Ow THAT'S interesting!

michelew

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:47 pm

So... I went for a walk this lunch time down to the mid-city music store to play a hybrid nylon string guitar; as you do. I noticed it last week when I dropped in to pick up some medium strings. Verdict: it felt nice to play... But I was completely underwhelmed by the volume and sound generally. :( maybe that's a good thing for my budget. :)

But, while I was there, I saw and played a Pervy concert ukulele with a side hole. That was fun and interesting. I loved being able to see its guts so easily too. It sounded nice. But since I have one of the most beautiful ukuleles on the planet, I won't be getting myself a new one any time soon.

Still it was fun exploring the different feature.

Seen anything interesting lately in the world of instruments and/or general music related innovations?

curious kat

TGNesh

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 am

Haha! I never walk into a guitarstore, unless I really need something. I don't want G.A.S. to hit me, or I just don't see a reason to let myself go through it.

So, no, haven't seen anything recently! :P

That uke looks great though! ;)

Ness

willem

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:18 am

Yes, something like this Image

michelew

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:32 am

willem wrote:
Yes, something like this Image
WoW Willem! That's a beauty! 12 strings. I've never seen a triple course mandolin. I'd love to hear what that sounds like.

When I was in Seattle, I played some vintage Gibson mandolins. Oh my! They were GORGEOUS! I could have adopted one of those for sure. From memory, I wouldn't have been able to afford either of them in a pink fit. But, it did engrain my desire to own a mandolin one day. Seeing some mandolins players do their thing at camp strengthened that further.

Nice.

Nessa - no GAS for your then sweet woman. Probably very wise. :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:22 am

Since I encountered my BSG waiting patiently for me to take her home 3 years ago, I have felt no desire at all for another instrument (this is not meant to sound pervy!) so I have spent less and less time in guitar shops. I do have some photos of some very olde vintage guitars somewhere... I will look them up for this thread, but they seemed like wall hangers rather than ones you would want to play. Anyway, the shopkeeper did not encourage me to actually try them out and didn't really like me photographing them either.

We used to have a piano and a mandolin at home in my childhood. No one ever really played the mandolin, just the piano.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:25 am

and...

michelew

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Chris, they look really interesting. It's a shame you couldn't play them. I often see vintage instruments on EBay. If I was stupidly rich I'd be tempted to sample quite a few I think.

I recently read "Clapton's Guitar" by Allen St James. It's all about Wayne Henderson. He's fanatical about Martin guitars and collects them (to inform his luthiery as well as for the pleasure of it). There is a lot of info in the book about different Martin models and their attributes. I have to admit that it has me yearning to play an old Martin with Brazilian rosewood back and sides. The sounds is suppose to be amazing.

They're so pretty too. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic