Hybrid/crossover nylon string guitars - any you'd like to rave about?

TGNesh

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:39 am

Well I was obviously lucky with my Taylor by buying it from Rob Mazzoli at IGC. I think it sounds great (I wouldn't even know plugged in), unplugged and it plays really really nice. I love the sound of nylon as well, 'soft, smooth, buttery' as Jason Mraz puts it. (see below)

But before that I was indeed fancying the Alhambra, but wasn't ready to spend that kind of money yet, so yeah, very lucky with the Taylor instead! :cheer:

Interview with Jason Mraz:

How do you view the roles of steel-string and nylon-string guitars in your music?

On steel-string I’ll play differently, I’ll feel differently, and ultimately I’ll emote differently. And it’s through emoting and improvising over the guitar that songs are born. I’ve fallen in love with vintage steels lately, but my go-to is always the nylonstring. There’s something soft and smooth and buttery about it that really sits with me in a beautiful way. Certain songs on my latest album, like “93 Million Miles” or “Who’s Thinking About You Now,” are all about the nylon. My last album, We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things, was all nylon-string. We may have had overdubs with steel-strings, but every guitar I played was nylon-string. For this album I really wanted to get away from that and let the different textures help tell a more diverse story.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneo ... wess/23205

michelew

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:20 am

Hey Nessa!

Great interview!! I really enjoyed reading it. I also read somewhere that JM got into nylon when he started exploring Latin beats.

It was good to read that Jason finds it can be tricky to play and sing his songs at the same time. I can't say I've noticed that in the solo and duo videos I've seen of his. But...it does make me feel a little better. ;) more kudos to you though Ness. You don't seem to have any problem with doing both simultaneously.

(Oops I got the model he plays wrong :) )

I have to say, I always love hearing you play on nylon strings, it seems to enhance the emotion that you're pouring in. Well...I'm sure you'd play the same thing beautifully on steel too. And you sound great on the Taylor, absolutely. I haven't noticed it sounding softer, but of course I'm not in your music room to compare. :)

I'm not ready to spend big money either (or any at this point really). But I do tease myself by looking at EBay just in case there's a nice Taylor (the only hybrid I really know that much about before now) being offered for a ridiculous price. There is an interesting Breedlove Bossa Nova model on at the moment. But...just looking and there's NO chance of testing it.

Thanks for chiming in. :kiss:

Shel - firmly in the nylon sounds great camp

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:44 am

Michelle

That's a good point.
I have asked and they make it look easy.
Then my over active thing takes over..... :blush: :blush: :blush:
What if I'm not happy with it ...... and it get's louder and louder :dry: :woohoo:

:ohmy:

:laugh: :laugh:

michelew

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:54 am

Dermot,

Ask the store if they have a refund policy if you return it unscathed, or a trade-in/buy back policy.

It's normal to have some buyer's remorse when you buy a new instrument. What if there's another instrument out there that's perfect for ME? Well there may be. But... How exactly do you plan to find it? ;) Just give yourself a chance to really get to know it first before returning it if you do buy something. I suspect it's a bit like buying a house. At first you think this is great and huge then the next time it's shrunk, the time after that.... You know how it goes.

If you decide to go shopping don't second guess yourself once you've done your best to find something that you think will suit you.

Shel

sbutler

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Well I was obviously lucky with my Taylor by buying it from Rob Mazzoli at IGC. I think it sounds great (I wouldn't even know plugged in), unplugged and it plays really really nice. I love the sound of nylon as well, 'soft, smooth, buttery' as Jason Mraz puts it. (see below)

But before that I was indeed fancying the Alhambra, but wasn't ready to spend that kind of money yet, so yeah, very lucky with the Taylor instead! :cheer:

How do you view the roles of steel-string and nylon-string guitars in your music?

On steel-string I’ll play differently, I’ll feel differently, and ultimately I’ll emote differently. And it’s through emoting and improvising over the guitar that songs are born. I’ve fallen in love with vintage steels lately, but my go-to is always the nylonstring. There’s something soft and smooth and buttery about it that really sits with me in a beautiful way. Certain songs on my latest album, like “93 Million Miles” or “Who’s Thinking About You Now,” are all about the nylon. My last album, We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things, was all nylon-string. We may have had overdubs with steel-strings, but every guitar I played was nylon-string. For this album I really wanted to get away from that and let the different textures help tell a more diverse story.

Excuss me Vanessa, I thought you bought it from Me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TGNesh

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:02 am

Whahahaha!!! :laugh: :laugh: Indeed!!

Well, eventually I actually bought it from TGMatt! :S .......gosh he had fun teasing me with that! :laugh: And yóu had a whóle bunch of money in your pocket!!! I remember your wife's comment to that fact, 'don't you dare......'!! :laugh: :laugh:

sbutler wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

Excuss me Vanessa, I thought you bought it from Me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Vanessa Wrote Scott:
'don't you dare......'!!
I know someone like that sitting not too far away.

Now that is just BAD news Scott

LOTS of money and not allowed to spend it !

Life sucks if you do or if you Don't , eh !

Maybe need to convince her she really needs a couple of guitars !

Next time she's looking in the mirror......

" You look lovely , but would look even more stunning with a guitar sitting at each side of you,
maybe a steel string on the left and a nylon string on the right would just set you off " yep :ohmy:

Mmmmmmm

Chance would be a fine thing !

:)

willem

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm

This is an hybrid,hybrid hybrid,,the synthesizer is echoing,,hybrid..

dougyoung

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm certainly just more tuned into the sound of steel, I like sustain, which is the part that always bothers me with most nylons. But it's all about your desired sound, and some things sound best on nylon. And some of the higher end classical guitars sustain nearly as much as a steel string, and are louder. I do like the rounder tone. The nice thing about a crossover/hybrid is that there's less adjustment if you're used to a steel string. As far as tunings, I've even tried nylon in DADGAD! These days, classical players are pretty experimental, and many of them use alternate tunings. It's a little harder to quickly change between tunings, but otherwise it can work fine.

I had one of those multiac's for a while, too. I got it mostly for the synth access, which is a whole other challenge! Another whole area I just never had time to fully explore, so I gave up.

willem

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 pm

dougyoung wrote:
I'm certainly just more tuned into the sound of steel, I like sustain, which is the part that always bothers me with most nylons. But it's all about your desired sound, and some things sound best on nylon. And some of the higher end classical guitars sustain nearly as much as a steel string, and are louder. I do like the rounder tone. The nice thing about a crossover/hybrid is that there's less adjustment if you're used to a steel string. As far as tunings, I've even tried nylon in DADGAD! These days, classical players are pretty experimental, and many of them use alternate tunings. It's a little harder to quickly change between tunings, but otherwise it can work fine.

I had one of those multiac's for a while, too. I got it mostly for the synth access, which is a whole other challenge! Another whole area I just never had time to fully explore, so I gave up.

I agree that it is a whole other challenge,,are there examples on YT or the net were they explore all the possibilitys with this guitar(a piece or something like that)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic