Which strings do you use, when? AND Do you mix string sets? Poll included.

willem

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:13 pm

I really like the new elixer HD set on my mahogany little (body) guitar but only with a plectrum,, not happy when I fingerpick and I should experiment with light strings for fingerpicking

Rock on
B)

davidrfinn99165

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Haha Ness, a new guitar, why not? I went through a phase of buying new guitars rather than changing strings, those days are gone....

I voted different strings for different guitars - it is fun to try something new occasionally. 11s as standard for me, I tried a very light Newtone set a while ago on an OM style guitar, must give that a go again.

dennisg

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:29 pm

If what you're asking is if I ever take one or more strings from a set and replace them with strings from another set, then the answer is no. Never. And if you're asking if I use the same brand and gauge strings for all my guitars, the answer is also no.

Through trial and error, I've been able to find the tone I'm looking for by using a number of different string types, and I've found that each guitar seems to want something different. For example, my Taylor 814 needs to have the low E string beefed up a bit, so I use DR Rare mediums, which are really lights with a slightly fatter low E string (54 vs. 53). The Taylor grand concert performs best with D'Addario light phosphor bronzes, while the Goodall grand concert uses D'Addario light 80/20s. The Taylor GS Mini typically uses Elixir medium phosphor bronzes. I'm not a fan of Elixir strings, due to their 3-hour break-in period, and use them on the Mini only because I get them for free at Taylor road shows.

Max

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Looks like I'm the only Dean Markley fan so far.

Dean Markley Vintage Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, medium lights, 12-54 for my homemade guitar.
This string is made of 85% Copper, 15% Zinc.

Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Phos Acoustic Guitar Strings, 12-54, medium lights, for my Taylor 912ce, although I think these are being replaced by Dean Markley Helix HD Phosphor Bronze Elliptical Wound Strings. The "Vintage Bronze" strings are just a bit to bright for the Taylor.

Max

michelew

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:20 pm

dennisg wrote:
If what you're asking is if I ever take one or more strings from a set and replace them with strings from another set, then the answer is no. Never. And if you're asking if I use the same brand and gauge strings for all my guitars, the answer is also no.

Through trial and error, I've been able to find the tone I'm looking for by using a number of different string types, and I've found that each guitar seems to want something different. For example, my Taylor 814 needs to have the low E string beefed up a bit, so I use DR Rare mediums, which are really lights with a slightly fatter low E string (54 vs. 53). The Taylor grand concert performs best with D'Addario light phosphor bronzes, while the Goodall grand concert uses D'Addario light 80/20s. The Taylor GS Mini typically uses Elixir medium phosphor bronzes. I'm not a fan of Elixir strings, due to their 3-hour break-in period, and use them on the Mini only because I get them for free at Taylor road shows.

YEH in hindsight I confused the options by putting too many questions in them. I should have stuck to my initial question of 'do you mix string sets and if so when?'; e.g only for certain alternate tunings like DADGAD. Still it's also good to hear what people are using on their guitars these days.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion everyone.

thereshopeyet

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Michelle

I know all this has been discussed before but I don't change my strings as often as I'd like of maybe should.

I did try red packet of D'Addario mediums but found them difficult at the time.
Also I thing the guitars suggested they are designed for lights.
I didn't think changing the B and Hi to 13 and 17 would interfere too much.
Although I use EJ16 light strings I did use the 13 and 17 B and Hi E strings from another Daddario set.

Recently it was suggest I tried mix the B and Hi E strings from another brand but haven't yet installed them.
I've removed the brand because it wasn't selected for any reason other than gauge and reputation).

I do this because I find the higher gauge a touch firmer under my fingers and get a more solid sound.

The truth is I don't know if I'm creating a unobserved problem for myself, so if I am,
I'd appreciate any comments.

Dermot

wiley

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:55 pm

michelew

Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks for the info Wiley. That's interesting about SRV too.

Pencil graphite is a good string / nut friction reducing lubricant too. :)

This is probably a gross generalization, but I'm guessing that anyone who goes to the trouble of mixing sets of strings to get the sound they want regardless of whether it's for specific tunings or specific guitars, is also likely to understand the importance of having each string fit the nut properly. I imagine people check out the sound first and then get the nut adjusted if they decide to stick with the changed string gauges (over what it was set up for) on any long-term basis.

All good reminders though.

Thanks.

M

michelew

Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:41 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Michelle

I know all this has been discussed before but I don't change my strings as often as I'd like of maybe should.

I did try red packet of D'Addario mediums but found them difficult at the time.
Also I thing the guitars suggested they are designed for lights.
I didn't think changing the B and Hi to 13 and 17 would interfere too much.
Although I use EJ16 light strings I did use the 13 and 17 B and Hi E strings from another Daddario set.

Recently it was suggest I tried mix the B and Hi E strings from another brand but haven't yet installed them.
I've removed the brand because it wasn't selected for any reason other than gauge and reputation).

I do this because I find the higher gauge a touch firmer under my fingers and get a more solid sound.

The truth is I don't know if I'm creating a unobserved problem for myself, so if I am,
I'd appreciate any comments.

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

It's interesting that you're exploring that at the moment. Let us know how you find it. Wiley has provided lots of info on potential nut and relief issues. If you decide to stick with the change you might want to checK the issues he mentions.

If you're getting the sound you want then I guess another issue is playability, which you've already alluded to. How does it feel? Is it harder to barre the strings for example? If so, is the change in playability worth the improvement in sound? Only you can answer that question.

Keep us posted on your exploration. :)

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic