Guitar String Question

fjeanmur

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 am

Hey everyone!

I hope everyone is having a great summer (or winter, if that's where you are)!

I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on a string question.

I recently took my guitar back to the Guitar Center because it's almost two years old and I heeded Neil's warning about having it looked over. The tech thought everything was ok, but wanted to change to a different type of strings because he said that the high E string was not sitting right over the third fret, or something like that. (Not that I noticed anything!) Well he changed the strings from the D'Addario Custom Light (.011-.052) to the D'Addario Light Coated Phosper Bronze (.012-.053). I have to admit, the guitar sounds beautiful, but I'm struggling with the strings. They've been on for about two weeks (ok, I've been away on vacation, so I haven't had that much time with them), but my fingers are killing me, I can't slide easily, and I'm getting extraneous buzzes particularly on the F barre chord that was never there before, among other things.

Is this normal after a change in string gauge, or is the promise on the package of the "feel of uncoated strings" not all it's cracked up to be? I love the way the guitar sounds, (Is that because of the heavier gauge?) but I'm ready to cut the strings off. Summer is when I have more time to play and I don't want to waste time because of sore fingers.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I stick it out with them? Advice?

Jean

sbutler

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:14 am

Jean, absolutely "STICK IT OUT". It sounds like your fingers aren't used to a little heavier gauge string. And it is only (a little ) heavier. I'll bet your fingers will shape up in a few days. Stay away from a lot of hand lotion or liquids that tend to make your fingers softer.

The sound will be worth it.

scott

familyman4

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 am

Short answer, since you asked: Change the strings back to what you like.

Longer version: My bet is that you will "like the sound" of almost any new string that you try. 2 years is a long time to keep the original strings on the guitar so there would be dirt, oil, stuff inside the windings that will effect the sound a bit.

It doesn't make sense that you are having fret buzz now. The new strings that you mention are still light guage strings so there shouldn't be an issue with the distance to the fret wire itself.

A lot of times, people are surprised how much more volume they get with a heavier guage string. Then after playing them for a while, change back because of sore fingers. I still don't think that should be your situation since you really are using light strings still. The volume can be really important if you are playing bluegrass music or are jamming with others a lot and need to be heard through the sound of other instruments.

Lastly, I have experimented with strings brands and guages for years. I now stick to the ones that I feel are the best all around string for what I do. I understand that technology continues to chane products as time moves on but I am happy with what I have found.

Experiment when you have time but if this is your best time to play, don't mess around with a string that you don't like. It will not sound better later, what it is now is what it will be.

Bart

RicksPick

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 am

Hi Jean

Im with Scott, Keep at it your fingers will soon get used to them, mine did, I went from 10's to 12's, ouch!!
Now 12's are normal for me,when I do play anything less it fells so easy, I think there is difference in tone with thicker strings.
As for changing strings so that they sit right over a fret... I would want to know what the guitar originally came with, If any changes had been made?
What was wrong with the fret?

I have to also agree with use any gauge you like, you may have to make some changes to setup to accommidate.

RicksPick

fjeanmur

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 am

familyman4 wrote:

Longer version: My bet is that you will "like the sound" of almost any new string that you try. 2 years is a long time to keep the original strings on the guitar so there would be dirt, oil, stuff inside the windings that will effect the sound a bit.

It doesn't make sense that you are having fret buzz now. The new strings that you mention are still light guage strings so there shouldn't be an issue with the distance to the fret wire itself.

A lot of times, people are surprised how much more volume they get with a heavier guage string. Then after playing them for a while, change back because of sore fingers. I still don't think that should be your situation since you really are using light strings still. The volume can be really important if you are playing bluegrass music or are jamming with others a lot and need to be heard through the sound of other instruments.

Lastly, I have experimented with strings brands and guages for years. I now stick to the ones that I feel are the best all around string for what I do. I understand that technology continues to chane products as time moves on but I am happy with what I have found.

Experiment when you have time but if this is your best time to play, don't mess around with a string that you don't like. It will not sound better later, what it is now is what it will be.

Bart
Hey Bart!

I've got two opposing answers. I wonder what others will say. But, oh no!!! My stings were not two yeas old. I change those regularly. I just had the guitar looked over after two years. I'm wondering if it's this coating on the strings that is the problem.

Well thanks for the thoughtful reply and to Scott as well. I want to see what others have to say because I'm not looking foward to changing the strings if I don't have to.

Jean

wiley

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 pm

tombo1230

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:29 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
familyman4 wrote:

Bart
Hey Bart!

I've got two opposing answers. I wonder what others will say. But, oh no!!! My stings were not two yeas old. I change those regularly. I just had the guitar looked over after two years. I'm wondering if it's this coating on the strings that is the problem.

Well thanks for the thoughtful reply and to Scott as well. I want to see what others have to say because I'm not looking foward to changing the strings if I don't have to.

Jean
Hi Jean,
I use coated strings light guage 12 to 53. I like these strings, I don't really notice they are coated or otherwise. I play every day so my finger tips are hard. Maybe you just need to persevere until your fingers get stronger and more callused since you have been away on holiday.

The buzzing is either you are not close enough to the fret, or not pressing down enough, or there is a problem with your guitar setup or fret. I would suggest you put a capo on where you are getting the buzz, if it is still buzzing when you play that string and fret, then that would indicate it's the guitar and nothing you are doing. If that is the case I would go back to the shop and tell them that you have a problem since they changed your strings.

Tom N.

willem

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:37 pm

New strings and then heavy'r ones goes together with a total new adjustment(setup?).

I agree with the others to get used to them ,, if not then try Elixer 12" nano etc,, smooth as butter.

Willem

fjeanmur

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:37 pm

RicksPick wrote:
Hi Jean

Im with Scott, Keep at it your fingers will soon get used to them, mine did, I went from 10's to 12's, ouch!!
Now 12's are normal for me,when I do play anything less it fells so easy, I think there is difference in tone with thicker strings.
As for changing strings so that they sit right over a fret... I would want to know what the guitar originally came with, If any changes had been made?
What was wrong with the fret?

I have to also agree with use any gauge you like, you may have to make some changes to setup to accommidate.

RicksPick
Hi!

It seems that most of the answers are to stick it out. I don't remember what the guitar came with, but the custom light D'Addario strings were put on as part of the set up. As far as the fret, I really don't know. This was a different tech who who felt that the string would sit straighter over the fret (I think that's what he said) then the ones that I had on. He said the neck was perfectly straight, nothing needed to be done to the guitar. I think he thought he was doing me a favor by giving me the coated strings saying I wouldn't have to change them so often. That's not a problem though because I have my Martin Guitar video (I don't have a Martin guitar) and my notes on changing strings. I still get a little nervous doing it, but I always seem to manage.

Jean

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Jean, I'm using exactly the same strings you have on your guitar on my new BSG and they are just fine with a great sound and feel.
If the buzzing persists go ask the shop why the buzz. I don't think it is the strings.
Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic