Learning guitar at an older age question

AndyT

Sun May 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Chas is in his 90's, Bear I think is late 80's as for me I'm just a kid here at 52 and all of us are having fun whether we get better or not. It's the journey that makes the trip worth it. Tell him to go for it.

fjeanmur

Sun May 04, 2014 6:39 pm

AndyT wrote:
Chas is in his 90's, Bear I think is late 80's as for me I'm just a kid here at 52 and all of us are having fun whether we get better or not. It's the journey that makes the trip worth it. Tell him to go for it.
Andy,

My husband will be 57 next month, but these other members have him beat! He's read through a lot of the posts and says he's going to give a try. I think it will be fun to watch what happens. Thanks for joining in.

AndyT

Sun May 04, 2014 7:10 pm

I was yanking on Chas and Bears chain. If anything they might be in their 60's.
LOL

fjeanmur

Sun May 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Shhh! Don't tell him that! He saw 80's and 90's and he was so impressed, he said he wants to give the guitar a try.

tombo1230

Sun May 04, 2014 8:29 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Tom, your teacher was either a Dick or an intellectual snob to tell you it was probably pointless!
He was a dick! :)

Tom N.

cosmicmechanic

Sun May 04, 2014 8:34 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
... The guitar teacher said at my age it was probably a waste of time as it's harder to learn as you get older.
The idea that a guitar teacher would even think such a thing makes me grind my teeth ...

Playing a musical instrument is a great way to stay in the mode of remembering how to learn and learning how to remember ... that is surely a positive as birthdays accumulate ?

And all the muscle coordination that develops means connections in the brain are growing, and all.
Jean, I'm not sure if this will help your husband find his car keys, but at least he can stay home and play with musical keys :)

Pierre

P.S. Tom, a dick can also be an intellectual snob ... they are not mutually exclusive :silly:

Music Junkie

Sun May 04, 2014 9:50 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Tom, your teacher was either a Dick or an intellectual snob to tell you it was probably pointless!

Tom N.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom: You have certainly proven him wrong..... B)

tombo1230

Sun May 04, 2014 10:06 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:

P.S. Tom, a dick can also be an intellectual snob ... they are not mutually exclusive :silly:
Yes you are right Pierre, but he was no intellectual. :P :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Sun May 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Tom N.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom: You have certainly proven him wrong..... B)
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jason. I sure hope so. :) I knew when he said it that he was wrong!
Age is no barrier, is really what I'm saying. I have improved from day one at TG. It just takes practice.

Tom N.

fjeanmur

Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
... The guitar teacher said at my age it was probably a waste of time as it's harder to learn as you get older.
The idea that a guitar teacher would even think such a thing makes me grind my teeth ...

Playing a musical instrument is a great way to stay in the mode of remembering how to learn and learning how to remember ... that is surely a positive as birthdays accumulate ?

And all the muscle coordination that develops means connections in the brain are growing, and all.
Jean, I'm not sure if this will help your husband find his car keys, but at least he can stay home and play with musical keys :)

Pierre

Well, Pierre, he does have trouble finding his car keys frequently, but we'll see if he spends some time trying to learn. He said he will. I will keep everyone updated if he takes off with it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic