Does anyone have a recommendation for a good music notation app for iPad or Mac?

michelew

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi people,

Does anyone have a music notation app for iPad that they'd recommend for jotting down piano music? I have GPro which obviously works well for stringed instruments, but it seems to only allow treble clef (or bass clef) and tab. I don't think it does both treble and bass clef too (though I haven't really used it for music notation much so I could be wrong there). I expect Neil, Vanessa and other experienced GPro users might jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

I've come across a couple of possibilities; Notation, which is expensive and looks like it's for writing full-blown scores; Prelude, which I'm not happy with so far (most likely a user issue though).

I'll keep searching the web. But I thought I'd check with people I know and trust.

What do you use? Would you recommend it? .... Of course I could just resort to writing it on paper. But, paper gets lost....

Yes I have posted this question on Totally Keyboards, but it's pretty quiet over there at the moment, so I'm not expecting to be showered with suggestions anytime soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Happy playing.

Michele

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:08 am

Hi Michele,

I've got neither an IPad nor a Mac, just this Blackberry Playbook I may be the last surviving human holding on to ...

Nonetheless, if I may be so bold ... I'm sure you know I only want to be helpful ;)

So why not ditch that short-lived digital crap ? Here's a proven approach to music notation that can surely be adapted to tab.

Oh, no need to thank me.

michelew

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:15 am

Haha! :D :P VERY helpful. I couldn't find my stone tablets and stone chisel or my papyrus. No need to worry about about any of that now that I have your high tech solution.

Oh and the added bonus is a get to learn a new skill of course.

Ahhhh Pierre you keep my smirking. :)

Incredible workmanship. Gosh what happens if you're almost finished and you notice you've make a big boo boo and part of it sounds terrible??

I'm amazing they can make a profit given the time it takes to make s single sheet.

Mesmerising.

M

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:09 am

michelew wrote:
Gosh what happens if you're almost finished and you notice you've make a big boo boo and part of it sounds terrible?
Hehe ... check solution starting at 7min50sec into the video ... pounding molecules instead of bytes.

And all this is just a snide sideshow, of course.

What's important is that you keep pushing for info, and keep busting barriers. That's just you, Michele. Well and good.

Pierre

michelew

Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:18 am

Yes correcting one or two noted is one thing, what if he looses focus and just engraves the wrong four bars. But then ... He doesn't make mistakes. :)

Incredible work.

jayswett

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:52 am

Sorry Michele, I can't help you on this issue, but I did want to mention that your Musicopolis recommendation from several months ago was spot on. I also came across another useful app called Fret-tester, which is a fun way to learn the notes on the fretboard.

Good luck on your current quest.
Jay

Music Junkie

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:38 am

Shel:

Have you tried using a multi-track in GP? If you look toward the bottom of GP, you will see the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4, followed by a little notation symbol. You can input your treble in #1, and then your bass in #2, then hit the notation symbol and it will combine them.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for though..

Other than that, I don't know of any. I have not really looked for any though...

Good luck!

michelew

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:16 pm

jayswett wrote:
Sorry Michele, I can't help you on this issue, but I did want to mention that your Musicopolis recommendation from several months ago was spot on. I also came across another useful app called Fret-tester, which is a fun way to learn the notes on the fretboard.

Good luck on your current quest.
Jay
That's nice to hear Jay. Actually I should go back and work through it again myself.

I have a few fretboard learning ones, ones for the bass too. The FBA series are quite good.

Have fun and thanks. :)

M

michelew

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Shel:

Have you tried using a multi-track in GP? If you look toward the bottom of GP, you will see the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4, followed by a little notation symbol. You can input your treble in #1, and then your bass in #2, then hit the notation symbol and it will combine them.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for though..

Other than that, I don't know of any. I have not really looked for any though...

Good luck!
Thanks MJ. I hadn't thought of putting it in as a separate instrument. That makes sense.

I started using a new one called Score Creator, which looks like it might be Ok and is fairly intuitive. But, GEESH it takes a long time to get far (I'm sure my speed will improve the more I use it). And it is faster than engraving it into metal sheeting. :)

Thanks for the advice. I haven't used GPro for notation really, so it's good to get some tips.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic