Are they CRAZY!!!! Unloved treasures.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:00 am

It's bigger than the F340, which seems to have a shorter scale than my Larrivee. That must be why the strings are rattling when I strum with gusto.
-Shel
Maybe its the gusto! ;-) Na, only kidding ya. You are a good soul for taking care of a guitar in need. Sounds like it should be someone's beach banger... and for you or me, life's too short to play on anything but the best guitars :-).

michelew

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:46 am

Actually, maybe I've been WAAAAAAAY too quick to treat it as one that I should re-home. And maybe it was the gusto indeed (producing the rattle). Maybe it's just settling into the new strings and being under tension again...I have no idea. But, this evening it is sounds much better and the strings feel OK. Haha!

But, I'm up for an experiment I think. So I think I might just change the 1st, 2nd and 6th to the medium gauge strings as Doug suggested for DADGAD tuning and see what that's like.

The neck width is something I'm needing to adjust to as I've been playing my nylon mostly with it's whopping classical neck.

Life's too short you say. Hopefully that's not because I don't have much left. :P

I probably will still find someone who needs this guitar more than me. But I'm having fun exploring it in the meantime. :)

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Spock was always paraphrasing, the greeting is really: Live long and prosper and play all the great guitars you can find!

michelew

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:41 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Spock was always paraphrasing, the greeting is really: Live long and prosper and play all the great guitars you can find!
Haha! Well of course! :) I've heard a similar thing was recently found on some old broken stone tablets. Well the last bit anyway.

TGNesh

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:44 am

Shel, I would absolutely KEEP the guitar! :)

michelew

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:24 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Shel, I would absolutely KEEP the guitar! :)
Hey Ness! :) I've just been watching your new lesson. Such a sweet song and what a good opportunity to try to get a handle on that bounce of yours that I've coveted for so long. (yep it still evades me a bit, more practice....I just don't play with a pick enough :unsure: Ooops!).

So, keep it you say. Well then it's decided. :) :) :) how can I argue against genius. :)

I'm enjoying it more and more. I have it in open G. Doug was SPOT ON about mixing the strings light and heavy. It is starting to sing. So....now I have no excuse for not tackling and mastering those alternate tuning pieces, right!?! :)

Hey Ness what are your favourite Open G tunes? (And yes I realise that you can convert other tune to open G) but what do YOU play in open G? Hmmm. Perhaps I should start a new thread. I've started so few recently. B)

:)

leeson

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:49 pm

My brother had a Yamaha FG 340 in his closet unplayed for years. So I asked if I could borrow it. 20 yrs later I still have it. Then about 5 yrs ago he bought a Martin D-16, played it for a while and let it sit in the closet. So I borrowed that one too and I still have it. I am trying to convince him he wants a vintage Gibson :laugh:

Bill

willem

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:00 pm

leeson wrote:
My brother had a Yamaha FG 340 in his closet unplayed for years. So I asked if I could borrow it. 20 yrs later I still have it. Then about 5 yrs ago he bought a Martin D-16, played it for a while and let it sit in the closet. So I borrowed that one too and I still have it. I am trying to convince him he wants a vintage Gibson :laugh:

Bill
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

michelew

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:06 pm

leeson wrote:

Bill
Haha! Good luck with that. :)

tombo1230

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:54 am

leeson wrote:

Bill

You are bad!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic