A guitarpro newbie question

auntlynnie

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:11 am

Hey there,
I suspect that this is an easy question, and I'd like to avoid watching hours of tutorials to get the answer.

I use GP only occasionally. I'm looking at one of Neil's songs on GP and everything is there, however the bass notes are grayed out. I'm guessing that I inadvertently told GP to do this, but I can't find where to turn the notes back on.

Can anyone help me with this?
THanks,
Lynn

auntlynnie

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:41 am

After looking around, I found the answer. I had clicked the "multivoice" option (right next the the 1 2 3 4 buttons) and voila, all was back to normal.
Lynn

Music Junkie

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:01 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
After looking around, I found the answer. I had clicked the "multivoice" option (right next the the 1 2 3 4 buttons) and voila, all was back to normal.
Lynn
Yep.... B)

willem

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:51 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Lynn
Yep,, they are written on multiple pages (tracks) and you can glue them together as you found out.

Cheers

Willem

leeson

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:30 pm

As long as you have your GP question answered I will keep his string alive by asking what is Guitar Pro anyway? Is is something I should get? How does it help?

Thanks

Bill

auntlynnie

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Bill, my admittedly non-techie understanding of GuitarPro is this - it shows what looks like tabulature, but plays it, and will even show you what it looks like on a guitar fretboard. You can slow it down and play along with it which is what I use it for the most. But it is capable of much, much more. You can compose with it or take a melody and flesh out the bass parts. I suspect that it really does quite a lot that I'm not even aware of.
For those of us who are not very good with measures and such, you can write out music and it will help you fit it into measures. You can write it in tab and it will display traditional music notation above.
I forget what it costs, but I first bought the iPad app version for around ten dollars. Later when I needed more of the features I purchased the full version (about $50).

I'm sure others, who use it much more, will chime in and elaborate.
Cheers,
Lynn

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:01 pm

leeson wrote:
As long as you have your GP question answered I will keep his string alive by asking what is Guitar Pro anyway? Is is something I should get? How does it help?

Thanks

Bill
Bill:

I certainly would not consider it a big necessity, but it is very useful for working on troubled parts of songs. The GP files that Neil provides can be played and slowed down. That can be very useful for parts of songs that are troubling you. Especially with rhythm problems. Just my take on it.

I use it quite a bit for the chord diagrams I insert into my chord chart transcriptions on songs that I am working on.

Jason

tombo1230

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 am

leeson wrote:

Thanks

Bill
Bill, every lesson, or almost every Target lesson has a guitar pro file attachment with it.
The file can be loaded into Gpro which has a realistic sound engine, so you can hear what the tune should sound like. I find it really useful for fingerstyle guitar solos as you hear the rhythm, as Jason has said.

I also find it useful because you can practice at a slow pace and set it to increase over so many plays if you want to. You can add a capo to the Gpro file if you wish and you can also set a loop between any two points and slow it down if you have a particular part that you find difficult. There is a tuner available, you can display a fretboard or a keyboard whilst playing the file. You can change what type of guitar you are listening to, for instance, from steel string to nylon string. You can edit a file, for instance I learned one of Neils songs then edited its GPro file so that I could play and sing four verses of it. You can have a metronome playing whilst the music is playing. You can transpose a song. You can purchase GPro files, some with full scores, from what's called 'My Songbook'.

There's even more to the program than this, but these are the main things I find useful.
There is at least one other free program that can play these files, it works ok, but is basic.

Hope this is useful. :)

Tom N.

wiley

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 am

wiley

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:01 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic