I Will Never Change The Channel For...

TGNeil

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 am

Hi Gang,

As the music was shuffling in the house this morning a song came on that made me stop in my tracks, like it always does, and just listen and marvel at every aspect of it- the opening chords and the entire progression, dynamic vocals belting out a brilliant melody, great variety in parts with almost virtuoso accompaniments, some jazzy chords behind the singing, one of the coolest non-guitar solos every in a huge hit, a killer vocal cadenza just before a tight, crashing ending that leaves me in awe every time I hear it. I'll let you in on what is is soon but in the meantime I'd like to hear some of the songs that might grab any of you the same way.

As an aside, for at least 20 years I have had what I might consider my top 5 songs of all time, with no specific criteria other than I wish I had written all of them. Most are in the Target Program, as is the song I referred to above, but I will skip these now occasionally. I will drop hints about these in the near future soon as well.

What I am really after here is other people's lists like this, a top 5 and maybe a different killer song for other reasons.

Oh yeah, another aside- no Beatles songs are involved in my choices in the interest of keeping the playing field level.

Let's see what folks have to say!

Neil

jimcjimc

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 am

From your description, that can only be one song: Moondance by Van Morrison

TGNeil

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 am

jimcjimc wrote:
From your description, that can only be one song: Moondance by Van Morrison
Good guess, not what I had in mind but it does fit much of the criteria.

If we are really going to go here we might have to consider other things, maybe decade, has to be popular enough to have charted sometime, etc. Mine are all from the 70s of course, and there are other artists I might never skip but they would not be generally known enough, Nick Drake for example.

Neil

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Neil:

With your record collection, I am certain you would have a hard time narrowing your choices down to only five. ;)

I'll have to think about a list of five for a bit, but the first song that pops into my mind and one that I ALWAYS listen too, or turn up would be "More Than a Feeling" by Boston (already in the TARGET list). The little acoustic intro and basic backbone of the song is so simple, but it just really catches me. The leads are so powerful and, IMO, not overdone. Then you add in the vocals and harmonies that Boston was able to pull off, and I am always smiling when I hear it.

Now off to think of four more.... B)

Jason

daryl

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm

One song that ALWAYS makes me bounce all over the place is Steely Dan's "My Old School"

tombo1230

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:16 pm

This one springs to mind as special. Acapella group 'The Flying Pickets'.

jayswett

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Here's one that I enjoy.

haoli25

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:23 am

Almost too many to list, but my most recent show-stopper is "Little Martha". I just don't hear it very often. Doug Young likes alternate tunings so he may take a chance on putting together a lesson on this one.

Bill

daryl

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 am

Another one that makes me bounce all over:

TGNeil

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:26 am

Hey Daryl,

Great choice from a great album. As a matter of fact, one of my top historically has been Jessica, although it has usually been neck and neck with an earlier one of theirs that I really think has overtaken it in the last few years.

Hey Bill,

I think I did a lesson on Little Martha in Open D many years ago... yep, it's still here.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic