You know you're obsessed when ....

michelew

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Oh Neil I'm SO sorry to hear that. OUCH! That must be devastating... I sure hope the treatments work.

There's a cautionary tale in there for all of us.

You might want to consider an Physiotherapist and/or an Osteopath too. Due to working for long hours hunched over a computer, using a mouse too much, gut issue and playing guitar to relax, I often need to visit a Phsyio. Often I have overuse discomfort and muscle knots in my hands (especially my right hand), wrists and forearms/elbows especially. It's amazing how much it can be eased by stretching a bunch of different tendons and nerves in other parts of my body, including my legs, neck and back and wrists of course. Yep it's all connected. Trigger point therapy, ultra-sound, dry needling and acupuncture have also been great.

Of course if you're that inflamed you may need to let it settle down first. But absolutely get professional help.

I really hope you're painless and on the mend real soon. Absolutely listen to you body and rest. It's essential to letting your body heal itself and being able to get back to doing the things you love.

Rest up.

Lots of love

Michele

michelew

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 pm

sandysue wrote:
obsessions :)

I practiced the same song thousands of times for a whole year, just so that I could get up on open mic night and forget how to play it. :S :P

sandy
:) don't nerves just SUCK! :) but YOU CAN conquer them. Posting a (or many) video on the forum helps. :) hint, hint. ;)

michelew

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 pm

BobR wrote:
"You know you're obsessed/'dedicated' when...

I am sitting in a meeting at work and I am thinking "do I do the hammer on in the second or third beat?" :ohmy:

bob
Bob, good one! That made me giggle out loud too. Nice meeting distraction. ;)

dtaylor

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Wow Neil, I can only imagine how hard you were playing that your RIGHT hand gave up the ghost.
Get well soon.

daryl

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Sorry to hear that your playing causes pain. My playing just hurts my wife's ears! May I ask what in particular hurts? Your thumb muscle, the back of your hand, your wrist, and/or forearm? All of the above? Take it easy and get well.

fjeanmur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:19 pm

OK, Michelle . . . here goes . . .

"You know you're obsessed" when you hear the songs you're working on in your head ALL NIGHT LONG and they stay in your head until you move onto the next song and then the next song is in your head all night long and so on, on so on and so on. :blink:

Does this happen to anyone else or am I among the most obsessed of the obsessed? Please tell me I'm not alone!!!

Jean

TGNesh

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Oh no no no, you're NOT alone.... :laugh:

I literally go to bed and wake up with that particular song. :blink: Like, I always get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I'm telling you, befóre I really think about something, I héar the song.... :side: I must be a nutcase!!! And then of course when I wake up and so on....I often keeps me awake too, hard to fall (back) to sleep and such. :S

So again, no you're not alone! :P

fjeanmur wrote:

"You know you're obsessed" when you hear the songs you're working on in your head ALL NIGHT LONG and they stay in your head until you move onto the next song and then the next song is in your head all night long and so on, on so on and so on. :blink:

Does this happen to anyone else or am I among the most obsessed of the obsessed? Please tell me I'm not alone!!!

Jean

fjeanmur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:36 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Oh no no no, you're NOT alone.... :laugh:

I literally go to bed and wake up with that particular song. :blink: Like, I always get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I'm telling you, befóre I really think about something, I héar the song.... :side: I must be a nutcase!!! And then of course when I wake up and so on....I often keeps me awake too, hard to fall (back) to sleep and such. :S

So again, no you're not alone! :P

fjeanmur wrote:

Jean
Oh that's too funny, Vanessa. Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one because I was thinking that I was surely certifiable!

michelew

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Jean (I'm in the work coffee queue)

You're in good company. I have the same phenomena whenever I'm obsessing on a song. I often don't need a music player because my head is already playing something to the point where I'm moving my body to it and people are looking at me a little strangely. We call them earworms.

If you need more proof, here's an old thread on the subject. You can search on earworm if you need more convincing.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... ndpa-.html

If you're in the crazy boat then most of TG is with you along for the ride. You're an absolutely normal music junkie. :)

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Just lovin' this thread Shel! Any thread where you tell our master teacher to, "... absolutely get professional help" is a belly hurter! :woohoo:

But seriously, Neil, I hope things get better soon and that you already know that with hands and wrists you must be SO careful and not allow it to become chronic by coming back too soon. But you know that.

And obsessive? Me? Did someone say Moody Blues? :laugh: First time around learning Question I must have played it non-stop for several hours... in fact all day long! Ok, I did eat at some point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic