Guitar String Question

tombo1230

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:15 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hi Neil and everyone on this string!

I think everyone was right on in their answers and suggestions and I really do appreciate all your input. I decided that perhaps taking the guitar back to its place of purchase ;) was not the best idea. So I did a little research and found a luthier/stringed instrument repair person who comes highly recommended and very close to here. It's funny because it seems that what I was complaining about was not my imagination. I felt that with heavier strings, my guitar came back bad and was getting worse. (How could that be possible???) He explained that since the guitar was not set up for the heavier strings that the neck was moving!

We talked for about twenty minutes and his plan of action is continue with the lighter strings, adjust the neck, lower the bridge a bit and file the grooves (?) in the nut so that if I want the heavier strings at some point he would only have to adjust the truss rod. (I didn't even know where that was!) His feeling was that for my playing level, working on technique was more important than bigger sound. I think I agree with that. So . . .

I'll be without the guitar until Friday, but I'm holding out hope because we talked about a lot of things that were giving me problems and he said that most of these should clear up. (Almost sounds like the guitar will play itself! :laugh: )

So thanks again, and I'll be ready to report what improvements I find.

Jean
It sounds like you have taken your guitar to the correct person. I am glad it will all be resolved for you soon Jean and you can get back to the important stuff.......Playing!! :) He is doing a proper setup, makes me wonder why this wasn't done at the shop when they changed the guage of your strings???

The truss rod runs the length of the neck in case you were wondering. It is a kind of metal bar with an adjuster at either the sound hole end, or the stock end. It is buried inside the neck.

Tom N.

Max

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:02 pm

on an episode of "Live from Daryl's house".

Billy Gibbons was relating a story of how backstage prior to a gig with B.B. King some years past they exchanged axes briefly..Billy noted aloud to B.B. the gauge on "Lucille" was really light.

B.B.told him that he had been using really light strings for years .008 on the high end..'Why are you working so hard"? was B.B.'s retort to Billy.

SO...if you were happy with the tone & feel of the lighter strings, why work so hard??? B) B) B)

Max

PS: Don't forget they're talking about electric guitars and can pump up the tone and volume, but if you were happy :) keep doing what feels good.
PPS: I think Stevie Ray Vaughan used 13's and detuned a half step.

Lots of different strokes (or strings) for different folks.

sbutler

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Well Jean, I'm sure glad you posted your progress here on this site. I've been wondering what you had learned. Sounds like you are getting a pro to help set your guitar up properly, and I've learned a little bit more since you started this thread.
Hope your back to playing soon. Be sure to let us know what you think of your new set up when you get it back.

Scott

fjeanmur

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Tom,

Why didn't he do a set up when he decided I needed a different string gauge? That's a very good question.

Max,

I agree with you. I wasn't looking to change the weight of the strings; the tech said they would lay straighter over one of the frets.

Scott,

I've learned a lot too. 1): That the place on the highway where you buy the guitar is probably not the best place to have it maintained; 2): As you explain problems to a tech, if he looks at you like you don't know what you're talking about, it might be because he doesn't know what he's doing; and 3): the Forum is the place to go for answers. (After all, it was Dean who got me thinking that the guitar was not set up correctly in the first place.) Only now, it's worse.

And I now know where to find the truss rod! :silly:

haoli25

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Jean,

Glad you are finally getting your guitar sorted out. As I learned a very long time ago, all luthiers are not created equal. When you find a good one (and I think you have now), hang on to him as long as you can. A good knowledgeable craftsman can increase the ease and pleasure of playing and extend the life of your guitar. A bad luthier will not only just take your money, in some cases they can ruin you guitar. Let us know how the new setup works out for you.

Happy playing,

Bill

fjeanmur

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Hey all!

It's Friday and I know everyone is looking foward to the weekend. Also it's Friday and I got my guitar back from the luthier and the only thing I can say is--OMG! What a difference! It is playing so much more easily now. I understand now that the guitar when purchased never was set up well and the change in string gauge a few weeks ago just made things worse.

I tried out "Imagine", and no more capo at the first fret for me!

So, everyone, all the info and answers I got have helped to solve the problem. The things that have been giving me difficulty for months I see now can be worked out. Maybe I'm even ready for "Whodunit." Well, maybe not just yet. :blink:

Relax and have a great July weekend everyone.

Jean

willem

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:52 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hey all!

It's Friday and I know everyone is looking foward to the weekend. Also it's Friday and I got my guitar back from the luthier and the only thing I can say is--OMG! What a difference! It is playing so much more easily now. I understand now that the guitar when purchased never was set up well and the change in string gauge a few weeks ago just made things worse.

I tried out "Imagine", and no more capo at the first fret for me!

So, everyone, all the info and answers I got have helped to solve the problem. The things that have been giving me difficulty for months I see now can be worked out. Maybe I'm even ready for "Whodunit." Well, maybe not just yet. :blink:

Relax and have a great July weekend everyone.

Jean
Great,, maybe you can try Lagrima ,, fine playing Jean and a fine weekend.

Willem

fjeanmur

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 pm

willem wrote:

Great,, maybe you can try Lagrima ,, fine playing Jean and a fine weekend.

Willem

Not a bad idea, Willem. I didn't think of that!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic