A tricky move (at least for me)

fjeanmur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:53 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Jean, and everybody else following this thread,

I was about to craft a response and explanation for you but after I watched Vanessa's video I figured there was no point. Her video was spot on and exactly what I would have tried to explain. Big thanks to her for this and everything else she contributes to TG.

The only thing I might expand on is, as she alluded to, if you can't get your 3rd finger to the 6th string comfortably, start with reaching for the 5th or 4th, and keep moving it there and off. As that gets more comfortable with that you should find the 6th will start coming into reach.

Neil
Will do. Thank you, Neil.

michelew

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:26 pm

This thread is PURE gold; classic TG; classic can't help but help TGNessa, classic Neil, classic community members jumping in with more helpful stuff. There aren't enough of these threads. There should be more "Im-having-trouble-with..." Threads.

I love you guys! :kiss:

Jean,

My third finger has been a bit rebellious in a song I'm playing too. In Jason Mraz's, Details in the Fabric, I need to move from C with a high G (pinky on the first string, third fret) (x32013) to G6/C (X20033) to a Am7 with a high G (x02013) finally to a C/G with a high G (302013). The pinky stays where it is the whole time. The third finger is moving a fair bit (from the 5th to the 2nd string, hanging, then to the 6th string). So on the Am7 it is just hanging down the bottom, so when it needs to move to the 6th string it says "are you sure? I'm quite comfy here thanks!" I need to really command it, especially when I'm playing it on my classical with its fat fretboard where it needs to travel a fair way. :) good luck with the finger exercises.

M

TGNesh

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:43 am

Well it's sure nice to spread a positive vibe over the forums! ;)

michelew wrote:
This thread is PURE gold; classic TG; classic can't help but help TGNessa, classic Neil, classic community members jumping in with more helpful stuff. There aren't enough of these threads. There should be more "Im-having-trouble-with..." Threads.

I love you guys! :kiss:

M.

TGNesh

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 am

:laugh:

Keep going Jean, it won't come over night, as you already know. Train that finger like 3x a minute a day, set a timer! ;) (I'm not kidding, it does wonders!!!!)

fjeanmur wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
That's a great reply Ness!
Now I want to see Neil say "bitch" in a video response too! :woohoo:
To add to this, I'm home now and I just tried out Vanessa's advice: plant the pinky down and attempt to move the fourth finger. Well, every time I do that, up comes the middle finger and, well, I don't have to explain what that looks like, :woohoo:

fjeanmur

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Hey Vanessa!

It's moving! It's moving! The first day, I could only move the third finger to the forth string, the second day to the forth and sometime the fifth string and this afternoon easily to the fifth with one or twice (but stil not comfortably) to the sixth. This is not taking long at all! Amazing!!!

TGNesh

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:15 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEEH!!! That's just awesome and SO great to hear! :woohoo:

GO JEAN!! :cheer: B)

fjeanmur wrote:
Hey Vanessa!

It's moving! It's moving! The first day, I could only move the third finger to the forth string, the second day to the forth and sometime the fifth string and this afternoon easily to the fifth with one or twice (but stil not comfortably) to the sixth. This is not taking long at all! Amazing!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic