The Good Life S.O.S

fjeanmur

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Hey gang!

I love the recent attention to practicing and focusing only on what is not coming along well. Neil's woes with his pieces and Vanessa's most recent lesson both spoke to this issue. So . . . with winter storm Juno looming over the East Coast and threatening to bury us for the next couple of days, I thought I was time to post this question:

The Good Life, p. 2, second line, first measure: in the pull off from A to G#, I can't seem to anchor the third finger to do the pull off with the fourth successfully. In other words, in pulling off the fourth finger from the A, the third finger gets pulled off the G# as well. Everything else on the page is coming along nicely.

Is anyone else working on this and has some trick? Is it giving anyone else trouble as well?

S.O.S!!!

daryl

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Can you upload a video of the troublesome measure? Perhaps if we can see what you are doing someone might have a suggestion for you.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Jean

I haven't tried this tune but took a look because it's one I'm interested in.

Have you tried isolating the pull off to just two fingers the 3rd and 4th fingers.
Do the pull off for as long as you can have a rest and repeat.
I also apply pressure with the third finger to strengthen it as I do the pull off.

Then, after a while, try it with three fingers by adding the first finger on S4 F2.
The rest ( a few minutes) in between practice repetitions, is for me, just as important as the repetitions.

There's probably a better way, hopefully Neil or Vanessa will share some tips.

Dermot

Click T Enlarge Image

fjeanmur

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Dermot,

How do you manage these graphics? They are amazing!

You may be on to something because pulling off with just the fourth to the third makes things worse, meaning that having the first finger on the A is serving to stabilize my hand. (Well at least a little.). Pulling off from any finger to the first is easy; it's from the others that are difficult.

You should have a go at the piece if you're interested because it's been fun, but the last line of the second page, very challenging for me. But that pull off is the only thing that's just not getting better.

Thanks for the insight. :)

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Jean Wrote:
Pulling off from any finger to the first is easy; it's from the others that are difficult.
I found that if I persevered with the two notes ( 4 to 3 here for you), it might feel impossible for you
but, just do it really slowly as many times as you can. It doesn't even matter if you sound the pull off note at first.
The tip of the fingers gets sore (thin strings) untill the callouses build but it does get easier.
If you can't do anymore because of some soreness, the rest makes all the difference too.
You'll be surprised at the improvement the following day or two.
You will then find it easier with other notes fingered.
Of course, what works for me may not for you Jean.

I will have a go at the tune as it's brilliant.
Thanks for the reminder.

Dermot

TGNeil

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:53 am

Hi Jean,

Dermot's advice is good. I might just emphasize to press down a little harder with your 3rd finger than normal as you pull-off you 4th. This kind of independence is particularly more difficult with those fingers than any others. Good hand position is important too, making sure you fingers are nicely arched, not touching the bottom of the neck. Also be sure to pull your 4th finger down, toward the floor, essentially plucking the string with your left hand. Maybe pull-offs should really be called pluck-offs... on second thought, maybe not such a good idea.

Neil

willem

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:24 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Jean,

Maybe pull-offs should really be called [strike]pluck-offs[/strike].... on second thought, maybe not such a good idea.

Neil
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)

fjeanmur

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:18 pm

willem wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hi Jean,

Maybe pull-offs should really be called [strike]pluck-offs[/strike].... on second thought, maybe not such a good idea.

Neil
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)
It's OK Neil,

We know what you mean. I thought what Dermot said sounded pretty solid and then it got me thinking about your lessons about pluck . . . no . . . pull offs that I haven't see in a while. And then there is your advice. Well . . . The snow is coming down, the schools are closed tomorrow, they're predicting 24-30 inches so I'm not going anywhere. I'll have lots of time to practice.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic