Which strings do you use, when? AND Do you mix string sets? Poll included.

michelew

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Wiley's thread about multi-scale guitars got me wondering about strings again. Sorry if this thread is a lot like others I've started.

I know some of you have multiple guitars and you reserve one or two for alternate tunings. I also know that some of you mix up your string sets to get the sounds you want; like higher gauge on your trebles to make them sparkle, or the bass to make it boom.

I'm wondering how prevalent these practices are amongst the community. So since we haven't had a poll for a while, I thought I'd throw one up.

If you fall into the 'other' category, I'd love to hear what you do. I'd also welcome more detail from anyone.

Do you use the same standard strings straight out of the box all the time, or do you change it up to suit the guitar, the tuning, your body or for some other reasons?

Poll attached.

Thanks

M

BTW - I'm not talking about nylon on your classical and metals on your steel string, or even very light strings on your electric, of course you need different strings for different families of guitars.

michelew

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:08 pm

I've responded with "standard lights always" because when I'm using Elixor strings, I use 12s.

But it is a little different in reality. While I used a set straight out of the box, they are slightly different from standard lights. When I visited Seattle last year, Dennis put me onto RARE, DR strings. (12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 54). They are designed for rosewood guitars and are suppose to give a beefier response from the sixth string especially, which I think they do. The difference isn't enormous, but I do think they make a difference without making them harder to play.

Some of you may remember my experiment with different string gauges when I was exploring open G on the Yamaha (which had a shorter scale length). I sold it to a nice woman who is just starting her guitar adventure. It was a solid guitar, but the neck was too thin for me and I just didn't get a sound I was happy with out of it. Changing the sixth, first and second strings did make a big difference to the sound, but I just didn't like it enough or play it enough to warrant keeping it. So I guess in that case I did use different strings for different guitars, or at least different tunings. :)

wiley

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:44 pm

michelew

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Wiley, you're absolutely right about needing to consider the nut. When I tried mixing mediums and lights on the Yamaha, the sixth did sit a little higher, but it didn't buzz from memory. I did, however, have an issue with the peg popping out on the sixth. I had to make the groove in the peg itself slightly wider. ... And it still threatened to pop out at times. :) operator error most likely. :)

TGNesh

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:00 am

In truth Shel, I could use a Strings-Workshop.....

I have no idea what I'm doing and am just trying out in general. I do tend to go for 0.11 often.

But other than that....i have no clue or whatsoever....There I admit it. :S :blink: :(

If someone can enlighten me, then by all means! :)

michelew

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:14 am

Ness,

We all know you could make six rubber bands on a stick sound good. Whatever you may think you lack in string theory (knowledge of different strings) :) you kill in mad skills, musicality and pure cool.

You make 11s sound GREAT!

The right strings for you are simply the ones that sound right and feel right, to and for YOU. Whatever you're using already sounds right to us.

I moved from 11s in search of a bigger sound (fuller and not tinny). I found it in 12s but I had to learn to adjust to the extra tension. Given you're having wrist problems, staying with 11s for the moment at least is probably a good plan.

But, you could always try a different set next time you restring one of you steel string guitars and see whether it makes any difference for you. :)

Shel

michelew

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:36 pm

Ness,

Before you arrived at TG, we often had discussions about the strings people were using and preferred on their acoustics. Here are Some from that time and more recently that you might find interesting.

Bear's poll asking the community whether we use very light (10s, 0.010), custom light (11s, 0.011), light (12s, 0.012), medium (13s, 0.013) or other gauge strings.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/6-a ... html#51965

You'll see that people mostly use 11s, 12s and some big tough guys with grips like vices :) use 13s. The gauge I'm referring to is the thickness of the high e string. So your 11s are in the same range as the rest of the community. It's preference from there.

Here's a thread I posted in mid-2010 when I wanted to use higher tension strings to get a better sound
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/7-a ... rings.html

Here's a thread Jean started last year where she was considering moving from 11s to 12s and her experience.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... stion.html

Here's some advice that Doug gave me on mixing string sets for alternate tunings (DADGAD specifically) and guitars with different scale lengths (e.g. Shorter).

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/142 ... tml#126013

I hope you find this enlightening and not too much info.

Shel :kiss:

TGNesh

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:50 am

I'm glad you think so Shel! :) :)

The last year, I've tried out all sorts of strings, both 0.11 and 0.12 on two different guitars. I've written down on the package if I liked it or not, that's about it.

The ones which are on both guitars now are fine, 0.11 indeed. 0.12 is fine for me too, no matter the wrist injury.

Maybe I just need a new guitar! :P

Many thanks for all the links, I'll check it out later.

Ness

michelew wrote:
Ness,

We all know you could make six rubber bands on a stick sound good. Whatever you may think you lack in string theory (knowledge of different strings) :) you kill in mad skills, musicality and pure cool.

You make 11s sound GREAT!

The right strings for you are simply the ones that sound right and feel right, to and for YOU. Whatever you're using already sounds right to us.

I moved from 11s in search of a bigger sound (fuller and not tinny). I found it in 12s but I had to learn to adjust to the extra tension. Given you're having wrist problems, staying with 11s for the moment at least is probably a good plan.

But, you could always try a different set next time you restring one of you steel string guitars and see whether it makes any difference for you. :)

Shel

michelew

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:10 am

New guitar! Haha! Now you're talkin'. :) :P cool way to check out new strings. :)

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:08 am

Nice collection of reminder links Michelle .... :)

D'Addario EJ16's

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic