You know you're obsessed when ....

michelew

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:04 pm

For Neil's benefit I'll say "obsessed/dedicated" thought he's already admitted to obsessions. :)

I expect most of us have a few examples of guitar related obsession, so let's hear them. Complete the following sentence, "You know you're obsessed/'dedicated' when...

Here's some of mine.

... your partner calls herself/himself a 'guitar widow/widower'. (Luckily it hasn't happened recently.)

... you go 'woo hoo' and do a little dance in the office when your latest guitar gadget arrives in your in-tray (in my case a ukulele capo - SO cute!)

... your pinky is smarting from trying to get that damn move on the first string down, to the point of OUCH, but you ignore it and just go back and keep trying anyway. (You're Beautiful). :)

... you look up from your latest project (video editing, garageBand project, youtube search to work out that song) and suddenly realize you have no idea how late it is... And who stole the sun. :) (yep! Been there).

... you really want a new guitar with [insert specific attributes here] but you can't justify the expense to yourself so you scan EBay religiously, when you would really be better off just playing. (Guilty as charged. My defense, I can still sort of be social and avoid issue 1 above at the same time while still indulging my obsession). :)

'Fess up! How do your guitar obsessions present themselves? How do you know? :)

Yep! Neil this one is for you too. :)

M

TGNesh

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:47 am

Nice thread again Shel, you sure keep the forum alive! :P

And actually, I thought something along these lines 'you know you're obsessed when', yesterday. I noticed that I couldn't wáit to get home to play a particular song again. :laugh: And when still in the car, I played it in my head.... :silly: So when I jumped out of the car to and walked to the frontdoor kinda fast, so that I could play again, I thought....'this must be an 'I'm obsessed/in love' with a song-thing'. :dry: :laugh:

I'm sure there are more signs, but this is what pops up in my head today. :)

Your signs/symptomes must be very familiar to several of us! ;)

Ness

willem

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:24 am

Obsessed, it happens, now it is Chicago by the Doobie Brothers, I play the first two measers over and over and concentrade on the inch bar knockle up thing, I worked a few hours this morning driving my cab, after that I should had to go to my daughter helping with some house painting but first I had to play that two measers over and over again,, now I'm ready for helping her.

Willem

daryl

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:16 am

You know you're obsessed when your partner/friend says "don't you know any other songs". ;)

michelew

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:02 am

Ahhhh nice to see I'm not alone. :) and you're all in touch with yourselves. :)

Ness - perfect example! I often have that feeling when I'm at work. I just want to get home so I can play whatever song I'm 'focusing' on; OK obsessed with, in love with, inspired by.

Which reminds me, of another example:

You know you're obsessed when you've listened a track SO many times that you develop an ear worm and can't get it out of your head.

Hey Pierre - remember our 'Rosa May' ear worms?

Willem - good example. Dedicated, obsessed .... Is there a fuzzy line between the two? :)

Daryl - haha! Good one!

I got another one.

You know you're obsessed, when you've played a song so many times in a row that your partner is still hearing the song even though you stopped playing it...and doesn't realised its actually an earworm. (True story!) :woohoo:

sandysue

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 am

obsessions :)

I practiced the same song thousands of times for a whole year, just so that I could get up on open mic night and forget how to play it. :S :P

sandy

BobR

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:09 pm

"You know you're obsessed/'dedicated' when...

I am sitting in a meeting at work and I am thinking "do I do the hammer on in the second or third beat?" :ohmy:

bob

TGNesh

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:12 pm

Whaha!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The absolute obsession I'd say, that does it for me, cracking up!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You're too funny Bob! :P

BobR wrote:
"You know you're obsessed/'dedicated' when...

I am sitting in a meeting at work and I am thinking "do I do the hammer on in the second or third beat?" :ohmy:

bob

TGNesh

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Haha! You're too funny too Sandy!!! :laugh: :laugh: I can absolutely imagine you doing that! The practicing thousands of times that is. :P You'll do just great next year, just like you did thís year! :cheer:

sandysue wrote:
obsessions :)

I practiced the same song thousands of times for a whole year, just so that I could get up on open mic night and forget how to play it. :S :P

sandy

TGNeil

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Michele,

What a follow-up to last week's thread about impossible stuff. On my end the revival became the type of obsession I am predisposed to, and unfortunately grew into an overuse injury. After almost 50 years of playing I have finally overdone it and can't use my right hand right now, even typing is a stretch that I probably shouldn't be doing.

Just as I was making progress on Bethena, and a handful of other Ragtime pieces, Mother Nature intervened and said to lighten up. Not surprisingly this was heavily seconded by everyone else in the household. Also a funny coincidence that last week I warned the TG Community that new material might be compromised, or at least slowed due to personal distraction, and now the distraction has created an absolute physical obstacle.

So I guess we will see if everybody has enough on their list to stay busy for a bit while I recover (hopefully!) and retreat into lesson prep and research.

...back to the ice and anti-inflammatory cupboard, maybe even the acupuncturist...

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic