Music goals for 2015

jayswett

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Too soon to query about musical goals for 2015? Probably not. I think it's worth documenting goals on paper (or electronically). Helps keep me accountable. Last year I had three goals:

1) Get at least one of my kids playing guitar (my 12 year old now taking lesons). Check
2) Learn Classical Gas. Failure
3) Sing at open mic. Check.

So I was 2 for 3 this year.

As for 2015, let's do this:
1) learn scales and leads
2) Learn Classical Gas (I'll start earlier this time)
3) Do a full solo set (3 songs) at open mic

That's a good start.
Hope everyone has a great holiday.
Jay

michelew

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:09 pm

I don't think its too early. They are worthy goals to be sure.

I remember I had a long list last time we did this... And I don't think I'll get to cross much out. But I did:
- make it to the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop where I met up with a group of sweet TGs buddies and had a great week of musical fun
- My first open-mic-esque performance (Sarah Jarosz - Little Song), by myself in front of more than 100 people, singing and playing the guitar. It was dead scary but also a big accomplishment for me - I was elated afterwards

I'm not sure that these were even on my list.

I'll go look for it.

Classic Gas! That's a Biiiiiiiiiig goal. I'm sure you'll knock it for six (cricket analogy). :)

Edit - I found the long list I was referring to (Gosh I'm verbous!!!) :) The last time I did this was 2013. Here's one I feel I did achieve.

"make progress in my fear of playing in front of people." The camp and visiting Den and friends in Seattle helped me in a major way there.

Goals for 2015

- find a way to play with people semi-regularly (I haven't succeeded in getting to the local ukuleke group yet - but I will)

- continue to make progress with A-shape barre chords and all barres, including hinge and partial barre

- build a repertoire (really do it this time)

- finish learning my favourite Jason Mraz numbers for said repertoire .... Finally :)

- have fun. :)

willem

Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:00 pm

First of all guitarplaying is pure an hobby and keep it only under friends and maybe a party evening with the choir.

I think I go in 2015 more for listening whats going on in a song, dynamics and such and try to get more the feel of it, playing with the right feel, also work more on the timing. Hope it will bring me a lot.

I sure go through my binders and make a new list.

On this moment there are really two songs where I work on every day

Chicago by DB ( such a fun tune and song)
Fishing blues,,, ( yes Sandy) great for finger independents

Happy holidays.

Willem

sandysue

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Willem

That's great that you're learning Fishing Blues. I hope you post it for us once you get it into good shape. :) :) :)

fjeanmur

Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Wouldn't it be great if we could place our New Year resolutions/goals on a thread like this and then have it "resurrected" at the end of the next year! Then we could look back to see what we hoped to accomplish and know if we came close. I like the idea!

Jean

michelew

Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:54 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if we could place our New Year resolutions/goals on a thread like this and then have it "resurrected" at the end of the next year! Then we could look back to see what we hoped to accomplish and know if we came close. I like the idea!

Jean
Jean abracadabra I grant you your wish. You may now start a new thread, list your New Year's resolutions and then I will allow you to look it up at the end of the year.

I'm so sweet to you. :P don't say I never give ya nothin' (well 'cause it ain't no proper English like) :)

M

In fact...maybe I'll get it started for you. :)

willem

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:48 am

willem wrote:
First of all guitarplaying is pure an hobby and keep it only under friends and maybe a party evening with the choir.

I think I go in 2015 more for listening whats going on in a song, dynamics and such and try to get more the feel of it, playing with the right feel, also work more on the timing. Hope it will bring me a lot.

I sure go through my binders and make a new list.

On this moment there are really two songs where I work on every day

Chicago by DB ( such a fun tune and song)
Fishing blues,,, ( yes Sandy) great for finger independents

Happy holidays.

Willem
I have to add one more song for the coming three months its "Old man" by Neil Young, I will work on it everyday with also the other two..

Willem

fjeanmur

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Jean abracadabra I grant you your wish. You may now start a new thread, list your New Year's resolutions and then I will allow you to look it up at the end of the year.

I'm so sweet to you. :P don't say I never give ya nothin' (well 'cause it ain't no proper English like) :)

M

In fact...maybe I'll get it started for you. :)[/quote]

Hey Michelle,

I guess I wasn't too clear with what I meant. I was thinking this thread which then could be brought back next year to see if we did what we set out to do.

As for me, I have the best of intentions to get around to the ear training and the Guitar Geometry, but most times I can't fit it in. So maybe that's what I'll throw in. Guitar Geometry or ear training. Which one do you think is more important?

michelew

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:00 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
michelew wrote:

M

In fact...maybe I'll get it started for you. :)
Hey Michelle,

I guess I wasn't too clear with what I meant. I was thinking this thread which then could be brought back next year to see if we did what we set out to do.

As for me, I have the best of intentions to get around to the ear training and the Guitar Geometry, but most times I can't fit it in. So maybe that's what I'll throw in. Guitar Geometry or ear training. Which one do you think is more important?
Hey Jean, that was a total misunderstanding on my part to be sure. Sorry for that. Serves me right for trying to be funny, it's really not my forte. :) I guess I'll need to cough up some resolutions then. :) aahhhh! And genuinely try to achieve them. :) oh... NO!

Your goals are good ones. I absolutely should get into ear training and more fretboard geometry. I have no idea which one is more important, both equally I'm guessing. But of course it depends where you are on the spectrum of learning each one. It sounds like a question for Neil or Ness. Thanks for sharing.

M

unclewalt

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic