Guitar String Question

fjeanmur

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:28 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Jean, I'm using exactly the same strings you have on your guitar on my new BSG and they are just fine with a great sound and feel.
If the buzzing persists go ask the shop why the buzz. I don't think it is the strings.
Chris
Yes, Chris, I don't think it's the strings. I think it's me and that why I'm wondering if this struggle is necessary or if I'd Be better off going back to what I had. My guitar is strictly for practice purposes.

wiley

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:11 pm

BigBear

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi Jean! Wiley and Tom (among others) are correct. Just stick it out. I recommend using the heaviest gauge strings you can handle. I have .012 Nano Elixirs on two of my guitars and .013 Nanos on my fingerstyle guitar. I honestly believe the coated strings are easier on your fingers than un-coated. BTW- Neil, unless he's changed, uses .013 un-coated DiAddarios. They give him an extraordinary sound.

And never use lotion on your fingertips. You are trying to build up a callus not remove it!!

Just give it a few more weeks and you'll never look back!

Cheers!

michelew

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:28 am

Hi Jean,

I played with 11s for ages. After reading a heap of TG forum posts about strings, I decided to try 12s - Elixir coated strings. The difference in sound was really noticeable; louder and more tones, clearer. It took my fingers a while to adjust to the extra tension that's for sure. But I haven't looked back and I now find 11s unsatisfying and too tinny.

So I'd definitely suggest you stick with it for a couple of weeks.

If you find your fingers don't adjust and/or you're not playing much any more because you don't enjoy playing, then there's no point having an improved sound. Pick the ones that make you want to play.

It's all up to how they work for you.

Shel

fjeanmur

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 am

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. I have read everything that everyone had to say and I think I have to make a trip back to the shop. I see that two things are going on: first the tension on the strings is definitely more difficult and I'm not sure it's worth the struggle. I'm not a novice player, so I should not be struggling with buzzes that weren't there before. The second issue is I can feel the coating on the strings. I don't care what the package says and the feel of the strings is also making playing uncomfortable. It's a Seagull guitar, the only one I have, and so the guitar is going to have to do no matter what I'm trying to play. So maybe I'll talk to the tech who originally set up the guitar, and not the other one, and make a decision from there.

The advice has been so helpful and I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Jean

BigBear

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 am

Jean- remember that the nut of your guitar is cut for a certain string thickness. Usually when you play strings different than it was cut for you can pick up string buzzing. Especially if you go thinner strings because the thinner strings will sit lower in the nut cut. That's why the guitar tech needs to set up your guitar for the exact strings you intend to use. And of course he will check for neck straightness too. If you've had the guitar for awhile the neck may have a little more bend to it and it will buzz also. You probably just need a good setup and it will be fine!

Cheers!

wiley

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 pm

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:01 am

Wiley Wrote:
EDIT - Seagull no longer has that info on their site, but there are forums out there which probably do. Seagull has also begun carrying and using their own line of strings, the only gauge being 'lights' 12>53
You'd need to email them for specifics.

Here are some S6 Original details:

S6 Original guitar is factory fitted with .012-.053 phosphor bronze strings.
The string height set up is 5/64" at the 12th fret on the high E and between 6
and 7/64" at the 12th fret on the low E. To adjust the truss rod, you must use a
4 mm allen wrench, refer to link within FAQ for Truss Rod and Strap Button information Pdf's

Seagull FAQ's

Seagull Story

Intro

:)

sbutler

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:22 pm

wiley wrote:
Jean,

You should be able to go to "Seagull Guitars" website and find the model number of your guitar and then find what gauge and even the specific name brand of strings your guitar was originally set up for. Personally I have owned two S6 Seagulls, both came stock with "light" gauge strings, D'addario Phosphor Bronze I believe. Most guitars that price level do come with 'light' gauge.

"Light" meaning, in most cases - 12 > 53.

*Seagull is manufactured and owned by "Godin Guitar" out of Canada.

My Seagull, just returned from having the bridge glued back on and a set-up had the saddle too low after the bridge was sanded down to eliminate the glue and stuff left behind after pulling it the rest of the way off. Problem - fret buzz!

There's an entire string (pun intended) of things that could be causing your discomfort - and the buzz. Knowing that Seagull uses 'lights' in their builds points towards something else done or happening.

I'm going to say this though - If I take a guitar to a tech to have it checked and if he knows I want the action checked, or a set-up done, if that tech doesn't grab a Fret Rocker first or at least look to see how straight the neck is BEFORE he does anything else - I'm out of there!

In all honesty - if I tell them I'm looking for a setup and the first question out of their mouth isn't "What and how do you play - what style" or even better "Can you play something for me before we begin". Then I'm sure enough taking my money and my guitar with me out the door!

EDIT - Seagull no longer has that info on their site, but there are forums out there which probably do. Seagull has also begun carrying and using their own line of strings, the only gauge being 'lights' 12>53.
Wiley, that is interesting. I traded my Seagull last year, as it's bridge was starting to separate. I didn't know it was a common problem with them. Scott

fjeanmur

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Neil and everyone on this string!

I think everyone was right on in their answers and suggestions and I really do appreciate all your input. I decided that perhaps taking the guitar back to its place of purchase ;) was not the best idea. So I did a little research and found a luthier/stringed instrument repair person who comes highly recommended and very close to here. It's funny because it seems that what I was complaining about was not my imagination. I felt that with heavier strings, my guitar came back bad and was getting worse. (How could that be possible???) He explained that since the guitar was not set up for the heavier strings that the neck was moving!

We talked for about twenty minutes and his plan of action is continue with the lighter strings, adjust the neck, lower the bridge a bit and file the grooves (?) in the nut so that if I want the heavier strings at some point he would only have to adjust the truss rod. (I didn't even know where that was!) His feeling was that for my playing level, working on technique was more important than bigger sound. I think I agree with that. So . . .

I'll be without the guitar until Friday, but I'm holding out hope because we talked about a lot of things that were giving me problems and he said that most of these should clear up. (Almost sounds like the guitar will play itself! :laugh: )

So thanks again, and I'll be ready to report what improvements I find.

Jean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic