Arranging Practice Time

TGNeil

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Gang,

A question came up the other day that I thought would be a good one to open up to general discussion. Like some other musical queries, there are many answers that could be helpful depending on multiple factors such as goals, available time, playing level, experience, etc. So rather than just lump into it with my opinion, I think everybody could benefit from a little information exchange here. This is something we have touched on in the past but updating and revisiting thoughts and tips can't be a bad thing.

Any suggestions on how to arrange practice time?

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 am

I could give a string of advice on this paralleling what I suggest for tennis & squash players on how to practice technique but seeing as I don't even follow that advice myself, when it comes to guitar practice, I'll not mention setting aside regular, pre-planned time-slots and mapping the bits to work on and following the plan religiously. Oops, just did! What I actually do is have 3 guitars parked in various rooms on their stands so that I can pick one up at any time when I have 15 mins or so and the inclination to play. This way, I do get a lot of practice time in although I will just work on something I've been focussing on or just play songs to keep them from rusting on the strings and not necessarily work systematically on something. I do also work on things systematically from time to time but that is not on a regular basis. I know Tony was getting up at 5 AM to practice regularly in Australia but I could never do that, being a night owl and not as disciplined. So I muddle through in my free-form way of practising and I do find myself spending a lot of time watching the lesson videos these days.

unclewalt

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 am

auntlynnie

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48 pm

I wish I could say that I have a regular practice routine, but... Well that's just not me.
What I did do that has been helpful for building and maintaining my repitoire was this - I use a database app that has a list of all the fingerpicking songs that I know, sorted by that most recent date I practiced each song. By looking at the list I know which songs have not had a recent play-through. This helps me remember all the songs and not let any fall off the list just because I forgot about them.
Looking over the list just now, I see that I need to get to work!
Lynn

willem

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:40 pm

I need to practice with no one around me and go for it,, the most I like are fingerpicked songs and lately i concentrade for tone and clean bass notes.
When the apitite is there and no one is around i put it on my lap and go for it.record it and listen to myself,, then i push the delete button.
B) :laugh:

Willem

unclewalt

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:57 pm

dtaylor

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:48 pm

I don't have a system, my practice is very erratic. I'll not play for a day or two then when the mood takes me I'll go nuclear on something that has piqued my interest till my fingers bleed. I have to be motivated to learn something new or re-learn a forgotten tune, I don't like the idea of keeping things on rotation, seems a bit like work to me.

fjeanmur

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:47 am

Hi Neil and everyone!

My practice arrangement seems to be a bit more regular. My work day begins very early, so I am home by late afternoon. So on most days, I am able to get a hour in before I have to get dinner on the table. On a good day, it might be an hour and fifteen or so, on a bad day fifteen minutes or no time at all. On the weekends, maybe an hour and a half.

On the weekends or days off, maybe I will go back to something that has been a bit pesky because I do keep my guitar on a stand. (I was the one that started the guitar stand thread a while back and the members convinced me that it is worth having the guitar out and available.)

I use an app called Metro Timer for things that are giving me difficulty. I set the metronome for maybe three minutes so that I keep going over and over something that is giving me trouble and within a couple of days I usually see an improvement. However some of the things I have been trying can be so fatiguing that I can keep it up for only a minute or so.

We all do what suits our needs and personalities. I tend to be a creature of routine. I'd love to read more about what others do so let's keep posting!

Jean

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:42 pm

When I try to put together a practice plan, I tend to add and add to it untill it
bursts it's seams and becomes unproductive rather than productive.

I have been working on some songs and some exercises.
I do find that I progress most when practicing small sections at a time
slowly. Then after a while I feel I hit a barrier. I have tried to break that barrier by persisting
practicing the same for longer but it seems tough to break so move on to return to it later.

I'm happy with any improvement now no matter how small.

Dermot

cosmicmechanic

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:51 am

A: Practice when you are tired ... frustration !

B: Practice when you are fresh and alert ... inspiration !

I'm starting to think that the more you do "B", then eventually, even "A" does not matter as much :)

So the question for all we aspiring guitarists is: when will "B" be ?

But it's also possible to progress if you just "Let it be" ...

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic