'm really enjoying; great lesson Neil.

I've gotten to the point where I can play each of the parts. I've played it all the way through at about 60% of speed quite a few times. All of the parts, including each time you play the verses are different enough that I still need to look at the music to remember what I'm playing. I haven't memorised it yet. GPro has been great for doing this. BTW - I'm not playing exactly what's written but I still need to know basically what I'm suppose to be playing.

I'm now at the point where I'd like to play against the original so I can get the words into my head (even if I don't sing them yet) and sync the playing with them, before I start to speed it up more. With most songs I can just flip through the music using ForScore on my iPad and my Cicada PlagFlip. But, the structure of this song is complex enough that that's not really working for me because you need to go back and forth between pages, it's not just in one direction. It's possible I need to try harder. Yep I realise that.

Using a program that slows down the original (the Amazing Slow downer in my case) and GPro at the same time is mostly working. However, the speeds are slightly mismatched even though I'm setting them to the same %. I suspect that the speed slide in GPro is more sensitive than it shows; e.g. It's actually set to 65% rather than 60% as indicated.

I have memorised lots of it, but there are about three or so...sections where I need to look at the music in particular; e.g. the solo, end of the 3rd and 4th verses and the end...and...something else.

Another approach I use is to have all of the pages up on my mac at the same time. There's four pages here so ... My eyes are too old to see music that small. :)

Blah, blah, blah ...

So I'm wonder whether there's an easier and more practical way to do this that I'm just missing.

How do you approach practicing a song with a complex structure against the original when you haven't memorised the music yet?

Thanks

Shel

willem

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:55 am

I think you should memorise it and then play along,,?? maybe your eyes are to old but your brain is not!!! try to hum it to whole day...?? or think a bout it the all day,,or practice it late in the evening and go to sleep and then early in the morning again,,,

Willem

michelew

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 am

Hey Willem,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've actually been listening to this song on repeat; while walking to work, in the shower, on the bus home, etc. i've been singing it too. I've got most of the words and phrasing in my head and I'm hearing the music too, at least fragments.

I guess my question is more about how do you organise yourself to have the music available and readable while you're still memorising it. Perhaps memorising each bit first, before putting it together, which I think you're saying. Yes I think I Should do that for sure.

There comes a point where you want to play against the original to check that you've got the playing down, or you're getting it. I guess your approach still works there to some extent.

Thanks mate.

Shel

willem

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:11 am

michelew wrote:
Hey Willem,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've actually been listening to this song on repeat; while walking to work, in the shower, on the bus home, etc. i've been singing it too. I've got most of the words and phrasing in my head and I'm hearing the music too, at least fragments.

I guess my question is more about how do you organise yourself to have the music available and readable while you're still memorising it. Perhaps memorising each bit first, before putting it together, which I think you're saying. Yes I think I Should do that for sure.

There comes a point where you want to play against the original to check that you've got the playing down, or you're getting it. I guess your approach still works there to some extent.

Thanks mate.

Shel
I think I understand,,you play along but have the sheet also infront of you,,maybe do it with real paper (not the Ipad),,sometimes its written just on 2 pages but you go back and fort on some moments and a A4 should look big enough for your eyes..

Willem

michelew

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:33 am

Paper, a big ass table and pray for no wind, or close the window. I hear you Willem. :)

Thanks mate.

I've actually stopped printing the music out. I have many folders. But now I do it mostly on my iPad, it's true. It's much easier to transport, even to the lounge room. :)

Have fun playing Mother.

Shel

TGNesh

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:50 am

Well, if I want to play a song from beginning to end, I indeed print it on real paper.....works best! ;)

michelew

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks Nessa!

I guess electronic files can just get a bit too fancy sometimes and it's best to go back to reliable old paper...and sticky tape. :P

And just when the trees were starting to breathe a sigh of relief....

jayswett

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:43 am

It sounds like a couple of old fashioned music stands and paper will do the trick for you. As a late adopter to technology, i till have a three ring binder full of songs that I try to keep organised. I am glad to hear that you are learning a nic drake song. Motivated by dtaylor, I managed to learn road, which I would like to play at an open mic at some point soon. It works well as a short solo instrumental. Northern sky is another great song. At least I think that's what it's called. Good luck with your current project. I have no doubt you will find a way to master it.

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:07 am

Michelle Wrote:
Paper, a big ass table and pray for no wind, or close the window.
For The Wind
Open the widow
Free the smell
Michelle !!

:laugh: :laugh:

dtaylor

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:51 pm

michelew wrote:

How do you approach practicing a song with a complex structure against the original when you haven't memorised the music yet?

Thanks

Shel
Hi Shel, to answer your question, I'll practice against the original to work on timing, especially the singing. I tend to use slowed down versions only to try to understand difficult timing elements like fast synchopated picking. I've done this recently working on From The Morning which seems like Things Behind the Sun in that the right hand is the driver and the timing is tricky.

I never play full slow versions of songs I'm working on. I'll practice at full speed as soon as I know the notes. It would be awful for someone to have to suffer watching me learn a song!

BTW I will practice discete elements of a song along with the original once I've memorised them even if I've not learned the whole thing.

I don't know if these habits would be anathema to a teacher but it works for me.

Dean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic