TGNesh

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:21 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oops! :S :P

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Now I want to see Neil say "bitch" in a video response too! :woohoo:

fjeanmur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:47 am

Vanessa,

That was Totally Awesome!! I never expected a video response! Actually I think it should be included as an addendum to the lesson for any other poor slobs who can't get that finger to move.

It was exactly what I was looking for--not a quick fix, but what I hope will be a sound solution to a real difficulty.

I will give it a try when I get home today. Thanks so much.

Jean

TGNeil

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:03 am

Hi Jean, and everybody else following this thread,

I was about to craft a response and explanation for you but after I watched Vanessa's video I figured there was no point. Her video was spot on and exactly what I would have tried to explain. Big thanks to her for this and everything else she contributes to TG.

The only thing I might expand on is, as she alluded to, if you can't get your 3rd finger to the 6th string comfortably, start with reaching for the 5th or 4th, and keep moving it there and off. As that gets more comfortable with that you should find the 6th will start coming into reach.

Neil

dekotaj

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:18 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Love this about this forum. That was great Miss Ness.Thanks.

Hi Jean.
A tricky move (at least for me).
We all need help on those tricky ones.
Some things I also would get from Ness's video also are.
1-The position of the guitar from her body.( the neck not pushed to far away)
2-The angle of the neck of the guitar.Head stock a little up in the air.
3-And the one thing I've been working hard on.( Neil brought this to my attention) How the left hand stays parallel to the guitar neck. This has been a big help to my playing some tricky ones. Good luck with it.

Kevin

sandysue

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi jean

I found it hard to keep my left hand stable enough to get my left 5th finger on that high G on that 1st string on the 3rd fret cleanly when coming from that 5th fret position, so at first i developed a bad habit of slightly touching or dragging my left 5th finger along that first string a little bit when making that transition. In turn that would dub out the high A note and keep it from ringing. Neil got me to correct that by just practicing over and over that one move from my last position on the 5th fret with my left index finger on the high A, to just getting my 5th finger to the high G on the 1st string 3rd fret cleanly. That repetitive practice also helped my timing since that is a fairly quick move. Eventually it got easier to make that 2nd step of getting my 4th finger on the low G on the sixth string.

sandy

auntlynnie

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi Jean,
Good for you for attempting Rosa May! I have not even thought about that one yet, though I love it.
Just to see what you are talking about (measures 5-6), I attempted it, but then noticed Vanessa's response and she pretty much has it covered.

I've been working on Hesitation Blues and I'm having a similarly difficult couple of measures (meas. 3-4 getting my ring finger over to the low E string), and like your challenge it is not a stretch, but just an awkward "How do I get my fingers all to the right place at the right time?" issue. Normally, I would try to play around it somehow, but that usually loses something in translation, and I am determined to work through this. So each day, I'm spending periods of ten minutes on the problem section, and then moving on to something else so as to not totally frustrate myself.

Good luck to both of us. :)
Lynn

willem

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Great respons Ness,,you're a morning person now :laugh: :laugh:

I am so glad that I learned the G chord like that..

Goodluck Jean , beautiful tune, I tryed the undressed part,,,ones I go back on it when I get frustrated with other songs/practicing

Willem

TGNesh

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:37 pm

You're so very welcome Jean, glad to help out a bit here, sure hope things will improve! :) Also glad to read that Neil is on the same page here! ;)

Kevin: Many thanks for the other pointers Kev' and the kind comment, you're a sweet man! :kiss:

TGNess B)

fjeanmur wrote:
Vanessa,

That was Totally Awesome!! I never expected a video response! Actually I think it should be included as an addendum to the lesson for any other poor slobs who can't get that finger to move.

It was exactly what I was looking for--not a quick fix, but what I hope will be a sound solution to a real difficulty.

I will give it a try when I get home today. Thanks so much.

Jean

TGNesh

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Good one Willem, and yes, you're absolutely right! I get SO much work done during early mornings. ;) Recording-wise I start with the close up vids, because my face still needs to wake up before I actually show up on camera! :S :laugh:

willem wrote:
Great respons Ness,,you're a morning person now :laugh: :laugh:

Willem

fjeanmur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That's a great reply Ness!
Now I want to see Neil say "bitch" in a video response too! :woohoo:
To add to this, I'm home now and I just tried out Vanessa's advice: plant the pinky down and attempt to move the fourth finger. Well, every time I do that, up comes the middle finger and, well, I don't have to explain what that looks like, :woohoo:

Let's see what else come out of this thread! :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic