What would YOU do with $100,000 - with musical strings attached?

michelew

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:27 pm

My 'What's wrong with this picture?" Thread http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/6-a ... cture.html has got me thinking so the gazilliion things you could do with $100,000, so I thought I'd start this thread.

Your crazy rich uncle who loves music leaves you $100,000 with the VERY clear instructions that it MUST be spent musically. What would YOU do with it?

So no putting it on the mortgage or paying off your credit cards.

Give us the list of things you might spend it on. Imagine how much joy you could bring to other people's lives and your own.

I'm realize of course that taking 'in person' lessons from Neil and Vanessa is on everyone's list. :) :)

Shel

daryl

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Good question Michele! I think the 1st thing I'd do is buy some new strings. :) I'll have to think real hard about what to do with the rest of the money. How much time do I have to spend this money?

michelew

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:12 am

Hey Daryl,

Strings! Whoa there buddy don't go getting too crazy now. :P.

OK. You've got two months to put your list together and to allocate a budget to each type of item and five years to spend it. That should give you a heap of flexibility.

Off to Berklee perhaps? :) Maybe you'd like to come and see me in Sydney so we can go together to ... Well... too many ideas and I don't want to steal your thunder. So give us your ideas.

willem

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:34 am

The only thing I would do is looking if there's really a acoustic guitar that fit and play light on the hands and has a good sound in my ears,then I set it in a stand and look the whole day at it.. :laugh: B)

Willem

michelew

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:41 am

OK how about an alteruistic one from me to start with :

The UkeCrazy fun! Bus (or the UkeCrazy Fun! Cafe corner)

- Buy a bunch of good quality, but kid tough, concert ukuleles, maybe some weather proof ones even.
- Rent a van so you and/or a enthusiastic fun loving uke playing teacher can travel around to kindergartens and primary schools and community halls, nursing homes teaching kids, and the young at heart, how to play the uke.

Why? Well because the wheels on the bus really do go round and round, blue skies often shine on me and when you're happy and you know it you just gotta sing about it. :) Because it would be fun to spread some crazy uke fun around and get kids interested in playing music. :)

michelew

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:43 am

willem wrote:
The only thing I would do is looking if there's really a acoustic guitar that fit and play light on the hands and has a good sound in my ears,then I set it in a stand and look the whole day at it.. :laugh: B)

Willem
You'd LOOK at it? No playing? :) .... Are you suuuure? It's light and sounds good. ...

daryl

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:47 am

Since I have a hard time buying things (for myself and others) I'd probably set aside $10,000 for strings and capos and such (I really don't use picks) and then I'd scour YouTube for a few people who are really trying to make it in the music world and offer them zero interest "micro" loans and hope they succeed. If they do succeed and are able to pay the loan back, I'd do it again with someone else.

michelew

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:53 am

daryl wrote:
Since I have a hard time buying things (for myself and others) I'd probably set aside $10,000 for strings and capos and such (I really don't use picks) and then I'd scour YouTube for a few people who are really trying to make it in the music world and offer them zero interest "micro" loans and hope they succeed. If they do succeed and are able to pay the loan back, I'd do it again with someone else.
Nice! Good thinking! I LOVE it! :)

michelew

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:16 am

Rather than put up a massive list of my gazillion ideas, I might just put them up one or a couple at a time (perhaps things for me, then community spirited ideas); depending on how long people are responding or this thread.

So... I'd love to go to Luthier school and learn how to make and repair guitars, ukuleles and other stringed things. That would be SO cool. I'd need to pick up some more woodworking skills along the way. Oh, and get some decent tools...and access to a wood working space.

And while I'm doing the luthier thing, I'd love to visit Wayne Henderson's workshop and look over his shoulder for a while. He invited me to visit him if I'm ever near Rugby Virginia. It would be amazing to take him up on the offer. :)

I've been doing some simple adjustments on some cheap guitars I now own (the one dumped in the garbage room and one a friend gave me) and I really enjoy improving their action/playability and sound. It's fun and interesting stuff.

So - I'd love to learn how to make ukuleles. :)

michelew

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:20 am

The daryl wrote:
OK Daryl, in addition to your philanthropic idea, I challenge you to come up with something else that's for YOU. Let's say $25,000 worth of dream that's more than just consumables and sundries.

What would make your heart skip a beat and really enthuse you?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic