What are you working on?

michelew

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Perhaps I'm just a curious kat. :P (working on being a cooool one). :)

I was interested to read Jean's thread today about the work she's doing on Rosa May (such a beautiful heartbreaker). And I LOVED reading Sandy's comments encouraging her to post a video (go for it Jean! And Sandy (I presume you have one in the works right? now that you're no longer a video virgin. :) )

So I thought it was timely to put a shout out to y'all (y'all) to hear what you're working on. While you're at it, what's inspiring you and what are you listening to (especially new stuff that's caught your attention).

Obviously Chris is Mastering the Moodies and Unclewalt is Reveling in Ragtime.

I'm consolidating, exploring open G (and getting back to some other alternate tuning songs) and I'm trying to improve a few Jason Mraz numbers I'm working on; one Nessa taught me and one I've been learning my ear (and watching JM play). I've been thinking about making a video at some point, but I tend to love songs with intense singing. That can make it hard to do justice to the singing and playing simultaneously. In fact my video editing skills have become a bit of a double edged sword. When I start playing something, after listening to the original for a while, I often think "ow that bass line is cool, maybe I could play that too" and it snowballs from there. :)

So while you're at it, are you thinking about posting a video soon?

Shel (aka - Curious (wanna-be cool) kat)

willem

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:03 am

Last weekend it was San Francisco bay ( EC)..

When I walk along my guitar I say common lets try that bounce from D to Em...

No video thoughts other then check my self

Willem

michelew

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:41 am

Cool song Willem. Good for you.

And what does your guitar say in reply?

fjeanmur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:42 am

michelew wrote:

I was interested to read Jean's thread today about the work she's doing on Rosa May (such a beautiful heartbreaker). And I LOVED reading Sandy's comments encouraging her to post a video (go for it Jean! And Sandy (I presume you have one in the works right? now that you're no longer a video virgin. :) )

So I thought it was timely to put a shout out to y'all (y'all) to hear what you're working on. While you're at it, what's inspiring you and what are you listening to (especially new stuff that's caught your attention).

I'm consolidating, exploring open G (and getting back to some other alternate tuning songs) and I'm trying to improve a few Jason Mraz numbers I'm working on; one Nessa taught me and one I've been learning my ear (and watching JM play). I've been thinking about making a video at some point, but I tend to love songs with intense singing. That can make it hard to do justice to the singing and playing simultaneously. In fact my video editing skills have become a bit of a double edged sword. When I start playing something, after listening to the original for a while, I often think "ow that bass line is cool, maybe I could play that too" and it snowballs from there. :)

Hello Michele!

It's funny how posts can start you thinking in a different direction. I have to thank Willem for the "vamp" question last week which made me take another look at Carol King's "It's Too Late," a lesson I loved the first time I saw it, but never having used a flat pick, and not being able to play barre chords, made me put the lesson at the back of my binder. But after Willem's post, I took a look at it saying, "I wonder." Well, it's now one of the things that I'm working on. I've now had expreience using a pick, my barre chords are in pretty good shape and I'm more coordinated with that pinky muting thing. Not bad after two years with the site!!! It's definitely going to be one of my challenges, but well worth it I think.

During the summer (my summer), I decided to drop back to some easier things and gave "Into the Mystic" a try. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the strumming (flat picking again), but I fell in love with that horn part!!!! Now if I can just get that little part with the picking up the neck a little faster, I would say that it's not sounding half bad.

I will go back to Rosa May, but I just think I needed to find a little encouragement, because let's face it: a level 4 instrumental is not a level 4 other thing. It can be so much more difficult because of the precision. So I decided to go back and explore some of the things that I had first worked on when I came to the site. When I saw the difference a couple of years had made, I decided it was time to post the Rosa May question and get ready to move on.

I know others have posted about the ruts they have gotten into and this was one of mine.

Great thread, Michele! I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Jean

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 am

There's no holding you back when you are in animation mode (my favourite) Shel! :-)

Apart from the fast strum on Question, I've been getting to grips with Gypsy (indeed I am mooching on the Moodies yet again!) as this is such an exciting lesson to follow. At the beginning it seemed like I would never be able to get up to speed for all the jumping around my left hand had to do to get the dynamics right but by following the slowly, slowly approach I very quickly reached the point where I am just about there where I need to be. Interesting how this learning is accumulative, there is direct carry-over on the skills you need for one song to the next. Add to that Venus and you can see where I am at. ;-)

dtaylor

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 am

I concur with Jean on Into the Mystic, I'd never heard it before the lesson and was totally gripped, there is something so perfect about the progression, the synchopation, and the resolution to C.

As for what I'm practicing, it links into the Open Tunings question you asked. There's a Martin Tallstrom instrumental version of Forever Young by Alphaville in Open G that's a delight to play, similar in technique to his Whiter Shade of Pale. It's one of those songs which looks harder than it is. I'll post a version when I can.
For those who've not had the pleasure:

dekotaj

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:49 am

Hey there curious kat.
I think the last one posted by me was a Croce song. ( lovers cross )
Ive done a Denver tune.Working on a stones tune.( wild horses ). While my guitar gently weeps.( Santana version ). Trying to finish up a Fogelberg song ( run for the roses )This song I hand done capo at 2nd fret out of the G shape. It was a song I seen done on you tube.But will not play along with Dan records.So I'm doing it capo at the 5th play out of the C shape.I also just started CARLOS SANTANA- EUROPA. 17 pages of lead work.

As far as doing videos. Not in the plans right now. But I think I talked Lisa into buying me and ( mbrace ) for my birthday. Maybe some vids after I work with it for awhile.

Be good Sis.In my book you are a cooooool Kat.
Kev

auntlynnie

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Wow, everyone is working on interesting songs!

I got inspired by Ed's FOTW of St. James Infirmary. I'm using the Arlo Guthrie chord progression. It is just fun to play. Not too difficult.

I'm also working on Hesitation Blues. It has a tricky spot that I'm finding a real challenge - I talked about it over on Jean's thread - but I'm working hard on it so that I can play it with another TGer in January when we get together to play.

Lynn

michelew

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:50 pm

dtaylor wrote:
I concur with Jean on Into the Mystic, I'd never heard it before the lesson and was totally gripped, there is something so perfect about the progression, the synchopation, and the resolution to C.

As for what I'm practicing, it links into the Open Tunings question you asked. There's a Martin Tallstrom instrumental version of Forever Young by Alphaville in Open G that's a delight to play, similar in technique to his Whiter Shade of Pale. It's one of those songs which looks harder than it is. I'll post a version when I can.
For those who've not had the pleasure:

WOW! SO beautiful.

That's a worthwhile project. Please post a video when you're happy with your progress.

Thanks Dean.

michelew

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
michelew wrote:

Hello Michele!

It's funny how posts can start you thinking in a different direction. I have to thank Willem for the "vamp" question last week which made me take another look at Carol King's "It's Too Late," a lesson I loved the first time I saw it, but never having used a flat pick, and not being able to play barre chords, made me put the lesson at the back of my binder. But after Willem's post, I took a look at it saying, "I wonder." Well, it's now one of the things that I'm working on. I've now had expreience using a pick, my barre chords are in pretty good shape and I'm more coordinated with that pinky muting thing. Not bad after two years with the site!!! It's definitely going to be one of my challenges, but well worth it I think.

During the summer (my summer), I decided to drop back to some easier things and gave "Into the Mystic" a try. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the strumming (flat picking again), but I fell in love with that horn part!!!! Now if I can just get that little part with the picking up the neck a little faster, I would say that it's not sounding half bad.

I will go back to Rosa May, but I just think I needed to find a little encouragement, because let's face it: a level 4 instrumental is not a level 4 other thing. It can be so much more difficult because of the precision. So I decided to go back and explore some of the things that I had first worked on when I came to the site. When I saw the difference a couple of years had made, I decided it was time to post the Rosa May question and get ready to move on.

I know others have posted about the ruts they have gotten into and this was one of mine.

Great thread, Michele! I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Jean
Great to hear more about what you're up to Jean. So ... Into the Mystic eh? I'm listening to it as I'm writing this. I do like Van Morrison. I enjoyed Neil's Moondance lesson. (Must revise it). The prominent bass is cool too. :)

Rosa May is a killer. I decided not to learn it because I have a deeply entrench ear worm of it at one point and it was breaking my heart. Neil really knows how to tug on those heart strings (well I was listening to Ness' version. - say no more. ) I hope you'll post your progress at some point.

Yep I find it motivational to hear what others are doing. Hearing what people are struggling with is really validating too, that we all get stuck at times. It looks like the gurus have set you on the right track. Isn't Ness the sweetest?

Thanks for sharing.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic