Guitar Acquisition Syndrome - Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

jimcjimc

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:51 pm

It is the season of giving, so I bought myself a new guitar. I have coveted Koa and the Taylor GSmini in Koa seemed like a good deal!

willem

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Thats looks like a very very nice beautiful guitar Jim,,

Willem

daryl

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Pretty guitar! Congratulations! Thanks for the look. You're playing is smoother every time you upload. Good for you.

I have one suggestion regarding your chord changing between the C and G7 at the end of "Nashville Cats"......instead of taking all your fingers off the fretboard when changing chords and then "re-applying" the fingers one at a time to finger the next chord.....why don't you try to "widen" the chord when going from the C to the G7 (simply move your index finger "down" from the 2nd string to the 1st string while simultaneously moving your 2nd and 3rd fingers "up" to the 5th and 6th strings). Same idea when going from the G7 to the C....don't lift all your fingers off and "build" the next chord (simply move your index finger "up" from the 1st string to the 2nd string and move your 2nd and 3rd fingers "down" to the 4th and 5th strings). Does that make sense? Perhaps Vanessa or Neil will chime in here and tell me to "take a hike" (or not).

Anyway, keep up the good work!

sbutler

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Good for you Jim. Great little guitar. Mine isn't as fancy as yours, but it's gotten me through two shoulder surgeries, when it hurt too bad to play my 814CE.

Scott

sandysue

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi Jim

Glad to see that you are still here. It seems like you kinda disappeared for a while. That's a beautiful new guitar and it sounds nice. That guitar buyer's syndrome seems to be highly contagious. It's nice to see you playing for us on video since you weren't there for all of those open mic's at IGC this year.

Sandy

jayswett

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Lovely guitar. No question. I haven't heard Nashville Cats in 20 years or more.

I wish I had the guts to pull the trigger and get a nice new taylor or martin.

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Looking good, Jim! You should have gotten that a few months ago and brought it to the IGC. We missed you this year.

I agree with Daryl, you are looking more and more comfortable with every upload. Keep up the great work.

Jason

jayswett

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Jim,
How does that Koa compare to Spruce?

I have a smaller folk style guitar with mahogany faceboard and I honestly can't tell much of a difference. Sure looks nice, though.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:58 am

Nice Jim! May you have many happy hours together!
chris

jimcjimc

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:33 am

Willem - Yes, it is beautiful. I have to admit the decision to buy it had a lo to do with how it looks. I have had a thing about Hawaiian music and Hawaiian culture and was pulled toward the idea of a koa guitar.

Daryl - Thanks for the tip! I will work on it. I tend to not think about those things and just brute force the chord changes.

Scott - an 800 series Taylor must sound great. I keep telling myself I won't spend big bucks on a guitar until I can play better, so the result is I have 3 lower priced Taylors.

Sandy - I have been around, just quietly, I suppose. We drove down highway 101 a few weeks ago - stopped at River Run winery in Aromas and bought a case of wine. I thought of you as we passed the turnoff to Hollister. Stay dry!

Jay - The problem with buying a Taylor is that you will get a glossy magazine called wood and Steel every 3 months that has the sole purpose of enticing Taylor owners to buy more guitars. I have been listening to and ripping my old albums - that was where I decided to learn Nashville Cats!

Jason - All about the timing. This koa gs-mini is a new limited edition - it wasn't available in September.

Jay - Still early, trying to figure out the sound - it sounds a bit different to my ear than my spruce guitars, but it is new, strings are new....

Chris - right back at you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic