What is the name of the chord....

daryl

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:42 pm

...that is fingered like an A7 in the 1st position that has a Bb in the bass (x12020 or x1202x)? I'm guessing one could call it A7/Bb but that just seems wrong. Any guesses? Thanks.

tombo1230

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:19 pm

daryl wrote:
...that is fingered like an A7 in the 1st position that has a Bb in the bass (x12020 or x1202x)? I'm guessing one could call it A7/Bb but that just seems wrong. Any guesses? Thanks.

A# Dim7 or Bb Dim7 is what x12020 and x1202x for that matter, comes up as on Guitar pro.
Actually there are quite a few names in the list, but these are at the top of the list and make most sense to me anyway.

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:50 pm

daryl wrote:
Daryl:

I come up with the notes: Bb - E - G - C# - E.......

Running through some scales:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bb: Bb - C - D - Eb - F - G - A

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E: E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D#

I would probably go with the E and say that I have a second inversion E chord with a flat 3rd, flat 5th and a dbl flatted 7th............ Edim7/Bb????

What other chords are being played with it, because the chord that Tom references would work as well.... root, flat 3rd, flat5th and a dbl flatted 7th....Bbdim7???

J

mark

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:52 pm

yes I would call it A#Dim7 as well.
It's often used in acoustic blues songs in the key of E - going from A7 to A#Dim7 and then back to E.

willem

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:02 pm

daryl wrote:
Google said Bbdim7 or A#dim7 ,, x1202x

tombo1230

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
[

I would probably go with the E and say that I have a second inversion E chord with a flat 3rd, flat 5th and a 6th............ Edim6/Bb????

What other chords are being played with it, because the chord that Tom references would work as well.... root, flat 3rd, flat5th and a 6th....Bbdim6???

J
Edim7 Bb

Tom N.

daryl

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:14 am

Thanks all!

Mark, that's exactly what I was playing A7 to the diminished chord back to E.

Since I was playing in the key of E I think it's probably appropriate to call it an Edim7th chord.

Like you all said, because the notes of the chord are E G Bb Db it could be called by 6 different names (Edim7, Gdim7, Bbdim7 or A#dim7, Dbdim7 or C#dim7). Weird huh? I find diminished chords quite a strange beast.

Thank you all for setting me straight.

jayswett

Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:40 am

Wow. This conversation is way over my head, and reminds me that I really need to learn this sort of thing. Can someone get me started and first tell me what "dim" means. I know it refers to a diminshed chord, but what exactly does that mean. Same thing for "sus".

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to take the time to help me out. I suspect I am not the only one in the dark on these concepts.

daryl

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:15 am

Jay, I think we are gonna have to wait until the holidays are over because Neil and Vanessa are taking a couple weeks off. But in the meantime, this is my limited understanding of diminished chords:

Given the 12 half-steps in an octave: C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C

Diminished chords are stacks of minor thirds. One can build a dimished seventh chord by starting at any note and then counting up 3 notes and then counting up 3 notes and then counting up 3 notes. For example C Eb Gb A and then notice if you start at Eb you'll get the same notes: Eb Gb A C and if you start at Gb the same thing happens: Gb A C Eb and the same thing starting with the A.

I should have been able to answer my own question (at the start of this thread) if I had taken the time to actually analyze the notes of the chord I was playing.

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:12 am

jayswett wrote:
Wow. This conversation is way over my head, and reminds me that I really need to learn this sort of thing. Can someone get me started and first tell me what "dim" means. I know it refers to a diminshed chord, but what exactly does that mean. Same thing for "sus".

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to take the time to help me out. I suspect I am not the only one in the dark on these concepts.
Jay:

In short, chords are usually made up of three notes. A root, 3rd and 5th. If you flat the 3rd, you get the minor. If you flat the 3rd and the 5th, you get a diminished.

I was going to write out a bunch of notes and chords, but as I was typing, I realized that I would just confuse matters with my lack of eloquence...

A good exercise is to write out all of the major scales (one for each of the 12 notes). Just make sure to use each letter only once in each scale. Use flats and sharps to make this happen. Major scale being W - W - H - W - W - W - H (W is whole step, H is half step). C is always the easiest, because there are no sharps or flats.

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

Take the root, 3rd and 5th to get the I chord, take the 2nd, 4th and 6th to get the ii chord, and so on. Look at the relationship (distances between the notes). Those major thirds and minor thirds are what give us the qualities of the chord. I think the genius series probably covers it MUCH better than I am trying to say... :P

I learned a lot from doing this when I was starting out. From the simple triad chords, I then added the 7ths in and saw how those effected the qualities. I found it all quite helpful, but it is probably different for everyone. ;)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic