PROGRESS LOG

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Well I've been a TG member since time immemorial ... (no doubt Chris will provide a suitable comment on that lol) Recently guitar has taken a back seat :( I'm even selling my Epiphone Riviera semi as I no longer play it. I've been distracted with the new toy ... Can Am bike, job and doing renovations to house. However, I've certainly improved over the time I've been here, but still have loads to learn. When I do get the chance I've been looking at 'Kiss from a rose' and going back to some old slide guitar favourites mostly off Eric Claptons's Unplugged album and also an acoustic version of SRV 'Life by the drop' and when I get really enthused I go over the Greg Lakes lessons on the site. Just reading this though might help in getting me back into things a bit more.

cheers team

michelew

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:13 am

Nice idea Chris.

I've been enjoying reading everyone's response. Sounds like you've got the pick thing happening;cool and good for you.

I've been wondering how to answer this question. I've made heaps of progress since I joined TG. Over that time, I've learned a bunch of techniques, learned and recorded some great songs and even made significant progress on some things that were impossible once, like double barres. But, recently, I actually feel like I've lost progress because I'm not playing the guitar very much. At best I'm maintaining a few songs and I'm starting Ness' weekly offering; I get it down to various extents before the next tempting morsel comes along depending on the difficulty.

While I've been at TG, I've also tried my hand at the uke, the bass and the keyboard all inspired by the lessons, the forum and impressive multi-instrumentalists like Ness. Actually, one of the reasons I'm not playing much guitar at the moment (besides having less free time) is that I'm focusing on learning the piano. I'm loving it actually. It's helping me to:
- consolidate my music theory,
- improve my reading music skills (bass clef in particular, which is kicking my arse, but starting to come together),
- Really know notes in the chords I'm playing and inversions in particular; with the guitar I often play by chord name and pattern.

Playing piano is SO cool. So much to learn though. :)

So in one way my guitar progress had stalled and in another I'm progressing in ways which I think will help my guitar playing in the long-run. Oh and did I mention I'm having fun. :)

BTW Ness, I've been learning from your video lessons since before you started to teach at TG (officially). You may have become more at ease in front of the camera, but your teaching has been wonderful for a long time.

Shel

sandysue

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Michele

I think music is music, and it's nice to be able to play more than one instrument. It doesn't mean that you need to give up on your guitar. Whatever you learn on the piano will ultimately help you with your guitar playing in some way. Most of us have busy lives, so we are not always able to focus on our passion for music. Sometimes we have to make a living, raise kids, be a good spouse, or whatever. I just noticed that if you really like playing the guitar, you'll gravitate back to it at some point.

I took guitar lessons when I was a twenty something year old, and then didn't play at all for over 25 years. I still wish that I would have kept up with it, even just a little bit, so I wouldn't have to start back at the beginning again. Woulda, coulda, shoulda :)

Sandy

willem

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Chris, I worked 5 weeks very hard on two new for me songs (only playing), old man and you got to hide your love away, we had it together and performed it for 60 choir members and they were screaming an yelling, we started of with heart of gold and norwegian wood, that went well but then I blew the other two, i was playing bad, the singer started here and there to early and I at to keep up with him, we faked us thru those two songs, I sure progressed since TG but not in front of 60 (friendly) choir members but the huge compliments they gave were awesome,, then later on the evening the keyboard player asked me for playing something together I gave him the chord progression from teach your childeren en that went well, also the 60 choir friends sang with us, it was an awesome evening with and without mistakes and pressure shakes,,

Willem

TGNesh

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Thanks David, that's really good to hear! :)

I think I started out natural and as myself enough. I think I also came across that way, but I of course still grew from there. I can see it in Neil's early videos as well. I guess it takes a little bit of time and experience to become réally yourself in front of a camera, even when you think you're already acting natural. ;)

As far as teaching, I've always felt confident enough (I obviously had/have the best teacher/mentor, who never would've hired me if he didn't think i was capable of delivering quality video-lessons :) ), but the more experienced you get, the more it grows. A logical process I suppose. Anyway, in a month, I'll be celebrating my two years of teaching here at TG! :cheer: How time flies!

Ness

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
Hi Ness, i only joined a year ago.... as a result i missed your early lessons and so it is hard for me to comment on progress. You look a natural and i just assumed you were in charge.

TGNesh

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Well I'm definitely very glad for that Shel!! :cheer:

And I'm also glad that i added to your journey to try out other instruments! :) The piano is of course a fantastic instrument to play, which will definitely teach you more about the guitar too, as you're already experiencing.

Oh and it's of course awesome that you're having fun!!! :woohoo: :P

Ness

michelew wrote:

BTW Ness, I've been learning from your video lessons since before you started to teach at TG (officially). You may have become more at ease in front of the camera, but your teaching has been wonderful for a long time.

Shel

auntlynnie

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:50 pm

I thought that this thread was worth revisiting.

My guitar playing has definitely improved since joining TG. From the wealth of offerings, I've learned songs that I've always wanted to and more importantly, I found a focus for my playing - Acoustic Blues, Ragtime and fingerpicking instrumentals. Finding a focus has helped so much - of course I love listening to classic rock, but I've learned that that's not what I'm drawn to play. Recognizing this means that I'm not spending time playing stuff that I'm not really drawn to play (I still watch many of the lessons to see what's going on in the songs and for Neil's wonderful Classic Rock history lessons!). But there's so much more on TG than the classic rock lessons that drew me in - I've found lessons on Country Blues, early Acoustic Blues like Blind Blake, and Rev. Gary Davis - and I've probably only scratched the surface.

I've also noticed something interesting over the past three years (I've been on TG for maybe 4 years). For the last three summers, in the months leading up to Guitar Camp, I've probably doubled or tripled my practice time. The songs I was working on certainly improved with all that practice. But I've noticed a dramatic improvement in the weeks and months after camp, not only in my playing, but specifically in my ability to learn new pieces. For example, I had worked on The Good Life (A Ragtime Excursion) about six months ago. At that time I had worked on Part I, only somewhat successfully. I took one look at Part II and decided to shelve it. Fast forward to now and I worked on Part I for a few days, with quite a bit of success, and Part II, though much harder is coming along and looking far more do-able than it seemed previously.

I can only think that all that practice is paying off. Also seeing other students post videos of themselves playing these pieces (or seeing performances at camp) helps - it somehow makes it look possible when a student learns and performs a song from a lesson.

Another skill that is beginning to improve is taking a song for which I know the chords, and then working the melody into the fingerpicking. This started just before camp when Neil played Puff the Magic Dragon on the Friday Wrap-up. I watched him play the chords, started playing it, and within a couple of days I could play a recognizable fingerpicked version (this is something that has been quite a challenge in the past). Luckily he began posting a lesson a week later, so I'm continuing to work on that one. I've also worked out a fingerpicking version of Tom Paxton's "Bottle of Wine", by ear.

Now, if I can only stay motivated and continue practicing this much.......

Lynn

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Nice to hear of your learning experiences Lynn.... keep it up!

michelew

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:22 am

Lynn, it's interesting hearing what's working for you. It really is important to find the things that motivate you.

I'm currently finding that collaborating with David is motivating me to put things I've learned into action, relearn things I've forgotten and to just try out new things. It's just plain fun too of course.

You're right about the wealth of info on TG.

Thanks for sharing.

Shel

auntlynnie

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 am

Michele,
We are having a blast seeing and hearing what you and David are putting together!
Fantastic!
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic