What is the name of the chord....

jayswett

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for taking the time to explain those concepts. Time to buckle down and really take some time with this. The notion that one can become a really good guitarist without understanding these ideas is probably flawed.

thereshopeyet

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:55 pm

:ohmy:

michelew

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:33 pm

jayswett wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to explain those concepts. Time to buckle down and really take some time with this. The notion that one can become a really good guitarist without understanding these ideas is probably flawed.
Hi Jay,

If you have an iPad there are some really good apps that will take you through music theory step by step and give you exercises to really practice your understanding of chord and scale construction along the way. One I found particular good is musicopolous

Music Theory and Practice by Musicopoulos by SpartanApps
https://appsto.re/au/6V_bt.i

You can use either a piano keyboard or a guitar fretboard to answer each practice exercise (on your iPad). I really like the way it builds and that you can hear your answers as you're giving them. It has sight reading exercises too. It's definitely worth checking out. Actually, I'd like them to create the next edition of this app, as in the next level of theory. It stops a little too soon for my liking. I might start it again from scratch actually. There's always stuff that I've forgotten and need reminding of.

If you don't have an iPad, I'm sure you can get similar programs for other platforms.

Good luck with your music theory journey. It feels good when bits of the puzzle you know start resolving into a familiar picture. Enjoy.

M

jayswett

Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:13 am

I did have a look at this and downloaded it. Haven't used it yet, but will check it out over the weekend. Thanks for the advice. I also downloaded a cheap app called Fret Tester, which also got good reviews.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic