Why is it....?

AndyT

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:12 am

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE Praise and Worship music. I play tons of it all the time. It's sort of part of my job description.
But... There is something either missing or added to it that leaves me feeling a bit .. dry ... afterwards. Not all of it mind you.
For example,
I can listen to Gilmour do an acoustic set and it leaves me full and inspired to go and practice some more. Not many P&W songs do that to me.
I'd be really interested in what Buddy, Bear, Chris, and anyone else has to say on this. It's a discussion in the church music circles also, so it's not like I'm breaking any taboo here.

I ask here at TG because I think for the most part, the people here have a deeper understanding of what music can and should do to you and why some may not do it.

michelew

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:58 am

I'm happy to admit that I may be on the wrong page here or a different one to you Andy. (It wouldn't be the first time right. :P ) Maybe I don't really know what constitutes Praise/Worship music. But I think good music is something that moves you whether it gets you dancing, is something that just talks to a part of you or breaks your heart.

Good music is generally about passion and of course at least a certain degree of skill in the writing and performing.

I'm a fan of R&B which has a strong grounding/foundation/connection with American Gospel music. Some of my favourite artist started singing in church; Aretha Framklin, (well that whole musical family), Lizz Wright, India Arie, Vika and Linda. Whether they're singing about Jesus, or God or love and compassion and forgiveness or whatever, they generally move me. Maybe it's the sentiment, maybe it's the passion, maybe it's something I can relate to, maybe it's just good music.

Everyone has their own taste. Maybe you just need to find some new artists in the genre who move you.

AndyT

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:06 am

Michelle,
Yep.... Many times you and I are on opposite sides of the page, but that's a big part of what makes TG tick along. And I DO value that even those some might think otherwise...

I think what I'm looking for is a passionate quality in the music. I can play a "Christian" song and it moves me because I can easily feel my own passion in the music. but when I hear most other Christian musicians play, they seem to be missing that. I just don't FEEL the music if you know what I mean. I listened to David Gilmour play Shine On acoustically today and I could FEEL the emotion racing thru the notes. Make sense?

tombo1230

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:00 am

AndyT wrote:

I think what I'm looking for is a passionate quality in the music. I can play a "Christian" song and it moves me because I can easily feel my own passion in the music. but when I hear most other Christian musicians play, they seem to be missing that. I just don't FEEL the music if you know what I mean. I listened to David Gilmour play Shine On acoustically today and I could FEEL the emotion racing thru the notes. Make sense?
Hi Andy,
maybe you've just answered this yourself. It's in the performance. If the performer isn't feeling the song because they aren't into it, don't like it or maybe it's just not a great song, then you the listener won't feel anything either, I think it's that simple. You say you play some of these tunes and you feel them, then that's going to be felt by your audience.

We all have our own favourite performers and there are probably lots of reasons this is so, but apart from the fact that we like their voice, there is usually some kind of emotional connection made to the song when we listen to them.
In other words we are feeling it because they are....... and they are selling it to us on an emotional level. Maybe you need to cast your net further for good artists to listen to. :)

How does this grab you?

Tom N.

AndyT

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:32 am

Tom,

This is a perfect example. Ken has a great voice and he knows how to sing. But the song itself is lacking something. I just wish I could put my finger on it. If I could, I'd likely be really rich pretty quickly because so many are trying to figure this one out right now. It's a major topic in Christian music.

tombo1230

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58 am

AndyT wrote:
Tom,

This is a perfect example. Ken has a great voice and he knows how to sing. But the song itself is lacking something. I just wish I could put my finger on it. If I could, I'd likely be really rich pretty quickly because so many are trying to figure this one out right now. It's a major topic in Christian music.
I will be interested in hearing what you discover.

Tom N.

wiley

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:45 am

Andy,

I don't think it's just "Christian" or even "Worship" music. Philosophers and scholars of all kinds, all 'denominations' and beliefs have long asked 'just what is music, and why, as humans are we touched by it'?

Some have stated there is proof we humans first used beats and chants as a form of communication before we developed the skills of language, some deny that, saying we most likely 'grunted' and such.

It's a design now that as embryos we 'hear' our first music, be that by the beat or soundwave that enters or perhaps pushes against the womb. It's only been a century or so since we came to understand just how sound is 'made' or travels, (or the science/physics behind sound).

Perhaps it is genetic, written in our genes? Passed down from generation to generation - we listen for what excited our fore fathers (and/or mothers)

I hear those who cast doubt on 'natural' talent, that no human is 'born' with the 'gift' of music, nor any other such thing. Our television screens and media is full today of shows and chapters that directly dwell on telling such stories, some to extreme.

As a Grand Father of an Autistic child (This is "Autism Awareness Month") and who just left watching her and several hundred other high school age children play in Carnegie Hall, I have seen that natural talent, up close and personal.

I have watched her too many times open up a new piece of sheet music and just play it. Never seen it, never heard it, just plays it. Same with other things, she told me once they "Just Float around in my head".

There are those who would deny we can live without music, those who deny we can't.

So exactly what are we 'looking' for? Is it even feasible it should be there? Is it an emotion or better yet, an emotional tie with the artist, or the lyrics, or the rhythm, melody, or the beat? Perhaps all of them, perhaps the syncopation is what we are after?

All I know is when I pick up the guitar, it's a different feel than when I listen to others. Something happens, something runs up my arm and into my head. Now if I can turn that around then forget it - make the stuff run from my head to my arms and fingers without effort - I'll have figured out some sort of personal victory!

And even then, would I (or even should I) be able to, or even care if, others who hear me, get it?

Music Junkie

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:01 pm

wiley wrote:
All I know is when I pick up the guitar, it's a different feel than when I listen to others. Something happens, something runs up my arm and into my head. Now if I can turn that around then forget it - make the stuff run from my head to my arms and fingers without effort - I'll have figured out some sort of personal victory!

And even then, would I (or even should I) be able to, or even care if, others who hear me, get it?
Exactly.... Well said, Wiley. :)

Andy:

All I can say it that music is very personal to me, and I can't really explain why certain songs move me so much. I can tell you what I like about certain songs (maybe the lyrics or the solo) and what I don't like about others (maybe the lyrics or the singers voice). But those same songs could be hated and loved by others, respectively....

I would tend to agree with Tom and Shel about expanding your net a bit and discovering some new artists. I really like a band called Switchfoot. I had no idea they were a Christian band until I watched an episode of Guitar Center Sessions which showcased them. Here is a list on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ch ... rock_bands

I am not a religious guy at all, but that does not keep me from listening to music that I like.... ;)

Jason

unclewalt

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:23 pm

tombo1230

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
All I can say it that music is very personal to me, and I can't really explain why certain songs move me so much. I can tell you what I like about certain songs (maybe the lyrics or the solo) and what I don't like about others (maybe the lyrics or the singers voice). But those same songs could be hated and loved by others, respectively....
Jason
This is more or less what three seperate people I spoke to about this said in reply. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic