Arranging Practice Time

fjeanmur

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi!

Well first it's good to know that you're still at it. That is a feat in itself. As far as feeling a loss of direction, I think that happens to all of us from time it time. But if you really enjoy exploring the guitar, you will keep going.

Here are some thoughts: I think you are trying very hard to keep up with your two songs a month. Depending what you are trying to work on, that could be a very tall order. If I choose something that is easier because there is a certain element that interests me, I get through it rather quickly. But if I choose something that is much more challenging, I can work on it for a couple to several months. Generally I have three things going, one piece that I'm finishing off, one I can play through, but needs work, and one new thing that I'm breaking down measure by measure. The great thing about Target (and evidently with Target Lite) is that you are offered more than you can reasonably keep up with. But by just watching lessons you pick up so much, even if you're not ready to get to them yet.

When I studied piano as a kid, my teacher insisted that I use Friday for "repertoire" playing so as to keep the old stuff fresh while still learning new pieces. I wish I still had the time to do this with regularity, but as an adult, life is as it is: sometimes that can be managed, sometimes it can't. But maybe setting one day aside just for the old stuff might make things a bit more manageable.

I would agree with the idea of focused practicing. Why keep playing over and over things you can handle when your time would be better spent on the trouble spots? Maybe you can have one play through each time you practice to have a sense of putting things all together.

Also, I keep a binder with four sections: one for things I am currently working on, one for "repertoire," one for theory and one as a wish list and I move things around quite frequently. I think that "repertoire" section is the most useful even though I don't always have the time to keep with it the way I would like to. That section is great for the times that I might ask, "Why am I doing this?" and there I have concrete evidence of how far I've come with this site when I started with only some basic open chords and a baby F not quite two years ago.

I also think having access to the Forum will help you as well. Reading what other people have to say and sometimes answering keeps you thinking about the guitar--and thinking is as important as practicing!

So keep going and have fun. If you are managing an hour plus most days, you're not doing badly at all. Remember, it's all about the journey.

Jean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic