Practicing songs with complex structures - how do YOU do it?

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Michelle,

Good question, now whilst I've slacked off playing this last 18mths I used to just use the natural breakdown of the song, or however Neil has split it on the site. Then its either paper or PDF on screen and use the timed scroll function on adobe. Then ... boring bit repeat , repeat , repeat each bit till I have some semblance of the song. I do that for each part then add a couple of parts together and repeat, repeat etc... Now this works well until Neil stuffs it up by posting a new lesson and then distraction kicks in. I try not to print these days, saving paper and being a good Scot keep cost down lol.

I have just started a new job and have moved from Auckland to a place called Masterton and all going well being a bit slower paced and hopefully more social hours the guitar will once again feature!

sandysue

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi Michelle

I use a music stand and spread the printed music out so that I can see all of the pages. First I just slowly sight read the music along with the tablature over and over until I can sort of play the song. Then i start memorizing the music, about 4 measures at a time. When I finally get the whole thing memorized, which usually takes a long time for me, depending on the complexity of the music, then I start playing it slowly along with guitar pro on my Ipad. On really easy songs, I don't memorize the music, I try to just sight read if I can. I love it when the music and the tabs are both on the same sheet. I love electronics, but some times it's easier to just do it the old fashion way, (sorry tree's).

Sandy

michelew

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:32 am

It looks like the consensus is don't spare the trees. Good old paper eh!?! ;)

I hear you. Good to know.

Dean - I often need to play it slower for a while to ensure my changes are smooth and clean and it's all flowing properly before I stress my brain too much by playing at speed. With some songs like Run Away and More Than Words it is taking me, or took me, ages to get it up to speed. You must have mad skills.

I've got most of it working now, except the transition into the coda section. Then I need to play, play, play and increase the speed as I do. That's my way. There's still a couple of sections that I need to work on.

Thanks everyone.

Shel

thereshopeyet

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:25 am

It looks like the consensus is don't spare the trees. Good old paper eh!?!
Michelle, the choices aren't great.

More WiFi technology means more power, means of power generation ain't that clever for the environment either eh?

More EMF in the air, more fired brain.

The animal kingdom and the human kingdom ain't meant to live together, I do wish they'd just eat us and get it over.

As for the trees, we waste them all the time, what did they do eh?

The trees look sad at this time of the year, weeping there leaves.

Everytime we go to the toilet, we waste paper!

I can fold an origami tree.... sad eh!

I'll never fold, print, draw, crumple, wrap, or hang a piece of paper again.

Till the next time !

:ohmy: :ohmy:

Edit
I'm keeping clear of the animals too, Bob Dylan said God made them, probably got that right.
The devil made man

:woohoo: :woohoo:

dekotaj

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:28 am

michelew wrote:
Hi y'all,How do you approach practicing a song with a complex structure against the original when you haven't memorised the music yet?

Thanks

Shel
Hey Sis,you get that one figured out let me no!! I dont even try to play alone with the record till I have it completely down. Then like Dean,just for timing more than anything. Have not looked at this song.Most song writers keep all the verse and the chorus close to the same. Learn this till you don't need the paper or tablet any more.Then I work on the other little parts( intros & outro) and what ever the song needs.Just find what works for you and get it done. Measure by measure for me.

Give them hell Sis
Kev

TGNeil

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey Gang,

I like the paper idea, it is essential to every lesson I do. A few things that could help-

Write out your own chart of the song, separated by parts, then order them. Basically make a flow chart of the arrangement of the song.

Do not worry about the specific details of how every measure goes, know the chord progression!

Follow your chart while listening a few times to make sure it is correct and you understand it before you try playing along.

Then, play along.

I will try to follow up here as well soon,

Neil

dtaylor

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:36 pm

I haven't started on Things Behind The Sun yet but I have watched every part and I can tell that the arrangement is a memory challenge in itself now. I'll take the advice given here and hopefully let you know how I get on.

michelew

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Neil,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to this question directly. Yes, the paper approach is definitely worth doing. But, I like your chart idea and I think I'll give that a go, perhaps tonight. I'll post it for people if I do.

I'm not worried about playing it exactly, just the progression as you say and the places where I need to place emphasize . I generally end up playing to a chart once I've got a song into reasonable shape so the chart should work well for me and just help to get it into my brain better.

Dean - you'll LOVE this song. I'm really enjoying playing it and the freedom to play what you like and the syncopation is GREAT. Once I finish some of the lessons I'm working on, including a heap of TGNessa's :) I'll probably learn some of Nick's other stuff here too. In addition to Riverman, which I've also LOVED learning.

Kev - thanks my friend. I'll give it hell indeed. :)

Dermot - it was a little joke buddy, like "don't spare the horse". Perhaps the forests would be better off if we all adopted the bidet approach ;) , I really can't see myself converting to leaves. :). I think we can save paper in a lot more ways before we need to worry about sheet music. You may be happy to know that I've been repurposing empty toilet rolls by folding them up with doggie treats inside so they become little puppy treat puzzles. Kaylee loves them. ;)

Neil thanks again.

Michele

thereshopeyet

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Michelle, I know it was a joke...... :ohmy:

I was joking too..... but it was a sheet :dry: joke !

I need to get out more... out of the toilet that is !!!

:laugh: :laugh:

michelew

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 pm

"Sheet joke" haha! :) funny man.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic