Music Camp Reports?

TGNeil

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi Gang,

I seem to remember that a few of our members planned on going to the Puget Sound Camp around this time. I would love to hear about the experience from them, and reports from anybody who has been to any camps recently, or maybe not even recently. Aside from general curiosity, it also could help us as the IGC evolves over the next few years. A particular one I'd like to hear about is Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch.

Looking forward to responses,

Neil

jimcjimc

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:04 am

How about this for a quick report from my IPhone. Our own Shel won the grand prize in the raffle. An ukulele built by Wayne Henderson - see attached photo I hope

daryl

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:58 am

WOW WOW WOW! I bet Shel was THRILLED! But no picture Jim. :(

Music Junkie

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33 am

I heard back from one of the attendees and he said it was wonderful. They had a huge open mic night. Around 130 people in the audience, and 79 individual performances. Those odds are better compared to me being the only one not performing last year at IGC.... :woohoo:

I hope to hear more about your trip, Jim!

Jason

dennisg

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:06 pm

I just got back from a fantastic week at the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop (my 3rd one) where I talked extensively with the organizers about how such a well-run camp became so well-run. I learned a lot.

haoli25

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:34 pm

I have just returned from Tommy Emmanuel and John Knowles' Guitar Camp in New York. I am not sure if I can swing it yet, but this camp was soooooo good, I am considering going to Tommy's Camp in Sydney - October 9 -12.

Bill

willem

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:46 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
How about this for a quick report from my IPhone. Our own Shel won the grand prize in the raffle. An ukulele built by Wayne Henderson - see attached photo I hope
Wow Jim,, hope we see something.

Willem

daryl

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:05 pm

haoli25 wrote:
I have just returned from Tommy Emmanuel and John Knowles' Guitar Camp in New York. I am not sure if I can swing it yet, but this camp was soooooo good, I am considering going to Tommy's Camp in Sydney - October 9 -12.

Bill
Wow Bill. I'm so envious. There's no way I could even be in the same room as Tommy. Being awestruck and all. I know he's just a normal guy but geesh. :blush: I'd love to here want went on. Was there an open-mic night there? Did you perform? If so, what did you play? Any pictures?

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Great to hear you had a great time at camps guys.... how about spilling a few beans for us less fortunate ones... :)

jimcjimc

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Not sure why I couldn't attach the file, but I tweeted it also:

A quick update on my recent camp experience.

I enjoyed the three classes I took for the week, with each class focusing on various right hand techniques:

1) A class called the daily groove where the teacher introduced lots of different strums, including pop strums, rock strums, reggae, soul, bo-diddley, hootenany strum, shuffle beats, etc, etc - This is what I will work most on over the next few months.
2) A basic fingerpicking class covering arpeggio and travis picking - lots of ideas for practice
3) A basic intro to flat-picking class - focused on holding the pick and up-down technique and learning songs like arkansas traveler and turkey in the straw by ear a measure at a time - listening to the note and finding it on the fretboard. This is something I had not really done before. I hope to continue to work on it - just not my highest priority at the moment

I did a duet at the student concert with a fellow student who played the banjo. This was something I had not done before and it was a good experience to perform on stage with another musician - you need to work out things like starting, stopping, breaks between verses for leads, and instrumentals. It went well. It was a comedy routine/musical performance around the old Loudon Wainwright song, "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road".

There was also a lot of opportunities around camp to join jams and music circles. I didn't really take enough advantage of these as I need to work on a lot of other things first, including having a repertoire of songs when it's your turn in the circle, being able to recognize chord changes without looking at other people's fingers, playing leads, just more confidence in my musical abilities, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic