Practicing songs with complex structures - how do YOU do it?

michelew

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 am

TGNeil wrote:
Hey Gang,

I like the paper idea, it is essential to every lesson I do. A few things that could help-

Write out your own chart of the song, separated by parts, then order them. Basically make a flow chart of the arrangement of the song.

Do not worry about the specific details of how every measure goes, know the chord progression!

Follow your chart while listening a few times to make sure it is correct and you understand it before you try playing along.

Then, play along.

I will try to follow up here as well soon,

Neil

So following Neil's suggestion I've come up with the following, which is all info included in the tab. Preparing the chart didn't take too long and has made me notice a few things that hadn't been obvious to me, which should help me remember it. I already feel like I understand the structure better.

Thanks Neil!

So for anyone working on Things behinds the Sun you may find this useful. I've checked it against the GPro file. I need to check it against the original too just in case I've missed something.

Things Behind the Sun

All information taken from Neil's tab. All mistakes are mine. :) Play each chord for one bar, unless they are inside square brackets which shows a bar in total. I had spaced it more, but the upload program takes them out it seems.

Intro
Asus2 Asus2 Am E
F E7sus4 E7

Verse 1 - start 0:16 min
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
F [E7sus4 E7]

Verse 2 - start 0:39 min
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
F E7sus4 E7

Chorus 1 - start 1:05
[A E7sus4/A] [A D/A] C/G D7/F#
F E7sus4 E7

Verse 3 - start 1:31
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
F E7sus4 E7

Solo - start 1:57
F E7sus4 E7 E7sus4 E7

Verse 4 - start 2:27
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
Am E F [E7sus4 E7]
F E7sus4 E7

Chorus 2 - start 2:53

Coda - start 3:11
C/G D7/F#
F [E7sus4 E7] X5
F E7sus4 E7
[A E7sus4/A] [D/A A]

Sorry I made a few errors when I posted this (e.g. Esus4 instead of E7sus4) hopefully I've picked them up now. Let me know if I haven't.

thereshopeyet

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 am

Michelle

That's a neat chart.

I'm always writing stuff down when learning it.
It not only helps me remember the little I remember but comes
in very useful at a later date when returning to songs I've looked a before and forgotten.

Dermot

:)

michelew

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks Dermot. Actually I made a few mistakes, which got repeated when I copied versus etc. but I think it's right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic