PROGRESS LOG

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:47 am

Progress log

Hi folks. I was wondering if it may be an idea to exchange experiences on the progress we are making here at TG. Kind of logging our progress. We used to have a blog function but no one uses it and it may not be there any more and anyway the forum is a better place. Not sure if we need a special topic heading (I put this under Off-Topic which it certainly is not :-)) for this or if this new thread will suffice but here goes, I’ll make a start.

It has been a mixed year for me with less energy available for playing guitar but it has also been fun to get to know my new BSG D27F Rosewood. I have finally learned to play with a pick which gives an immeasurably better sound than my fingers, just sometimes have difficulty with the upstrokes on faster strums, but I’m getting there. I have not owned a steel six-string for 20 years so it has been a dream to have such a beautiful guitar to play. I also moved to A=432 tuning away from the standard A=440 tuning and I am pretty much going to stay with it except when I have to re-tune to play with a record or with others. It is about 33 cents lower in pitch which is close to a half step so it helps in the singing of more and more songs as my voice is not getting any younger, so the lower keys are easier!

I have spent a lot of time in alternate tunings such as open C, open D and dropped D as well as other Justin Hayward tunings. Interestingly, it is easier to play in these tunings as guitarists tend make playing easier with these tunes not more difficult. And the sounds are wonderful too! I have posted a few songs such as New Horizons and Raining on the Rock. I would like to post more but energy levels have been low and time short. Still, I have bought a Roland AC60 acoustic amp which is pretty much the amp you want to have with its chorus and reverb and perfect stereo sound. Been loving using it and the extra possibilities it gives me for an improved and amplified sound. This is especially good for singing into a mic, a completely different experience to no-mic singing. You can do more and you sound better.

I have not made any progress on Eye in the Sky but I will do eventually and I will post it when its ready. There’s a whole list of songs I’d love to progress on including Eddie Vedder’s Guaranteed and Breathe as well as Seal’s Kiss from a Rose, so I will be learning a lot from Ness.

A song I pretty much have down is Gypsy (Moody Blues) and I want to video that soon as it is a very dynamic song to play and sing but quite difficult for me to play without error and sing in a high register at the same time…. a bit Like Question, both guitar and vocals require high energy and concentration!

Anyway, that’s where I am at now after 5 wonderful years of TG! How about you?

Chris

TGNesh

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 pm

Great topic Chris! I need to think it over though.

I'll be back! ;)

Ness

Edit: Nice to have some quality time together too! :P

sandysue

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Chris

Great Idea, I loved reading about what you are doing with your guitar playing.

I've been working on Rhiannon, Four strong winds, Vincent, and Angel in the past few months. It takes me a long time to learn new songs, especially if there is any singing involved. Neil 's been helping me figure out the melodies with a little ear training practice , and then creating a solo version of the song. I try to pick songs that I really like, so that I will want to figure them out and practice. Sometimes I don't feel like practicing so I don't.

I have pretty bad stage fright, so when I play at open mic or play for others, my brain shuts down, and I shake all over like a terrified chihuahua in the vet's office. I hate that but I keep trying anyway. As you know, sometimes I video what I'm working on and put it on Facebook, so I can talk about it with everyone. If I learn to play something halfway decently then I video myself, and put it on my you tube channel and pretend that Im actually performing for someone. It's a fun game and it gives me a reason to learn new songs.

Sandy

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:38 am

Nice to hear about you Sandy. Yeah, I used to have a great fear of performing. Even today, my mind blacks out a bit when I have play in front of people. My trick is to play with and not for them. I really don't like to be up on stage (as I feel pressure to deliver) but I do like having people around me in a circle to play with or for if its more like a sing-a-long, even if I'm the only one doing anything.

Looking forward to hearing from Vanessa (seeing as she spends so much time in my bedroom! :laugh: )... and everyone else!

crieniecat

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 am

Great idea Chris! As a non guitar player, (what am I doing here? lol) obviously I wont be posting any progress, but love to read all about the others.
Many of you I've had the pleasure of meeting with at the IGC, but met or not, it's always very inspirational to learn more about others.

Enjoy your weekend,
Corina.

fjeanmur

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:09 am

Hey Chris and the gang!

It's about time we got another good chance to chime in on a topic up on the Forum.

Lately I've been working on the first three parts of Neil's The Good Life. They're not coming along badly (for me, at least). I started the fourth part, but then got distracted with "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring." I'm just playing the first four measures over and over because they are quite challenging, but not as challenging if I could just keep my eyes on the music. It's when I have to "peek" to see where I am that I get confused. (A whole other Forum question.). But I'm almost ready to move on to the last part of The Good Life or to choose something new.

I love Vanessa's lessons, but as many of you know, I don't even attempt to sing so I get bored strumming through songs that are meant to be sung. I do play through things like "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" and "Sister Golden Hair" from time to time because getting in and out of barre chords can still be a bit bumpy once in a while. (But, I didn't know how to play them when I joined two and a half years ago, so I guess that's progress. Thanks, Neil!)

I'm also ready to take the plunge and maybe join a local group of acoustic players just for the experience of playing with others. But Sandy, I'm with you. No open mics for me! Just put me in a corner in the back somewhere and I will be fine.

That's it for me. I'm looking forward to see what others are up to.

Jean

sandysue

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:23 am

Hi Chris and Jean, and Corina

At IGC we had the opportunity to play at open mic with other people too. I played a song with Bart, and with Mark and Tom, and even with Dave N. That was so much fun and I was not nearly as afraid. You're right, the secret is to play with other people when ever you can.

Sandy

BobR

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Right now I am attempting a lot of Neil Young songs, from After the Gold Rush, The Loner,
Dreamin Man, Old Man, Sugar Mountain, Long may you run, ROckin in the Free World, On the Way Home ...
I guess I like Neil Young.
I have also been trying Dawes - Times Spent in Los Angeles. And I am also doing some CCR. I have been playing
Down by the Water by the Decemberist and trying to play the harmonic part at the same time.
I thought singing and playing the guitar was difficult.

Since joining TG I have learned so many songs and there
are so many here ( which is a GREAT thing)I have trouble keeping focused.
I see something new and want to try it. That's it for now. Time to practice

Bob

TGNesh

Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:50 pm

Well I've thought it through, still not very easy to answer though. :S

I'm now a member of TG for more than 4 and a half years, including almost (next month) two years of teaching.

My progress in general......I think I've grown from a young teacher to a more experienced and very confident teacher....there you have it.

Before TG, as a teacher, I kinda thought I knew what I was talking about, but how could I be sure without any feedback?! To me, Neil is still the best teacher ever, that's what brought me to the site in the first place. From there, I've translated as much as I could digest of the way he teaches into my own teaching style, which actually happened very naturally. It wasn't a very conscious process, but looking back I can see it....and now, I réally feel/am sure that I know what I am talking about, since I got the best teacher/mentor ever to back it up. :P

As a guitar player, I of course learned a whóle bunch of songs, more theory, a few more techniques and such. At the moment I feel like if I set my mind on something, a song that I want to play, that with enough work, I'll be able to get it down.

As a TG-teacher, on camera, I think I've certainly loosened up ever since my first lesson. I thought I was already 'me' back then (I was!), but I can see now that it took a little while still to become 'me' even more. Funny enough and coincedentally enough, that 'me' is very similar to Neil, in real life as well as on camera. We're both quite comfortable talking (in real life too), looking at the camera and to act natural, to just be ourselves and talk about this thing that we love, the guitar.

Anyway, all in all, it's just amazing how things have turned out and how TG and I found each other and how Neil and I complement each other so well. I can certainly say that TG has changed my life in a major way. It turned me into directions and brought me to places that I, for the life out of me, had never thought of. To me, working with a teacher to who I look up to so much, and to be able to teach with him here at TG and IGC is still......AWESOME!! :cheer: ;)

Alright, there you have it..... B) Would you say that i've made some progress??! :P

Ness

davidrfinn99165

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Ness, i only joined a year ago.... as a result i missed your early lessons and so it is hard for me to comment on progress. You look a natural and i just assumed you were in charge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic