Other stringed things that are fun to play - what's your favourite?

michelew

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:12 pm

I really do have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to instruments, but I have to admit that there are still other instruments I'd like to acquire, especially other stringed things. The list includes a mandolin, lap steel, banjo, octave mandolin and in my wildest dreams (when I win the lotto) a double bass. :)

If I do get a new instrument at some point, it will probably be a mandolin. I've been scanning
EBay for bargains of course. While doing that, I've come across the hybrid banjo/mandolin. Curious! Is this the best of both worlds or just a gimmick and a bit of fun? I suppose it's the ukulele of banjos. So higher of course. :)

So my questions on this warm Sunday (32 oC here today (90 oF) Yeh!!!!!) for you all are as follows:

Banjo/mandolin:
- Has anyone played a banjo/mandolin?
- What do they sound like. Tinny?
- Are they a poor substitute for either a banjo or a mandolin? Are they just a bit of fun or an instrument in their own right?

Other stringed things:
- When you're not playing guitar, is there another instrument that you enjoy playing?
- If so what is it? And why do you enjoy it?
What do you play when you need a guitar vacation or you're just looking for a different sound?

OK that's enough of an inquisition for today. :)

Curious. Thanks.

Michele

wrsomers

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:59 am

Hi Michele,
Here is a you tube link for a banjolin. An interesting instrument.

When I need a break from the guitar, I play my piano. Mostly Scott Joplin rags. Someday I'd like to do a PIP video of a Jackson Browne song with me on guitar and piano. Could be fun.

Bill

michelew

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks for that Bill. Isn't youtube a wonderful resource? Your link lead me to quite a few different videos. People are getting some really nice sounds out of it. One thing that stops me getting a banjo for the moment is just how loud they are. Though I guess they can be muted too.

Regarding the Jackson Browne multi-PIP video, what's stopping you? I'm sure you'd enjoy the process and the community would enjoy watching it. Talent is talent. Go for it.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic