Another technique question

willem

Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:32 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
dtaylor wrote:
Hi Jean, I found practicing with a capo on the first fret helped a lot when learning this. If your action is a bit high it can make all the difference with hammer ons and pull offs on the first fret.
It just makes the action of hammering on easier, so less wearing on your fingers, and it will be easier to sustain the note.
As Tom said, you do need to pluck the string sideways so even if the hammer on is not perfect the pull off should ring out.
Hope this helps.
Dean
OMG, Dean, you're brilliant! I just tried it with a capo at the first fret, and the problem disappeared! (And so did the few extraneous buzzes I've been trying to get rid of!). Gone!!! I never thought this guitar had a particularly high action, and really, I think it's still more me and my clumsiness. Plucking the string sideways was not the issue, nor the hammer on and pull off by itself. It was just first striking the G, striking the D, etc., etc., etc. It rings beautifully now. This must be witchcraft! :silly:

So how long do I need to practice with the capo? It sounds so high.
A quick result would be to tune down a half step but then you lose over-tones, don't know how bad that is, or bring the action down by a luthier.???

Willem

fjeanmur

Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi Willem,

Yeah, maybe I should have this looked at.

Jean

dtaylor

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:09 am

fjeanmur wrote:
dtaylor wrote:
Hi Jean, I found practicing with a capo on the first fret helped a lot when learning this. If your action is a bit high it can make all the difference with hammer ons and pull offs on the first fret.
It just makes the action of hammering on easier, so less wearing on your fingers, and it will be easier to sustain the note.
As Tom said, you do need to pluck the string sideways so even if the hammer on is not perfect the pull off should ring out.
Hope this helps.
Dean
OMG, Dean, you're brilliant! I just tried it with a capo at the first fret, and the problem disappeared! (And so did the few extraneous buzzes I've been trying to get rid of!). Gone!!! I never thought this guitar had a particularly high action, and really, I think it's still more me and my clumsiness. Plucking the string sideways was not the issue, nor the hammer on and pull off by itself. It was just first striking the G, striking the D, etc., etc., etc. It rings beautifully now. This must be witchcraft! :silly:

So how long do I need to practice with the capo? It sounds so high.
Glad to be of service Jean :) It sounds like a set up by a skilled luthier will be the answer, it made my guitar sound a lot better, never mind being a pleasure to play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic