Another technique question

fjeanmur

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 am

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone might have a tip, video suggestion or whatever about something that's been giving me a bit of trouble. A while back Dean suggested that I have a look at Neil's instrumental version of Imagine for some help with an arpeggio type of roll. (Great suggestion, Dean, because it did help.). Well I loved the instrumental so much that I had to work on it. It's doable, but the one thing that I can't seem to make much improvement on hammering on a C from the G chord in measures #17 and 21. It's not that my brain doesn't get (as Neil would say) plucking one string and then hammering on another. That's not the problem. It's just that that hammer on (followed by pulling off to a b) is just so feint, it's barely audible and unless I really concentrate, it's not getting much better.

Has anyone had any luck with making this better somehow or know of a lesson which might help me build up to this? I have a couple of days off from work this week so I thought it might be a good time to get after this problem. I have a feeling the answer is going to be practice, practice, practice, but just in case someone has a tip, I thought I'd put the question out there. Thanks everyone!

Jean

tombo1230

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:16 am

fjeanmur wrote:
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone might have a tip, video suggestion or whatever about something that's been giving me a bit of trouble. A while back Dean suggested that I have a look at Neil's instrumental version of Imagine for some help with an arpeggio type of roll. (Great suggestion, Dean, because it did help.). Well I loved the instrumental so much that I had to work on it. It's doable, but the one thing that I can't seem to make much improvement on hammering on a C from the G chord in measures #17 and 21. It's not that my brain doesn't get (as Neil would say) plucking one string and then hammering on another. That's not the problem. It's just that that hammer on (followed by pulling off to a b) is just so feint, it's barely audible and unless I really concentrate, it's not getting much better.

Has anyone had any luck with making this better somehow or know of a lesson which might help me build up to this? I have a couple of days off from work this week so I thought it might be a good time to get after this problem. I have a feeling the answer is going to be practice, practice, practice, but just in case someone has a tip, I thought I'd put the question out there. Thanks everyone!

Jean
Hey Jean,
it might help if you put a video up of you playing through that section, that way we might have an idea what isn't working in terms of your technique. I'm sure someone will then have the answer for you. :)

Tom N.

fjeanmur

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Tom,

That's a thought although I'm really quite camera shy. I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to, it looks just like what Neil is doing, but I'm losing those two notes. I'm going to see if anyone else has some suggestions before I consider posting a video. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

willem

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Maybe, maybe try it with your eyes closed or don't look to it!

Willem

tombo1230

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:56 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hi Tom,

That's a thought although I'm really quite camera shy. I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to, it looks just like what Neil is doing, but I'm losing those two notes. I'm going to see if anyone else has some suggestions before I consider posting a video. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Hi Jean,
ok I understand about the whole camera thing. :) (You could just video your hands on the guitar though).

Here's something to try...........

Try working on the hammer on and pull off with just your index finger, don't fret anything else and make sure when you do the hammer on that you are very close to the fret, otherwise it won't work as well. Then graduate to having any other fingers that are needed down at the same time. Also when you do a pull off don't just lift your finger up/off, you need to pull it to the side a little. Make sure you are not killing any strings with your hand position. In other words, get up onto your fingertips.

I hope you find this useful. :)

Tom N.

willem

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:46 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hi everyone!

Jean
Hi, I had a quick look and try out,,I did have the same problem and I know how to pulloff,but its more that I don't hear the hammering note(the C),,I do hear the pulloff note,,when I concentrade and do only the hammering after the two bass notes I can make it sound,,maybe the solution is then practicing only the hammering for a while so you can hear the note well.

Willem

fjeanmur

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi Tom and Willem,

Yes, you're both right. I should get over the camera thing, and yes, Tom, you would only want to see the fretting hand up close anyway. I did try it, but the iPhone didn't stay the way I wanted it and the light from the window was bad. But at least I tried it. :unsure:

But Tom, I think you have a good suggestion. I think I do have to focus on just the hammer on and pull off for a bit, even though that in itself is fairly easy. It's the delay that comes with first striking the open D before the hammer on and pull off which seems to be messing things up.

Thanks, Willem, for trying it out too. It's good to know that that you're seeing where it's tricky too. I know that Neil said to practice it a lot and he wasn't kidding. It's just knowing how to break it down that can make all the difference.

Thanks guys. I'll try working on it from this angle and then maybe I'll post the video showing that I got it. :)

Jean

dtaylor

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi Jean, I found practicing with a capo on the first fret helped a lot when learning this. If your action is a bit high it can make all the difference with hammer ons and pull offs on the first fret.
It just makes the action of hammering on easier, so less wearing on your fingers, and it will be easier to sustain the note.
As Tom said, you do need to pluck the string sideways so even if the hammer on is not perfect the pull off should ring out.
Hope this helps.
Dean

tombo1230

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:59 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hi Tom and Willem,

But Tom, I think you have a good suggestion. I think I do have to focus on just the hammer on and pull off for a bit, even though that in itself is fairly easy. It's the delay that comes with first striking the open D before the hammer on and pull off which seems to be messing things up.

Jean
That's it Jean. Make sure you are confident with the hammer on and pull off first. Once you have that, then add the other notes. If it then becomes a problem with the other notes added, it is either your hand position, or maybe finger placement caused by the other fingers being fretted.

Keep at it! :)

Tom N.

fjeanmur

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:01 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Hi Jean, I found practicing with a capo on the first fret helped a lot when learning this. If your action is a bit high it can make all the difference with hammer ons and pull offs on the first fret.
It just makes the action of hammering on easier, so less wearing on your fingers, and it will be easier to sustain the note.
As Tom said, you do need to pluck the string sideways so even if the hammer on is not perfect the pull off should ring out.
Hope this helps.
Dean
OMG, Dean, you're brilliant! I just tried it with a capo at the first fret, and the problem disappeared! (And so did the few extraneous buzzes I've been trying to get rid of!). Gone!!! I never thought this guitar had a particularly high action, and really, I think it's still more me and my clumsiness. Plucking the string sideways was not the issue, nor the hammer on and pull off by itself. It was just first striking the G, striking the D, etc., etc., etc. It rings beautifully now. This must be witchcraft! :silly:

So how long do I need to practice with the capo? It sounds so high.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic