tunings,

willem

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:34 pm

You have two guitars! One you have always in standard tuning or a whole step down (which I do), the other one you tuned diffrent (never change,, its your second favorite tuning),, which tuning would that be be for you and why?

On this moment I tuned my second guitar to open G, I did put on a new set HD elixer and found it not nice in standard tuning, then I got an idea for myself to write "silent night" in open G and thats why I tuned to G,, maybe it brings me back to a few Rolling Stones songs too..

Willem

dtaylor

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Same for me Will, so many songs I need to brush up on in Open G.
I do practice a lot of different Nick Drake songs, so I'd like 10 guitars ready all the time :)

michelew

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:04 pm

I had one in Open G for quite a while, but this morning...

- my nylon is in dropped D - Naked as we came; getting back into some Jason Mraz and Shawn Colvin (but it's normally in standard)
- my steel string (Larrive) is in Wahine
- my salvaged Yamaha is in FADGAE - Sarah Jarosz -Run Away
- a little nylon parlor guitar that a friend picked up cheaply at auction (which was not in bery good shape - terrible action - much better now) is in standard.

My bass is standing in the corner looking very sad and neglected...

Tomorrow .... Hmmm could be a different story

daryl

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:49 pm

I too have one of my guitars in open-G but with a B in the bass. I put a capo on the 4th fret across 5 strings leaving the bass string open. I love the rich deep tone on that 6th string. There are some really nice doodles in that configuration.

BobR

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Willem,

I typically keep one in standard and the other in double dropped D because I like to try to play Neil Young.

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:59 pm

I leave one of mine in Open D, because there are four or five songs I have been working on in that tuning, and a couple that I like to work on in Open E which is easily achieved with a capo at the second fret. :)

jayswett

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:10 am

daryl wrote:
I too have one of my guitars in open-G but with a B in the bass. I put a capo on the 4th fret across 5 strings leaving the bass string open. I love the rich deep tone on that 6th string. There are some really nice doodles in that configuration.
Sounds complicated, but something worth learning. I have yet to reach an understanding about open tunings that would allow me to capo only part way across the neck. I will try to figure out why that configuration makes sense, once I have a guitar in my hands.

Regarding open D tuning, I too keep a guitar tuned to open D, as She Talks to Angels, Buckets of Rain, and Little Martha are played in open D.

For those who keep a guitar to Open G, remind me what songs are played in open G. Only Circle Game comes to mind at the moment.

daryl

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:31 am

jayswett wrote:
daryl wrote:
Sounds complicated, but something worth learning. I have yet to reach an understanding about open tunings that would allow me to capo only part way across the neck. I will try to figure out why that configuration makes sense, once I have a guitar in my hands.

Regarding open D tuning, I too keep a guitar tuned to open D, as She Talks to Angels, Buckets of Rain, and Little Martha are played in open D.

For those who keep a guitar to Open G, remind me what songs are played in open G. Only Circle Game comes to mind at the moment.
Jay, With the partial capo on the 4th fret my guitar is basically in open-B tuning (BBF#BD#F#). I've found some very sweet/interesting chord voicings in this tuning and with the nice deep bass string they sound really full. And you don't need to buy a partial capo. Just put the capo on from bottom-up rather than from the top-down.

TGNesh

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:35 am

On the top of my head: Jackson Browne's 'Running On Empty', with a C in the bass (bottom string), Dan Fogelberg's 'Longer'. And like Willem points out, a couple of Stones-songs.

jayswett wrote:

TGNesh

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:44 am

íf I have a guitar in another tuning, it wouldn't be longer than two weeks (usually for a lesson). So, that could be anything. I use dropped D a lot, but I just tune that up and down whenever I need it (for double dropped D as well). At the moment, everything is in standard tuning. Although I do have a couple of songs on my list which requires: EADGAD, CGGCGC, CGEGCC, so yeah at least one guitar will be tuned like that for a week or two and then I'll get into another one. :)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic